Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Difference between an acid and a base is the presence of an H in the acid and OH in the base. You'll easily distinguish between the two as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Siobhnk wrote: »
    So the boyfriend practically broke up with me this morning. 3 days before the exams. I love my life.

Aw Siobhán. :( PM me if you want to chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

leaveiton wrote: »
    *WOman :p

June 3rd and the gender confusion continues...

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

Martin_94 wrote: »

I'm going to do it out 2 times, maybe 3. Just to make sure.

Ya, I think you would be better of just concentrating on them ones rather than trying to learn a new one.
    A b3 is pretty manageable. Hope you get what you want, and don't forget your paper two :)

Eathrin wrote: »

Luckily we have no species confusion. Thought you were a meerkat at first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Woops sorry :P

I generally distinguish them by the names alright, if it sorta sounds like an acid it's an acid to me :L :L

I've got another chemistry question for ye, something I never got but it's more maths related and may be relevant seeing as volatile liquid is tipped to come up.

When using the PV=nRT formula and they give you in the question say 720cm for the volume like they did in 2006, what do you have to stick into the forumla and why? It's something like 720x10 to the power of....??:confused:

I think the same happens sometimes if they give you a pressure that isn't 1x10^5 like in the log tables :confused:

Sorry if I'm not being very clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Maths paper one for practice. All 8 questions done with an hour spare. Worked out at 93%.
    Slightly less panicked over Friday now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Let me be you .___.

reznov wrote: »
    Luckily we have no species confusion. Thought you were a meerkat at first.

I get that a lot.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Hayezer wrote: »
    Woops sorry :P

I generally distinguish them by the names alright, if it sorta sounds like an acid it's an acid to me :L :L

I've got another chemistry question for ye, something I never got but it's more maths related and may be relevant seeing as volatile liquid is tipped to come up.

When using the PV=nRT formula and they give you in the question say 720cm for the volume like they did in 2006, what do you have to stick into the forumla and why? It's something like 720x10 to the power of....??:confused:

I think the same happens sometimes if they give you a pressure that isn't 1x10^5 like in the log tables :confused:

Sorry if I'm not being very clear!

You always have to use standard units. Standard unit for volume is metres cubed, standard unit for pressure is Pa (also known as N per sq metre).

I know there's an official number to change cubic cm to cubic m, I can never remember so I like to draw out the volume as a cube with sides labelled in cm, change them to m and re-multiply. My very long and awkward but always dead right method :o

For pressure, just make sure you can get it into Pascals. So if they give you 10 kPa, go to the prefixes page in the tables, k reads off as 10^3 so its 10 x 10^3.

Mail me if this doesn't make sense and I'll try explain better!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

leaveiton wrote: »
    *WOman :p

I still can't believe couer is a guy :P

Okay I really need your help now guys.
    We have NEVER done anything on paper 1 in English class, mocks went horribly needless to say.
    If anybody's willing to give a few minutes to share a few pointers I'd be very grateful.
    Honestly I need help from the ground up, I have no idea how to answer a part A question , I hardly know what they ask in the part B questions. I can't see myself doing fantastically well in the essay either, first one was in the mocks and only got 3 1/2 pages out of a personal essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Oh god I cant understand my own Irish essays.
    WHY. D:

New study plan. Find the salmon of knowledge. :P

Cian, I'm not the best at english but if you need help PM me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Okay I really need your help now guys.
    We have NEVER done anything on paper 1 in English class, mocks went horribly needless to say.
    If anybody's willing to give a few minutes to share a few pointers I'd be very grateful.
    Honestly I need help from the ground up, I have no idea how to answer a part A question , I hardly know what they ask in the part B questions. I can't see myself doing fantastically well in the essay either, first one was in the mocks and only got 3 1/2 pages out of a personal essay.

I'm usually okay with paper 1. The question A's they usually have different question texts on different styles of writing. Like they'll be a narrative text, informative etc... The first QA is usually a giving evidence question about the text. Then there's questions where you'd have to give your opinion . And there's usually a question where you have to analyse the styles of writing used. Like if the writer used descriptive of informative styles give examples in the text where they were using that style.
    Here's a good site I found this really helpful.

http://www.aoifesnotes.com/leaving-cert/ordinary-level/Paper-One/docs/comprehension-question-a/Comprehension%20Question%20A.pdf

http://www.aoifesnotes.com/leaving-cert/higher-level/Paper-One/docs/language-genres/The%20Five%20Language%20Genres.pdf

http://www.aoifesnotes.com/leaving-cert/higher-level/Paper-One/docs/comprehension-question-b/Comprehension%20Question%20B.pdf

And choose which composition you plan to do in advance find which one suits you.

M&S* wrote: »
    I think that's a nice storyline. It's different and not completely obscure.

Yeah I finished writing this. I think it's more effective. I can make it more personal too. The other story I couldn't get to work and maybe not as interesting. And this story wasn't as forced it just came to me .

New study plan. Find the salmon of knowledge. :P

Cian, I'm not the best at english but if you need help PM me :)

Too late, ate the salmon last evening. :cool:

It's now extinct.

Too late, ate the salmon last evening. :cool:

It's now extinct.

Reznov yet again foiling my plans. :P Next you'll tell me you've found Tir na Nog :P Hands off, that's my next quest :P
    Maybe if I ate a normal salmon... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Martin_94 wrote: »

I'm going to do it out 2 times, maybe 3. Just to make sure.

That might not be the best strategy, you might end up rushing to get the questions done quickly so you can do them twice and maybe misread something as a result.

What I do is mark off any questions I'm absolutely certain I got right and circle the hardest ones, and then at the end go back over the ones I wasn't 100% certain of, giving priority to the circled questions. That way there's no wasting time doing the easy questions again.

Reznov yet again foiling my plans. :P Next you'll tell me you've found Tir na Nog :P Hands off, that's my next quest :P
    Maybe if I ate a normal salmon... :pac:

Tir na Nog? More like Tir now Old. Your quests are predictable. I am your foil as Laertes is to Hamlet.

Eat a normal salmon which is juiced with mercury. Experience newfound lunacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Where did the phrase 'as mad as a hatter' come from ;). Junior Cert science teacher told us this!

Tir na Nog? More like Tir now Old. Your quests are predictable. I am your foil as Laertes is to Hamlet.

Eat a normal salmon which is juiced with mercury. Experience newfound lunacy.

Another quest of mine is to catch all 150 pokemon :P bet you didn't see that one coming :P
    I am but mad north northwest. And Reznoz, you are a fishmonger :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Hey! If anyone did the Examcraft HL English Paper, could you let me know what 4 poets came up? I did DEB and am just looking at both papers to get an indication of what they're predicting! (I know they've nothing to do with the actual exams, but i'm curious!) Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

Heaney, Kinsella, Larkin and Plath came up on Examcraft!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Another quest of mine is to catch all 150 pokemon :P

A Boardsie can dream. :')

Finished my short story. Anyone wanna do me a favor and read it and tell me if it's good enough or how to improve it? It'd be great help. Only if you have the time though. Thanks. I think it's okay but it's hard to judge yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

smithy77 wrote: »
    Heaney, Kinsella, Larkin and Plath came up on Examcraft!
    Same as DEB! Thanks!

Another quest of mine is to catch all 150 pokemon :P

I really want to play pokemon now :). I miss that game lol.

Finished my short story. Anyone wanna do me a favor and read it and tell me if it's good enough or how to improve it? It'd be great help. Only if you have the time though. Thanks. I think it's okay but it's hard to judge yourself.

PM me it for a constructively critical approach. Today my advice is free of charge!

• Advertisement

Another quest of mine is to catch all 150 pokemon :P bet you didn't see that one coming :P
    I am but mad north northwest. And Reznoz, you are a fishmonger :P

A fishmonger? Or just a mong?

:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement