Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Togepi wrote: »
    256px-YaoMing-meme.png

No slacking now, we agreed, Sarah for 625.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

How many subjects is everyone studying everyday?
    I only seem to get 3 subjects sometimes 4 at the most.
    I did 6 subjects during easter but spent less time . Now I do less subjects but more time on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Eathrin wrote: »
    No slacking now, we agreed, Sarah for 625.

Now now Cian! :P I repeat:

yao-ming-meme.jpg

Edit: My picture done disappeareded. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

Is higher level maths really as hard as everyone makes it out to be? Even just to scrape a pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Now now Cian! :P I repeat:

yao-ming-meme.jpg
    Is that a pun there? :P
    Raeone wrote: »
    Is higher level maths really as hard as everyone makes it out to be? Even just to scrape a pass?
    I find it really difficult but I guess if you know how to do it its not too bad. I'd never, ever, ever be able for an A1 though, its just impossible to me :')

Is the fail rate really just 4%?! That seems crazy low, but then again 10% would be quite high :L

• Advertisement

Patchy~ wrote: »

It wasn't meant to be! But yeah, I noticed it while I was typing it. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I went to study for 6 hours today! But I only got 1 chapter of Biology and a tiny bit of Irish done. Wtf is wrong with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Ah it's not that bad :) It's just a good stress relief to complain about it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

It depends on how much you like maths, how capable you are at it, and most importantly, whether or not you have a good teacher. I'm guessing you're going into 5th year, so my advice would be to try it and see how you get on. There'll be plenty of time to drop if you feel you have to.

Not many people agree with me(So there's kind of an answer right there) but in my full and honest opinion Higher Maths is by far the easiest subject on the leaving cert, yes, by far.
    Listen, lots of people struggle with maths so I can accept that it's not so easy for everyone, but in my case, I find it to be extremely handy as I've never had to do a single bit of maths homework and I'd be very confident of an A1.
    Regardless of what anyone says there are more difficult subjects and nobody can deny that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

I find it really difficult but I guess if you know how to do it its not too bad. I'd never, ever, ever be able for an A1 though, its just impossible to me :')

Is the fail rate really just 4%?! That seems crazy low, but then again 10% would be quite high :L

Well the fail rate was actually 3.1% last year, 3.6% in 2010 and 3.2% in 2009. See if you take in account only 8,237 sat HL Maths last year, 8,390 in 2010 and 8,420 in 2009 out of 54,341 candidates in 2011. The reason is there are not that many doing it and therefore the fail rate is low.

In all fairness the subject is quite difficult and especially when you get faced with a paper like last year :'( :eek: :( it doesn't help. Out of my class of 8 :confused: only one failed, but that doesn't say much. I got a D2 and I am studying maths in college :confused: :eek: :o :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Higher Level Maths isn't hard as long as you make sure to understand every concept proposed.

I do 1 - 2 subjects a day. Mainly English and Maths. But now Maths P1 revision is complete, I can move on to Bio and Business for which I'll have little time to revise in between exams.

Well the fail rate was actually 3.1% last year, 3.6% in 2010 and 3.2% in 2009. See if you take in account only 8,237 sat HL Maths last year, 8,390 in 2010 and 8,420 in 2009 out of 54,341 candidates in 2011. The reason is there are not that many doing it and therefore the fail rate is low.

In all fairness the subject is quite difficult and especially when you get faced with a paper like last year :'( :eek: :( it doesn't help. Out of my class of 8 :confused: only one failed, but that doesn't say much. I got a D2 and I am studying maths in college :confused: :eek: :o :rolleyes:
    Ahhh true :/ Last year's exam was horrific :eek: I think I'd cry if it happened this year, especially with Project Maths D:
    reznov wrote: »
    Higher Level Maths isn't hard as long as you make sure to understand every concept proposed.

I do 1 - 2 subjects a day. Mainly English and Maths. But now Maths P1 revision is complete, I can move on to Bio and Business for which I'll have little time to revise in between exams.
    I find it so hard to imagine some of it though...like for whatever reason, when integrating a graph above/below the x-axis it cancels itself out unless you do it to 0, yet that doesnt happen with the y-axis. Things like that just make no sense to me, and even the idea of using integration in real life situations seems crazy :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Ahhh true :/ Last year's exam was horrific :eek: I think I'd cry if it happened this year, especially with Project Maths D:

I find it so hard to imagine some of it though...like for whatever reason, when integrating a graph above/below the x-axis it cancels itself out unless you do it to 0, yet that doesnt happen with the y-axis. Things like that just make no sense to me, and even the idea of using integration in real life situations seems crazy :confused:

Last year's exam was grand. Don't know why the freak out in all honesty.
    Best example of integration in real life is the deriving of formulas for volumes of any area. You could then apply the formula to render a 3D shape. Love that topic. Guess you need a certain passion for Maths to enjoy it, as with all subjects. An excellent teacher is compulsory, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I feel genuinely upset when people talk about finding maths easy at this stage. :( I loved maths for the JC, and always did really well. Then the LC happened and the ridiculous teacher I have now shattered my confidence completely. I don't mean to sound cocky but I know I could have been able to get an A or a B if I'd had a better teacher. Once I have things explained to me properly, I'll understand them and then be able to go off and work with them. But I haven't been taught maths properly in 3 years (did TY and had an equally bad teacher) and now I'll be lucky if I get a C.

/stupid rant over

I know we kind of went through this before, but I just did some more probability and figured out (and/or remembered!) that if I study 3 poets I've got a 93% chance of one of them coming up. :D (Or 100% if I'm to base it on the past 10 years or so of papers, which I'm so not...)

<_<

>_>

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Just checked the Euro 2012 schedule there. I have exams the next day after two of Irelands matches. Its going to be really frustrating and muck up my last minute panic studying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

This is because the area above the x axis is positive and the area below is negative.

So you have to do them separately and add their magnitudes, or you'll be subtracting one from the other.

It doesn't happen with the y axis because you're finding the area enclosed by a curve and the x axis, it's all still above the x axis so the area is all positive.

If it still doesn't make sense that's ok :P

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Just checked the Euro 2012 schedule there. I have exams the next day after two of Irelands matches. Its going to be really frustrating and muck up my last minute panic studying!

When is Euro 2012 starting? :o
    Thank god im not mad into sport

I know we kind of went through this before, but I just did some more probability and figured out (and/or remembered!) that if I study 3 poets I've got a 93% chance of one of them coming up. :D (Or 100% if I'm to base it on the past 10 years or so of papers, which I'm so not...)

<_<

>_>

What poets are you doing?
    Seeing as they're 3 women you could study the 3 women as one of them has to come up. All the teachers always say that. I don't know if you could risk any other 3 poets as they might not come up.

• Advertisement

finality wrote: »
    This is because the area above the x axis is positive and the area below is negative.

So you have to do them separately and add their magnitudes, or you'll be subtracting one from the other.

It doesn't happen with the y axis because you're finding the area enclosed by a curve and the x axis, it's all still above the x axis so the area is all positive.

If it still doesn't make sense that's ok :P
    Ooooooooooh! And if it was a curve wrapped around the y-axis it'd be the other way around?
    You should just be my maths teacher. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Ooooooooooh! And if it was a curve wrapped around the y-axis it'd be the other way around?
    You should just be my maths teacher. :P

Yup, exactly :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I thought if you did 3 there was a 27% chance one you haven't done will come up and if you do 4 there's a 1.4% chance of failure.That's what I saw when I did it out anyway.I'm only doing 4 so hopefully I get away with it.

What poets are you doing?
    Seeing as they're 3 women you could study the 3 women as one of them has to come up. All the teachers always say that. I don't know if you could risk any other 3 poets as they might not come up.

I'm learning the 3 women even though they're not quite guaranteed to come up. Might study Frost too just incase.

I'm learning the 3 women even thought they're not quite guaranteed to come up. Might study Frost too just incase.

Oh I thought the women were or thats what my teacher said that one woman has to come up. An then an irish poet. I know Rich or Plath more than the other poets. I really hope I don't end up having to answer on Heaney. Kavanagh wouldn't be too bad . I don't know his poems well so I'm just learning a sample answer.

Chavways wrote: »
    I thought if you did 3 there was a 27% chance one you haven't done will come up and if you do 4 there's a 1.4% chance of failure.That's what I saw when I did it out anyway.I'm only doing 4 so hopefully I get away with it.

The 1.4% is spot on. To get 93% though, I used the fact that there are 5 possible ways the 5 other poets could come up without one of the ones I've studied, then divided that by 8C4 or 70, giving 7% ie. a 93% chance of one of mine coming up. I think that's right!

I'm doing 1 poet.
    ..watchout we got a badass..etc.etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I'm doing 1 poet.

If that's not putting all your eggs in one basket then I don't know what is.

I'm doing 1 poet.

Not going to lie, if your poet comes up I'll be pissed. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

It's Cian, knowing him it'll be the poet that question 1 is on.

I spent all day today doing Maths. Actually confident for that paper now. Tomorrow will be English, methinks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement