Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

Happy happy birthday :) Don't study too much today :) Little break can't hurt :)

Oh Joey I member you telling me that :( we have to do something after economics, like our whole class :P last class to have an exam in that school :P
    ha btw did you hear the roof is coming off while we are doing the leaving ? :rolleyes: our school truly hates us :P

Didn't they spend the start of 6th year putting on a new roof? Ruining the entire year for us :rolleyes: I haven't been in since the grad, anything I should know? Like, where are we doing the exams? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Just a quick question about English poetry answers:
    If you intend to discuss 4 poems from the poet,do you have to mention 6 poems somewhere in your answer? Or can you just list your 4 poems and still maintain full marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

David1994 wrote: »
    If you intend to discuss 4 poems from the poet,do you have to mention 6 poems somewhere in your answer? Or can you just list your 4 poems and still maintain full marks?

Don't mention poems in passing just to say enough. If you're not going to talk about poems, don't just throw the name in and not say anything about it, especially at the start, as it can look like you've run out of time. Only mention a poem if you are actually making a point about it, or you're linking it to another poem. For me, I just talk exclusively about 4 poems, and any others only come in if I'm cross-referencing.

Don't mention poems in passing just to say enough. If you're not going to talk about poems, don't just throw the name in and not say anything about it, especially at the start, as it can look like you've run out of time. Only mention a poem if you are actually making a point about it, or you're linking it to another poem. For me, I just talk exclusively about 4 poems, and any others only come in if I'm cross-referencing.

Thanks I am the same as you...I prefer discussing 4 in detail then 6 in less detail :P Thanks for clearing that up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I'm only doing three poems in detail and maybe one in passing. That's how I've always done it. Definitely enough for 40/50 anyway! :)

• Advertisement

Togepi wrote: »
    I'm only doing three poems in detail and maybe one in passing. That's how I've always done it. Definitely enough for 40/50 anyway! :)

Yeah I sometimes just discuss three..Depends how the answer is progressing I suppose for me :D Do you know if they are strict on quotations..Like a certain amount needed in your answer?

Yeah I sometimes just discuss three..Depends how the answer is progressing I suppose for me :D Do you know if they are strict on quotations..Like a certain amount needed in your answer?

I doubt that they want a certain number of quotes. :P Just weave them in as necessary and it'll be perfect! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Joey. wrote: »
    Didn't they spend the start of 6th year putting on a new roof? Ruining the entire year for us :rolleyes: I haven't been in since the grad, anything I should know? Like, where are we doing the exams? :pac:

haha I know right, ugh cant believe they wont wait till we are finished them :L
    Haven't been in since friday, havent a clue where we are for the exams, but i heard we aint in the new building like they led us to believe :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

Personally I'd mention all six but try not to just name-drop the two not being discussed in detail.. For example if you were talking about nature in Heaney's poetry you might mention ''A Call'' at your paragraphs conclusion (and briefly describe why etc.).

It's better to mention them then to just ignore them completely..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Happy Birthday Mysteriouschic.

I've decided that I'm only going to prepare poetry for Plath and Rich. If they don't come up so be it.

• Advertisement

I doubt that they want a certain number of quotes. :P Just weave them in as necessary and it'll be perfect! :)

Ah cool :) Dunno why but forgetting quotes is a personal fear of mine :P

Ah cool :) Dunno why but forgetting quotes is a personal fear of mine :P

My old teacher got us to learn off all of the poems so I've no fear of that! :D

@Martin_94 I think Boland's coming up. :P Or maaaybe Rich. But I highly doubt that Plath is despite what everyone thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cillian95

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Happy Birthday Mysteriouschic.

I've decided that I'm only going to prepare poetry for Plath and Rich. If they don't come up so be it.

Yeah I know Plath. Rich and Heaney REALLY well. I'm going to glance over my other two (Kavanagh and Boland) just in case everything goes tits up. Not getting a poet would be awful.

I know Heaney, Plath and Boland quite well... Might have a look over Kavanagh and Frost just in case though.

It really does pain me to have to revise so much stuff that has a minimal chance of turning up on the paper. At least in subjects like Maths, Irish and German it seems like all, or at least most of the study is useful to revise.

cillian95 wrote: »
    Yeah I know Plath. Rich and Heaney REALLY well. I'm going to glance over my other two (Kavanagh and Boland) just in case everything goes tits up. Not getting a poet would be awful.

If Plath doesn't come up I will be so sickened, that would be any chance of an A gone and then if Rich doesn't comes up I'll be struggling to get a B. I'm thinking of learning an essay off on Heaney if I have time. Do you know where there's any samples.

Yeah we never had to do that so I have some quotes learnt off for each poem :P Though if I forget a quote I will probably just take a word out of the whole quote!

@Martin_94 I think Boland's coming up. :P Or maaaybe Rich. But I highly doubt that Plath is despite what everyone thinks.

:( I hope she does, maybe I should learn an essay on Boland just in case. Female poet has came up every single year.

@rkeano5 Yeah so much of what we're learning is pointless as we'll never actually get to display our knowledge of it in the exam.

How is everyone else for their comparative? Call me crazy but I have four/five points that I am using no matter what the essay is or the mode. I essentially have a single essay for my comparative.

If Plath doesn't come up I will be so sickened, that would be any chance of an A gone and then if Rich doesn't comes up I'll be struggling to get a B. I'm thinking of learning an essay off on Heaney if I have time. Do you know where there's any samples.

Mate just go learn him today. No joke we started him last week! Went in for a class and flew through his poems. I came home, learned the poems and just googled interesting analysis them.

:( I hope she does, maybe I should learn an essay on Boland just in case. Female poet has came up every single year.

Personally I'd do Boland as a third poet, purely because of the females thing. But if you prefer Heaney then he'd be a good choice. :) Honestly I'd be surprised if both Heaney and Plath were left off the paper.

• Advertisement

I actually don't mind what the whole paper is like, as long as Rich is NOT the female poet. I reckon Boland has a better chance of being on the paper than some people think, because the question on her last year was fairly tricky..

@rkeano5 Yeah so much of what we're learning is pointless as we'll never actually get to display our knowledge of it in the exam.

How is everyone else for their comparative? Call me crazy but I have four/five points that I am using no matter what the essay is or the mode. I essentially have a single essay for my comparative.

Same here, I'm actually not too worried about the comparative. Did well in it in the mocks. I know the texts fairly well.

Edit. Wait, do you mean that your points are all the same even if it's Literary Genre, Theme or GVV

Mate just go learn him today. No joke we started him last week! Went in for a class and flew through his poems. I came home, learned the poems and just googled interesting analysis them.

I think I'll just learn the female poets, hopefully Plath will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

If you picked compatible texts which are closely related e.g. Dancing at lughnasa and Sive, you can practically have one essay for both Theme and GVV. Although you may need to expand the basis in GVV.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Has anyone looked at effects of globalisation in the geography exam skills books? It seems like it doesn't talk about the effects at all

Same here, I'm actually not too worried about the comparative. Did well in it in the mocks. I know the texts fairly well.

Edit. Wait, do you mean that your points are all the same even if it's Literary Genre, Theme or GVV

We only did theme and GVV. But, yeah I have the exact same points and just adapt them to GVV or Theme/Issue. Like our Theme is conflict so I use the same points in GVV and just comment on how it effects the GVV with less emphasis on conflict.

We only did theme and GVV. But, yeah I have the exact same points and just adapt them to GVV or Theme/Issue. Like our Theme is conflict so I use the same points in GVV and just comment on how it effects the GVV with less emphasis on conflict.

Ohh right, be grand so. I'm not doing GVV, I prefer the Literary genre and theme question.

Has anyone looked at effects of globalisation in the geography exam skills books? It seems like it doesn't talk about the effects at all
    I don't know about the exam skills book, but it's easy enough to talk about the effects of Globalisation using China as an example. Do you have ''Today's World''?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Human Elective for Geography is done. 13 essays, took me 5 hours to learn them all! Now I have 4 Geoecology essays to try and get done today, if I get them all covered i'll be happy! Physical is fairly handy so i've only Regional to do and I should be covered for the A hopefully!

• Advertisement

Anyone else dreading irish? Haven't studied for it (ever) so I'm just planning to wing the ordinary paper on the day...

What exam is everyone most worried for?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement