Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

I wonder if Boland will make an appearance in the poetry.

But I definitely recommend patchy's approach to short stories. I'm not quick minded plot wise and like the reassurance of a prepared story. Learning off a whole essay will probably lose you marks, but sophisticated phrases won't in a pressing situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Yusss, reznov seal of approval :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Yusss, reznov seal of approval :cool:

I promote good ideas. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I hope to god Boreland doesn't come up

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

Hayezer wrote: »
    Me on Thursday if Plath comes up
    This is brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Okay need advice, I know Plath's poetry really well, as she the only poet I like. I know Rich kind of, should I learn Rich off proper tomorrow and a sample answer for Boreland just incase Plath doesn't come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Martin_94 wrote: »
    I hope to god Boreland doesn't come up

I read one of her poems out of curiosity today. Snooze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Oh my god lads 'Child Of Our Time' is epic - totes emosh like! (I actually do find it upsetting...,) :cool:

Apart from that and 'This Moment' though I can't say I'm a huge fan. :P

Togepi wrote: »
    Oh my god lads 'Child Of Our Time' is epic - totes emosh like! (I actually do find it upsetting...,) :cool:

Apart from that and 'This Moment' though I can't say I'm a huge fan. :P

I LOVE Child of Our Time... Which is odd because I honestly cannot stand the rest of her poetry. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Boland's such a classic Irish mammy, you have to love her! </3

• Advertisement

I LOVE Child of Our Time... Which is odd because I honestly cannot stand the rest of her poetry. :rolleyes:

It's brilliant. :)

And seeing as this is the off-topic - do you think you'll regret your username choice if you make it through the Leaving Cert? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Prefer Heaney. Loved the bestiality in "The Skunk" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Hate a lot of Boland's stuff (White Hawthorn -.-) but I love 'This Moment' for some reason. But she's just so easy to write about! I don't like the majority of her poems but I know I'd still answer on her if she came up.

It's brilliant. :)

And seeing as this is the off-topic - do you think you'll regret your username choice if you make it through the Leaving Cert? :P

LMFAO, I did not think it through at the time. :rolleyes: Maybe I'll repeat and it'll be valid for another year! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Heaney was mad for the ride

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Aagh just got an A1 (96%) on the 2008 chemistry paper. It was SUCH a nice paper though. God I'll be sad if I don't get an A in chemistry now :(

C2 in pre to A1 in LC. If I can do this anything is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Definition of irony: My Rescue Remedy won't open and it's making me stressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I am 100% more productive in the middle of the night. Just covered most of the English course and came up with the perfect short story plot. Only downside is my examiner may not survive reading it, it's THAT depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Today I'm going to finish paper 2. Just have to do out maybe another 2 Hamlet essays, study Sylvia Plath and figure out what theme and issue I'm going to pick for the comparative :S And then maybe write a story or 2 :)

Oh, and if a 70 marks question asks how themes are expressed in key moments of texts, can I refer to various key moments within each text or do I have to keep to 1 key moment from each text? :confused: Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Does ANYONE have a Frost or Hamlet soliloquys essay they'd be willing to trade? :( Really badly need them!
    Wesc. wrote: »
    Today I'm going to finish paper 2. Just have to do out maybe another 2 Hamlet essays, study Sylvia Plath and figure out what theme and issue I'm going to pick for the comparative :S And then maybe write a story or 2 :)

Oh, and if a 70 marks question asks how themes are expressed in key moments of texts, can I refer to various key moments within each text or do I have to keep to 1 key moment from each text? :confused: Thanks.

Unless it specifically tells you to use only one from each text (which it won't), you can use several. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

If anyone has any notes on the comparative, I would really appreciate it :) (HMMTB, DAL, IID)

I'm absolutely fecked if they ask us key moments. :( We did nothing on that this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I think we should all just take a moment to watch this masterpiece. Really improved the quality of my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'm absolutely fecked if they ask us key moments. :( We did nothing on that this year.

What texts are you doing?

What texts are you doing?

'Dancing at Lughnasa', 'How Many Miles to Babylon?' and 'Inside I'm Dancing'. They're the most common texts this year but there's still no key moments in the Key Notes book. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

'Dancing at Lughnasa', 'How Many Miles to Babylon?' and 'Inside I'm Dancing'. They're the most common texts this year but there's still no key moments in the Key Notes book. :cool:

Well here's the ones I have!
    HMMTB: When Alec confronts Major Glendinning when he stands up for Jerry's absence. (You can elaborate on this point a lot)

DAL: Ugh I'm not sure about this but so far I'm thinking of the time Kate rebuked her sisters' intentions of going to a dance at th Festival of Lughnasa.

IID: The bridge scene where Rory prevents Michael from committing suicide.

Btw I think Key Notes is awful for the comparative!

Key relationship scenes
    How Many Miles to Babylon - When Alec is ordered to command the firing line at Jerry but instead shoots him himself.

Dancing at Lughnasa- The dance scene in the Mundy sisters kitchen.

Inside I'm Dancing - When Michael and Rory first meet Rory appears to make fun of Michael but a bond develops between them when he discovers Rory understands what he is saying. Rory tells that he spend "6 years next to a kid that makes you sound like Laurence Olivier" .

The other one is when Michael attempts to throw himself off the bridge but Rory talks him out of it with comedy which creates a lighthearted tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

DAL Key scene: Kate worrying about the family on page 35-36. Maggie reassures her blah blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Learn a whole Biology course between today and tomorrow + this weekend challenge accepted FML :/

• Advertisement

If the question asks for key moments do you only talk about the key moments or write the answer in the usual layout and just make sure to mention key moments and refer to it at the end??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement