Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

I prefer to do it as it highlights to the examiner your supporting points. Just as in Business ABQs so he can instantly recognises you've linked to the question asked and will give you a mark. Of course, if you have very few references, you should just hide behind the shroud of black/blue ink to disguise the lack of quotes.

Personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

finality wrote: »
    Yeah I think I imagined that. :L But you definitely lose marks :P

I read the 2011 marking scheme and looked through the chief examiner's report. It never says anywhere to deduct marks if only two texts are used. I'll keep it safe and talk about three but I just can't see how they could deduct marks off you when they basically say you can use two texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Gave my cousin my laptop until after the LC. Thought I would be too lazy to use Mammy's. Here for 2 hours in bed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

I've never done this quotes-in-a-different-colour thing. To me it detracts from the flow of the essay, both for me writing it and for someone else reading it. But it's personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

Also I'm reeeally hoping a question on soliloquies comes up for Hamlet. Surely it's due up this year?

• Advertisement

Nah. Anything can come up for Hamlet. Know the play and its key scenes to ensure maximum marks. Have a variety of quotes prepared. Soliloquies are suited to most answers, perfect for reflecting Hamlet's ever dynamic state of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

reznov wrote: »
    Nah. Anything can come up for Hamlet. Know the play and its key scenes to ensure maximum marks. Have a variety of quotes prepared. Soliloquies are suited to most answers, perfect for reflecting Hamlet's ever dynamic state of mind.

****, I'm only preparing soliloquies, role of women and deception. Hopefully that covers most things so I can work around any question.

Thoughts on the poetry? I'm doing Heaney, Plath and either Frost or Rich I'm not sure which one yet! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

Yano the way you shouldn't use red/green colour pens for quotes?

Would it be ok to use like purple or some colour like that, yano the way you can get multi-coloured clicky pens?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Why bother changing colours? They don't mark your paper after glancing at it. Your essay will gain you marks, not "look at me I'm quoting!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Here for the Hamlet essay does anyone write quotes in a different colour to make them stand out? Only just thought of it there but I'm not sure if it'd be appropriate for an English exam?
    NO. That'd really infuriate an examiner and it's a big waste of time swapping from pen to pen in my opinion! What i've always done to make my quotes stand out is use this method (and it makes the essay look extra long :P)

We see Polonius' cynicism regarding young love and human relationships when he utilises animal imagery to describe how Hamlet:

'Walks with a larger tether'

He also says how he will:

'loose his daughter'

Maybe it's a bad idea but I always skip lines!

Polonius babe, please be on the paper <3 :P

• Advertisement

I'm kind of a perfectionist/ocd kinda person. :L

Must be beautiful and colourful :L

Eathrin wrote: »
    Why bother changing colours? They don't mark your paper after glancing at it. Your essay will gain you marks, not "look at me I'm quoting!"

I find it easier to the eye. Haven't lost marks for it either at JC or up to this point in the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

NO. That'd really infuriate an examiner and it's a big waste of time swapping from pen to pen in my opinion! What i've always done to make my quotes stand out is use this method (and it makes the essay look extra long :P)

We see Polonius' cynicism regarding young love and human relationships when he utilises animal imagery to describe how Hamlet:

'loose his daughter'

I'm not going to tell you not to, but my English teacher strongly recommended against this, was more in favour of incorporating quotes into your point.

'loose his daughter'

Unrecommended proceduree unless you're quoting paragraphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

I've always changed pen colour for quotes... It's not annoying for me so that's not a problem... But will I annoy an examiner by having different colours? :confused:

Edit: I know red/green can't be used... But if I wrote in black and quoted in blue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Thanks Eathrin and reznov babes for the advice! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

@PictureFrame have to agree with Eathrin and reznov, you're only meant to go onto a new line for a quote if it's very long (ie. a couple of lines), and those kind of quotes aren't recommended. It's much better to just slip them into your sentences so they flow nicely together. I'd personally find the format you use hard to read because it breaks up the sentence, but if you want to do it that way by all means go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

Are you allowed to change the colour of pens for quotes? For example green or black?

Are you allowed to change the colour of pens for quotes? For example green or black?

You're allowed to change colour as much as you want, but try to avoid using green or red because the examiners use those colours and you don't want to make things confusing! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

How much do you write when your explaining a point in business, lets say for a 20 mark question (so 4 points). How much would you write, two or three sentences? Also could someone please tell me when you put in examples. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

How likely is a soliloquy question to come up? I haven't learnt one off on that yet isit worth learning a answer for it?

But as I asked earlier, is purple pen ok for numbering etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Manic2 wrote: »
    Can't see why not!

Yeah it's fine. I'm just going to use black pen for numbering and answering in mine, not changing pen will save a few precious seconds! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Togepi wrote: »
    Does that mean you learned off essays for the Junior Cert? :eek:

I actually learnt off one or two for JC history. :L I preferred acronyms though, I had one for the buildings in some type of monastery, "cacrids" and I still remember what it stood for...

I love acronyms :o

finality wrote: »
    I actually learnt off one or two for JC history. :L I preferred acronyms though, I had one for the buildings in some type of monastery, "cacrids" and I still remember what it stood for...

I love acronyms :o

That's probably where I went wrong in Junior Cert History. :L Acronyms are epic! I have one for my whole general vision and viewpoint essay. ^_^

Yeah it's fine. I'm just going to use black pen for numbering and answering in mine, not changing pen will save a few precious seconds! :P

I hateeeeeee writing in black pen! I'm left handed so it smudges all over the place and it ends up looking so so so messy! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

That's probably where I went wrong in Junior Cert History. :L Acronyms are epic! I have one for my whole general vision and viewpoint essay. ^_^

I have one for literary genre! :D

omg soulmates

I hateeeeeee writing in black pen! I'm left handed so it smudges all over the place and it ends up looking so so so messy! :P

I used to hate blue pen, now I like it though. Black is pretty cool though, well, as long as it doesn't smudge. :P My writing's a mess anyway. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Has anyone looked at effects of globalisation in the geography exam skills books? It seems like it doesn't talk about the effects at all

Afaik, globalisation is essentially the same as colonialism, you just focus a wee bit more on how Brazil adjusted to the world economy. But your answer on colonialism should be perfect!

Thanks to the Pens thread I've a brilliant pen that I think finality suggested.. the papermate comfortmate pen! It's brilliant, smooth writing and a nice grip seem to enable me to write faster!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement