Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Stacey.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Me thinks I'll be repeating next year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

For Kinsella, if I talked about Tear, Mirror in Feb, Thinking of Mr. D and Chrysalides would that be enough? Or should I have a fifth, just in case?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Christ, I'm so tired, I've done very little study over the last few days due to a family members death and I just can't wake myself up to do any today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

How do you make a picture show up on boards? I'm trying to get one up to explain something for geography but the attachment has to be clicked for anyone to see it? Help..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

How do you make a picture show up on boards? I'm trying to get one up to explain something for geography but the attachment has to be clicked for anyone to see it? Help..

Upload it to an image host site such as http://imgur.com/ and then put the direct link in this code [*IMG]link here[/*IMG]

Just remove the *'s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

No need to upload it to imgur if you just right click it and get properties, assuming its already on the Internet.

I always make my stories tragic - in my last one the mystery was the identity of a girl who cheated on her boyfriend by kissing another girl, crashed and her body was so badly mangled that it became a mystery. Got 100/100. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I always make my stories tragic - in my last one the mystery was the identity of a girl who cheated on her boyfriend by kissing another girl, crashed and her body was so badly mangled that it became a mystery. Got 100/100. :P

Jaysus, fair play!! :eek: You'll have to PM me some of these A1 stories after the Leaving. :P Any ones you've typed up that is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Thanks :P I got 98/100 in another because my teacher thought I misused a word, turns out he didnt know its true definition but he wouldnt upgrade me :pac: Got 96/100 after that but I dont even know where I lost the 4 marks ;_;

Will do! :P I actually posted the 98/100 one in the 'read my essay' thread before it was graded, if you're that curious ;) It wasnt dramatic or sad though, zzzzz :L

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Finally, Hamlet is so clear to me now:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Eathrin wrote: »
    Finally, Hamlet is so clear to me now:pac:

How do you make the video appear when you link it! Whenever I do it its just a clickable link! Tell me your secrets!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Hayezer wrote: »
    After reading peoples stories maybe I should try and come up with one now :L. In general whenever I do one on the day...cancer/car crash/homelessness/the last movie I saw. Need me some storylines!
    The first two are basically my two templates, although the car crash one has a nice little twist in it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

For Kinsella, if I talked about Tear, Mirror in Feb, Thinking of Mr. D and Chrysalides would that be enough? Or should I have a fifth, just in case?

That's enough! you'll be grand with four, I usually only talk about three!

Hayezer wrote: »
    How do you make the video appear when you link it! Whenever I do it its just a clickable link! Tell me your secrets!

Put the bit of the address after v= into these Youtube tags.

That's enough! you'll be grand with four, I usually only talk about three!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

I've only gotten one reply from the people I sent my essay to... I'm getting worried. :cool: :P
    I'll read it if you want! :D At least I can say I'm doin a bit of Paper 1 study :rolleyes:

I'll read it if you want! :D At least I can say I'm doin a bit of Paper 1 study :rolleyes:

Sent! :D Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

Maybe this is paranoia, maybe not.
    Y'now the way they have two different papers? What if they leave it till like... tomorrow or tuesday to print them off? :P

I mean that way they can go on websites such as this and then print off the one that seems more likely to f**k us over :pac:

Its a conspiracy! Would explain Boland-gate!

(this is the extent of my minds creativity, which is why i avoid short stories in the paper one!)

All this talk of short stories is making me want to do a short story. :o

If only I had learned last year that the key to short stories is little or no dialogue! The only one I did got my highest ever mark (a B1), but my teacher said I was brilliant at short stories and should do one, just my dialogue wasn't great. :pac: Bit late now! :P Plus I can't write a short story in less than a week, let alone in around an hour. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Little help, do you know for the literary genre would discussing genre, setting, relationships, humour and resolution of each of the 3 texts be okay. It's just the key notes book seems to focus a lot on imagery symbolism, motifs, narrative order etc..

I think so, if the emphasis is on how they're use to progress the plot/tell the story. I use dialogue, narration, symbolism, camera angles and stage directions and in the pre I got 68/70. I don't know what I'd say about setting or relationships as a topic in themselves, but that's probably because I haven't really thought about it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Am I alone in not even thinking about doing a short story?
    Personal essay ftw! :P

Togepi wrote: »
    All this talk of short stories is making me want to do a short story.
    *Checks time for English paper 1*...2hrs50m
    I can't write a short story in less than a week, let alone in around an hour. :eek:
    You may have a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I always do the articles or speeches, don't think I've written a story since JC

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Well for me those poems work fine. I've an essay learnt off for Kinsella which can fit into practically every question on his poetry, and I use them exact poems! They've a mixture of everything in them.

Pity Kinsella's so unlikely to come up this year :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

finality wrote: »
    I think so, if the emphasis is on how they're use to progress the plot/tell the story. I use dialogue, narration, symbolism, camera angles and stage directions and in the pre I got 68/70. I don't know what I'd say about setting or relationships as a topic in themselves, but that's probably because I haven't really thought about it :P

Ok. Thanks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Key to eucceeding in short stories is to have a witty plot prepared before the exam. Once you have the plot, writing becomes a piece of cake.

Also, considerable emphasis must be placed on originality. Cliche stories or ones which aren't fresh may not succeed no matter how perfected they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Am I alone in not even thinking about doing a short story?
    Personal essay ftw! :P

Yep, I can't write short stories at all! Bar one time that I did one for where I read the title and had an idea straight away, but that usually never happens so I stick to the personal essay/speech/article.

Wesc. wrote: »
    Well for me those poems work fine. I've an essay learnt off for Kinsella which can fit into practically every question on his poetry, and I use them exact poems! They've a mixture of everything in them.

Pity Kinsella's so unlikely to come up this year :(

I know, he's my favourite after Plath. It's so annoying! :P

Actually my last post was wrong, I wrote two short stories - the second one was in last year's mock and it got 36%. And a B1 wasn't my best essay, I got 88% in the Leaving Cert one (definitely picked a good time to peak!). :P

Personal essays/speeches FTW lads! <3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

reznov wrote: »
    Key to eucceeding in short stories is to have a witty plot prepared before the exam. Once you have the plot, writing becomes a piece of cake.

Spelling succeeding correctly also helps I hear. :D:D

Couldn't resist, I am sorry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement