Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Eathrin wrote: »
    Should I be preparing a short story/composition now to write on the day:confused:

I just have a couple of plot lines prepared. I'm not learning anything off, just hoping one of them will fit into one of the titles. If not, I'm going from scratch. 'd say it just depends on the student.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Eathrin wrote: »
    Sure, have you them scanned?
    Should I be preparing a short story/composition now to write on the day:confused:

My teacher told me I had to write one and anyone who wants to should have one prepared and adapt it to the title. I guess it is a good idea so you'll know what you're writing. As long is the title fits it or even have a few plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Anyone willing to read a short story for me? :/ :P

I'll read it! Taking a break off study, even breaks are LC related now!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

I have two short stories written but I don't know if I should change from the first one and stick to the second one I have. They can both be easily adapted to fit the titles. Anyone want to read it and tell me which is the better one of the two?

Sure, I will :)

I'm not preparing any short stories, just going in on the day as I find it best to think of one on the spot rather than remembering one and trying to adapt it, so I guess it depends on the person wether to have one prepared or not.

I have two short stories written but I don't know if I should change from the first one and stick to the second one I have. They can both be easily adapted to fit the titles. Anyone want to read it and tell me which is the better one of the two?

I'll read :)

• Advertisement

Hayezer wrote: »
    I'll read it! Taking a break off study, even breaks are LC related now!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

I just don't understand how I'm not making myself study. It puzzles me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

For short story I just have a character prepared who I can put in any number of depressing situations. When I write a short story I usually don't even know what's going to happen until I write the ending :L I think I will try to have some general idea of a storyline prepared though, as the questions are usually quite broad and easy to work with.

finality wrote: »
    For short story I just have a character prepared who I can put in any number of depressing situations. When I write a short story I usually don't even know what's going to happen until I write the ending :L I think I will try to have some general idea of a storyline prepared though, as the questions are usually quite broad and easy to work with.

Genuinely made me LOL. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I find them anything but broad in recent years. :( The mystery being solved was grand, did a great one for that but the fairytale one...eugh. I'd love something "inspired by the image". :L

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

All of my stories end tragically.

Martin_94 wrote: »

Is there any other type of story? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Our teacher always told us to have a tragic ending, no matter what. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I always give them the happy ending, I'm too nice. I feel bad making it sad lol . . I usually have a think about whether to make it happy or sad. My last one I was wondering whether to make the person that was saved die or survive. I let them survive in the end but I could easily change it to have them die.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I always give them the happy ending, I'm too nice. I feel bad making it sad lol . . I usually have a think about whether to make it happy or sad. My last one I was wondering whether to make the person that was saved die or survive. I let them survive in the end but I could easily change it to have them die.

If you want to PM me your essay I'll read it and give you an opinion on it.

I've never been bothered to learn anything off for paper 1. I generally come up with good plots and characters under pressure. :)

I've only gotten one reply from the people I sent my essay to... I'm getting worried. :cool: :P

Is there any other type of story? :p

When I was in around 3rd class, we were given homework where we had to write a short letter to a petshop explaining why we couldn't supply them with rabbits. Everyone else in the class wrote elaborate reasons.... rabbits were too tired, rabbits escaped, rabbit farm closed down etc....I wrote two lines. "We cannot supply you with rabbits. Killed in massive fire."

The teacher kept a close eye on me from that day on.

When I was in around 3rd class, we were given homework where we had to write a short letter to a petshop explaining why we couldn't supply them with rabbits. Everyone else in the class wrote elaborate reasons.... rabbits were too tired, rabbits escaped, rabbit farm closed down etc....I wrote two lines. "We cannot supply you with rabbits. Killed in massive fire."

She kept a close eye on me from that day on.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, that's brilliant! A1 standard, I think. :D

I bet your teacher had a long talk to your parents at the parent/teacher meeting that year. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

I wrote a story in primary school about a man who fell out the door of the helicopter and got chopped up by the propeller and his skin was made into a gravestone... My teacher nearly cried according to my mother at the parent-teacher meeting:D

I wrote one about someone being stuck in a mental hospital in 5th class. My teacher LOVED it. I won some weird competition thing with it. xD

Although it was for Halloween so I had an excuse for the creepiness. :p

• Advertisement

Little help, do you know for the literary genre would discussing genre, setting, relationships, humour and resolution of each of the 3 texts be okay. It's just the key notes book seems to focus a lot on imagery symbolism, motifs, narrative order etc..

After reading peoples stories maybe I should try and come up with one now :L. In general whenever I do one on the day...cancer/car crash/homelessness/the last movie I saw. Need me some storylines!

I wrote one about someone being stuck in a mental hospital in 5th class. My teacher LOVED it. I won some weird competition thing with it. xD

Although it was for Halloween so I had an excuse for the creepiness. :p

I wish the leaving cert had more emphasis on creativity and story writing, would keep a lot more people interested.

Hayezer wrote: »
    After reading peoples stories maybe I should try and come up with one now :L. In general whenever I do one on the day...cancer/car crash/homelessness/the last movie I saw. Need me some storylines!

I have a great movie in mind which I'm thinking about copying on the day. I'll change certain parts, shorten the main story but the main twist at the end is going to be from that movie.

I have a great movie in mind which I'm thinking about copying on the day. I'll change certain parts, shorten the main story but the main twist at the end is going to be from that movie.

Be careful if it's well known! :P

INCEPTION :D Sorted :L!

Be careful if it's well known! :P

I don't think it's too well known. It's about a wizard named Harry. I doubt they'll have seen it.

I don't think it's too well known. It's about a wizard named Harry. I doubt they'll have seen it.

Sure, just change the name to Barry. Be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

My friend always writes out an episode of whatever TV series she is watching at the time of the exams.

For the mocks she wrote about An American Horror Story and she got an A I think. :P

• Advertisement

Meth making chemistry teacher anyone?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement