Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Hope you're ok Jonny :( sorry to hear :(
    Technically, while we procrastinate, we are in fact studying for Hamlet.

In order to understand Hamlet... You must BE Hamlet. ;)

Yeah right now i'm plotting a play to catch out my uncle instead of studying :P
    Is it bad that I havent even looked at english yet? and not planning to until the 5th :o

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Starting english now, Plath help.

In Morning Song I never understood

"Our voices echo, magnifying your arrival. New statue. In a drafty museum, your nakedness Shadows our safety"

and

"I'm no more your mother than the cloud that distils a mirror to reflect its own slow effacement at the wind's hand"

To my understanding, the second one is Plath fearing she has no control over her child, but my friend said it is a symbol for miscarriage :confused:?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Hayezer wrote: »
    Starting english now, Plath help.

In Morning Song I never understood

"Our voices echo, magnifying your arrival. New statue. In a drafty museum, your nakedness Shadows our safety"

and

"I'm no more your mother than the cloud that distils a mirror to reflect its own slow effacement at the wind's hand"

To my understanding, the second one is Plath fearing she has no control over her child, but my friend said it is a symbol for miscarriage :confused:?

First line depicts the idea that the child is vulnerable to the "elements" and as a result may threaten the safety of his mother. (my interpretation)

Yes, I believe the second one compares the detachment which the mother experiences with that of rain falling from clouds. Clouds can form precipitate, but not control its descent.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

and

Well, it's all relative to what you take away from it personally, I think.

But the first one basically is just showing how Plath feels about her child.. It's a really cold image highlighting her detachment from her child.

And the second one is kind of complex... It's saying that, like the cloud's destruction by the wind is mirrored in the pool it's created, Plath's own destruction will be mirrored in her child.

Edit: Kind of like she fears that no matter how hard she tries, her child will reflect her own disturbed mental state?

I think. :rolleyes:

Interesting, thanks lads :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

My understanding is that she is referring to herself as a cloud and her child as a puddle (product of the distillation or in this case birth). The puddle reflects the cloud's deterioration much like the child must witness Plath's gradual erosion.

England Belgium match here to ruin my leaving cert

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    I just realised that I havent gone over any theorems for maths paper 2 :eek:

Same. Be grand, there's only 3 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

finality wrote: »

Theorem 11, 12 and 13 right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Is the comparative marked on the amount of comparisons you give.
    I have a good answer on it which got me an A but it's a bit long, I want to try and shorten it. Is there an amount of comparisons you need to have in each paragraph or altogether? for the 70 mark question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

Oh my god!!!

Just found out my principal has me down for OL business when I'm doing HL!

Can I defo change to HL on the day if I ask the examiner??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Manic2 wrote: »
    Oh my god!!!

Weren't we made check that when we paid for the exams?
    You can always drop but I'm not sure about moving up, they may only have the exact amount of HL papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

http://jamietuohy.wordpress.com/category/hamlet/

Lads, this is such an amazing blog, he provides 60/60 essays for various topics on Hamlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Learnt a characteristics of soil question in like 15 minutes... I have to study alterations of biomes now and go over my Physical essays.Then launch into English for the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Oh my god!!!

How does your principal have you down for anything? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Hold up, only three to prove? Which ones may I ask? I thought we had 6 to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

leaveiton wrote: »
    Theorem 11, 12 and 13 right?

Is that on Ordinary or Higher? I do OL

How does your principal have you down for anything? :/

He came round and asked us what all subjects and levels we did and then a few days later he called us in to sign a wee thing and goes everything you told me is down on that and I was like ok grand and signed it, then we got a wee slip thing and it says I'm doing OL and I went up to him and said that I'm doing HL and he goes yeah well you signed it it's not my problem I'm sure you can move up if you ask I'm actually freaking out here!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

He came round and asked us what all subjects and levels we did and then a few days later he called us in to sign a wee thing and goes everything you told me is down on that and I was like ok grand and signed it, then we got a wee slip thing and it says I'm doing OL and I went up to him and said that I'm doing HL and he goes yeah well you signed it it's not my problem I'm sure you can move up if you ask I'm actually freaking out here!

Your principal sounds like an asshole.

Hmm should I do Kavangh or Frost? Decisions decisions. Going for Plath,Rich,Kavangh/Frost maybe the two. Boland can go away

• Advertisement

M&S* wrote: »
    Your principal sounds like an asshole.

He seriously is! Not even just because of that but he's just not a nice person in general, has favourites etc and just makes life difficult for people.

Does anyone know if I can do anything about this though because there's no way in hell I'm doing OL. No offense to those doing OL business though. :)

reznov wrote: »
    Hold up, only three to prove? Which ones may I ask? I thought we had 6 to prove.

3 Theorems : Transversal, similar triangles and side of triangle divided in same ratio one.
    6 Proofs: Trig proofs :P

And lads I solved the over ambitious 5th year problem... like a bawse :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

They can ask us to prove JC theorems too though, my book has the angles in a triangle / Pythagoras in it. Not that they'd ever be so merciful. :pac:

Patchy~ wrote: »
    They can ask us to prove JC theorems too though, my book has the angles in a triangle / Pythagoras in it. Not that they'd ever be so merciful. :pac:

They can't, you're only supposed to know how to use them. You only have to prove 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Only Theorems 11, 12 and 13 are examinable :D

^^ Is this all HL maths? :(

6 Trig proofs? What are these??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Thats for 6B, the JC theorems. They wont be just proofs, there is supposed to some twist with them

6A is theorems 11, 12, 13 and all constructions 16-22

^^ Is this all HL maths? :(
    yes :)
    6 Trig proofs? What are these??
    em prove:
    Cos^2 A + Sin^2 A = 1
    sine rule
    cosine rule
    Cos(A-B) =