Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

What I've learnt so far today studying:
    History makes me sleep like a baby. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

What experiments would ye focus on in Biology?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Starting to panic a little.

I haven't really went over Irish yet (and I do HL Irish :pac:)

But I'm confident enough in the rest of the subjects, I'm almost finished Geography, will need to go over English and learn a few topic-specific phrases in French

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

David1994 wrote: »

Was literally just about to ask that. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I wish I understood all the deeper concepts of maths. I used to get them when I had my old teacher because he went a bit slower, and I still find myself using them in indices and things like that, maths made sense back then. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

A strange thing happened today. I did some Maths Paper 2 questions and got them all right... Must be just a one off :o

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

It's mad thinking this time next week I'll be done English Paper 1 and Home Ec! Omg =[

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

A strange thing happened today. I did some Maths Paper 2 questions and got them all right... Must be just a one off :o

SNAP!
    literally just got off the marking scheme from the 2010 exam :P I've finally hit that turning point where everything suddenly comes together and makes sense maybe? Or bay it was just a once off ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

All of them! I've been learning chemistry experiments for the last few days and I can't waaait to go over the bio ones, they're so nice in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

SNAP!
    literally just got off the marking scheme from the 2010 exam :P I've finally hit that turning point where everything suddenly comes together and makes sense maybe? Or bay it was just a once off ;)
    I dunno, it was like an epiphany! I was just sitting in study doing paper 2s and suddenly I noticed that I was getting full questions out even one Q8! Maybe it is all coming together! :pac: Would be amazing if it was tbh because all I want is a C3.. Would be ecstatic with a C1 :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

For biology I've learnt:

Enzyme experiments
    Animal/plant cell staining experiments
    Light intensity on rate photosynthesis
    Production of alcohol by yeast
    Osmosis experiment
    Isolate DNA from plant tissue
    Growth of leaf yeast using agar plates
    Dissection of heart
    IAA experiment

Learn the enzyme experiments and IAA experiment anyway (Came up 2006,2008,2010).

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rosualt

The leaving cert is one week from today. Joining boards is maybe not the best idea :P

finality wrote: »
    All of them! I've been learning chemistry experiments for the last few days and I can't waaait to go over the bio ones, they're so nice in comparison.

I know the chemistry ones are so eww... :P I have 6 days to study for chemistry as its my last :D Thank god!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I'm flashcarding my Geography answers the last hour. I'm going to try and get them all done by tonight. I've 1 Option essay left to do, 7 Regional essays to do. Not bothering doing my last Soil essay, 4 Physical or Human elective. I've good enough notes on them!

I'm flashcarding my Geography answers the last hour. I'm going to try and get them all done by tonight. I've 1 Option essay left to do, 7 Regional essays to do. Not bothering doing my last Soil essay, 4 Physical or Human elective. I've good enough notes on them!

Hmmm..Sounds like a good idea if I knew what the concept of flashcarding involved :cool:
    Shed some light please? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I know the chemistry ones are so eww... :P I have 6 days to study for chemistry as its my last :D Thank god!

I've 5 as physics is the day before and German study won't take much time. Doing all the experiments during this next week, and studying everything else during those 5 days. Then I have 2 days before applied maths... my exams are actually really spread out, I have four 2 day breaks over the course of the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

English starts in less than 1 week, wow, my procrastination is hitting me hard now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

I'm avoiding boards like the plague during the leaving. Post mortems aren't my thing :/

omg a guy I know tweeted a picture of his cat with his boyfriend while they were trying to write songs, so I favourited it because it was reaaaally cute but when I opened the image I also opened replies and I ACCIDENTLY FAVOURITED A RANDOMER'S REPLY.

I MUST LOOK SO CREEPY.
    I FEEL SO CREEPY.
    OH GOD ;_;

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

I must be the only person I know who actually wouldn't mind repeating. I mean, I actually really like the subjects I'm doing especially Maths, Applied Maths, Physics and French and hey geography's a walk in the park :) I'd definitely take up Economics or Accounting though because English and Irish, no matter how hard I try in them, I don't think I'd be able to get an A1 in them. Looking back, if I had an extra subject I honestly think I'd get 15 more points, I've put so much work into English and Irish and if I used that time on something else I'd surely get an A1 in it. But yeah I wouldn't really mind repeating if I had to, but probably won't anyway. Point is, I don't think the leaving is as bad as people make it out to be.

That's my random post for the day :pac:

Oh and about the maths in primary school thing, I was taught algebra since 5th class! I thought every school was thought algebra, but only now I realise I'm wrong :L
    And I think a 3rd language should definitely be introduced in primary schools. After about 12 years of learning Irish grammar I STILL don't know when to put in a seibhiu haha :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

Wesc. wrote: »
    geography's a walk in the park :)

lnKGQ.gif

Ah but it is a nice breath of fresh air from things like maths. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

lnKGQ.gif

I've had my answers done out since the start of 6th year.. and I've learnt them all of many times so I know them all anyway!:)

If there's one very good method to learn things off, it's constantly looking over them. For geo I've learnt off effectively the whole course (apart from options) for 5th year summer tests, christmas tests, mocks, and twice I've done the whole course in the last month. So basically I've been well prepared for this subject for a long time :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

For anyone who's a bit worried about honours maths, the guy on Countdown to 606 said the failure rate is only 4%, which is a lot lower than you'd expect! There's a load of tips for both honours and pass, I'd recommend listening to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

I just get less and less motivated the closer the exams come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

...Another ofc is that lots of kids have parents who go "oh, maths! always hated it! you poor thing, you!" and the kids internalise their attitudes and perpetuate the cycle.

I went into Maths in fifth year with no notion of dropping to ordinary level. Then every second person I met told me how difficult and time-consuming it was. And my mother kept mentioning the fact that I wouldn't be doing higher for the Leaving anyway. :rolleyes: Put me right off the subject when it used to be my favourite. I lasted three weeks before dropping to ordinary level. :mad: Obviously that was due to my own stupid decision-making, but jaysus, listening to people who had no idea about the course telling me it was almost impossible didn't help! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Ally7 wrote: »
    For anyone who's a bit worried about honours maths, the guy on Countdown to 606 said the failure rate is only 4%, which is a lot lower than you'd expect! There's a load of tips for both honours and pass, I'd recommend listening to it!

Ah but we're all aiming for the A1 here :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

**** I'm under-prepared. And boards/facebook isn't helping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Ah but we're all aiming for the A1 here :cool:

256px-YaoMing-meme.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Just got back from the cinema. I only got maths and part of a Rich essay done. I'll try and study til 11 today. I have business and the rest of that essay to do.

I've never understood how flash cards work either . I haven't tried making them I don't know how to get all the information down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement