Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Togepi wrote: »
    Actually my last post was wrong, I wrote two short stories - the second one was in last year's mock and it got 36%. And a B1 wasn't my best essay, I got 88% in the Leaving Cert one (definitely picked a good time to peak!). :P

Personal essays/speeches FTW lads! <3

How do you write a personal essay? :o My teacher never taught me the composition section. :( Like, what makes it different from the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Spelling succeeding correctly also helps I hear. :D:D

Couldn't resist, I am sorry.

You wouldn't be marked down severely for a typo. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Anyone have any general story plots I could use? Reznov do you have any other general tips for short story writing?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Wesc. wrote: »
    How do you write a personal essay? :o My teacher never taught me the composition section. :( Like, what makes it different from the story?

The story is an actual short story - plot, characters, setting etc etc.
    The personal essay is just you talking. It still needs to have focus and proper points and everything but you can just talk about your own experiences and opinions or walk them through your thoughts on something. :)
    Edit: I knew I had the official description somewhere! The personal essay is "a piece of personal writing with no specific target audience".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

If I had to do a short story I'd love to end it with "and then I woke up, and realised it was allll a dream." just to annoy the examiner. :P

In reality however I will be doing a speech or a personal essay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Think I might write one up tonight myself, or at least come up with one or two good story lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

The personal essay is structured. My teacher told us to outline ours like so:
    Anecdote: Introduce an anecdote, relevant to the question and which is one that you can develop later on.
    You then provide three personal experiences related to the theme. After each experience refer back to your anecdote and develop it further. Conclude at the end using your anecdote, giving personal opinions etc. :)
    That's the outline that I've always used whenever I've written one and I've never gotten under 80%. I don't like personal essay though, the structure seems too much like hard work to me and there's not half as much scope as there is with a short story. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

What skyscraperblue said, it's just you giving your opinion on stuff really. You keep using 'I' and 'in my opinion' and stuff like that. :) I find them really easy because you can just keep waffling on for ages. :D

For clarification:
    A personal story can be fictional, correct?

reznov wrote: »
    For clarification:
    Yup, sure can.

• Advertisement

For clarification:

Yes. Sure they're not going to research whether everything said in it is true or not. :P

Yes. Sure they're not going to research whether everything said in it is true or not. :P

'm sure the SEC is keeping tabs on Boards members.
    But what I mean is, can it be science fiction? Or an account of some clearly fictional tale as long as it's in first person?

For clarification:

Yeah, but within reason. You might find this useful.

http://leavingcertenglish.net/2012/01/personal-essay-practice/

But what I mean is, can it be science fiction? Or an account of some clearly fictional tale as long as it's in first person?
    Nah, that's leaning more towards the short story side of things. In the personal essay your supposed to voice your thoughts, opinions and whatever else all of which are affected by your own 'personal' experience.

Oh I dunno. It's usually like 'discuss how young people are becoming more and more reliant on technology' or 'what does happiness mean to you?' (very simplified examples!). It's not really a story at all, just an opinion. Really, it's a lot like a diary, you have to be very personal.

Has to be realistic, they know your in leaving cert, you cannot pretend your not as far as I know.

I was contemplating acting out the role of a vile rodent who cut electric wiring for a hobby, and who eventually gained a level notoriety which led him to imprisonment. Then I as the rodent, voice my personal views on life from a cage in west of San Marino, overlooking a calm, navy ocean.

One can only daydream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

Good luck on Wednesday lads.

Don't go blank and think of all the time you spent on here :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I've been doing regional geography all day and half doing English paper 1.
    I'm learning all of regional by the end of tonight. I just keep reading it over and over again. Regional is so boring. I prefer physical it's more interesting.

I was contemplating acting out the role of a vile rodent who cut electric wiring for a hobby, and who eventually gained a level notoriety which led him to imprisonment. Then I as the rodent, voice my personal views on life from a cage in west of San Marino, overlooking a calm, navy ocean.

One can only daydream.
    Short story?:rolleyes: :p And may I ask what inspired this amazing tale?

• Advertisement

paddyzk wrote: »
    Good luck on Wednesday lads.

Don't go blank and think of all the time you spent on here :pac:

:(

Quiet, you. :cool:

Short story?:rolleyes: :p And may I ask what inspired this amazing tale?

Oh no, it was my idea for a personal essay. But you guys shattered that adventured. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

:(

Quiet, you. :cool:

Togepi! You did the Leaving last year didn't you? Tell us, is it as bad as we think in terms of nerves/stress? I'm slightly freaked atm and need a lot of high Grades (can't really afford to go less than a B2 in anything) so i'm quite anxious now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I have about 1300 posts in the LC OT iirc.
    That's something like 5 posts a day for my entire Leaving Cert...just in these two threads.
    Help me

What's your thoughts on just having Plath prepared for Poetry?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Grand, unless she doesn't come up. :pac:

Risky business but I like your style :D

Togepi! You did the Leaving last year didn't you? Tell us, is it as bad as we think in terms of nerves/stress? I'm slightly freaked atm and need a lot of high Grades (can't really afford to go less than a B2 in anything) so i'm quite anxious now!

It's grand, it flies by too! It's actually fun. The sheer relief of getting English out of the way straight away! You get to throw all those books to one side, then after each day of exams you get to add more books to the pile of crap you don't need anymore. Best. Feeling. Ever. :D

And you'll be absolutely fine, you've worked your arse off and you deserve and will get the points you want! :)
    Eathrin wrote: »
    I have about 1300 posts in the LC OT iirc.
    That's something like 5 posts a day for my entire Leaving Cert...just in these two threads.
    Help me

I wouldn't be surprised if I was the top poster in this thread. :( Top five anyway, surely! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ismiseaoife

Anyone for UCD next year? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Joining Boards was the best and worst decision of my life. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement