Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Does anyone on here who’s repeating (or just knows in general), what was the 3rd mode that didn’t come up on English Paper 2 last year? Was it General Vision or Literary Genre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Wesc. wrote: »
    Btw I think Key Notes is awful for the comparative!

I pretty much bought it specifically for the comparative...

The notes on it are brilliant, all you have to do is take out the headings and you've immediately got plenty of comparisons!

@PictureFrame I checked last year's Key Notes there - it was general vision and viewpoint. :eek: I was full sure it was literary genre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Key Notes saved my life for the comparative, it makes it so straightforward <3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Togepi wrote: »

The notes on it are brilliant, all you have to do is take out the headings and you've immediately got plenty of comparisons!

@PictureFrame I checked last year's Key Notes there - it was general vision and viewpoint. :eek: I was full sure it was literary genre!
    omg. So General vision will more than likely come up this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

theme and cultural context cam up last year. Lit Genre wasnt on the course. V+V was on the course but didnt come up

• Advertisement

omg. So General vision will more than likely come up this year?

I hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Togepi wrote: »

Oh the comparison points are handy all right, I just find the sample answers horrendous :P I mean, if you look at them all they do is summarise, with a comparison in very rarely. But yeah the points they give are good, I just like to make up my own too because half the country use that book :P

Wesc. wrote: »
    Oh the comparison points are handy all right, I just find the sample answers horrendous :P I mean, if you look at them all they do is summarise, with a comparison in very rarely. But yeah the points they give are good, I just like to make up my own too because half the country use that book :P

Ah ok, I never use the sample answers! :P

And yeah, I sometimes throw in an extra comparison or two if I can think of them. I just used those notes to make my own better notes. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

In HMMB Whatever you do don't try to write about a gay subplot!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Re: key moments, they're REALLY important in a comparative! You can actually say pretty much anything is a key moment. Whenever I refer to ANY moment, I say it's a key moment.

e.g. "in a key moment, Michael describes Rory's ability to understand him as a "gift"."

"in the key moment where Michael begins to gain some independence and a sense of freedom by misusing the collection money"

"in the key moment when Michael is rejected by Siobhan"

"the key moment that is the return of Father Jack"

"in the key moment when Chris excitedly speaks to Michael about Gerry Evans"

Basically, odds are, if a moment is important enough to be mentioned in an essay it's probably a key moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

About Biology, can I still get the A1 without any plants? I know the plant experiments and thats it really, completely zoned out for the month we did all the plant stuff :L

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Theme/Issue will be on :D I can feel it :p

Hayezer wrote: »
    About Biology, can I still get the A1 without any plants? I know the plant experiments and thats it really, completely zoned out for the month we did all the plant stuff :L

You can probably avoid plants on the paper but I'd imagine it'd seriously limit your choices. I like plants, the questions are usually really nice.

I would advise against it "/

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

Regarding plants, I think the paper this year is going to be a bit awkward and make plants 2/3 parts of the choice questions, meaning you will have to answer it. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

My dad says he's taking me out for dessert on Tuesday night so I won't just be sitting home stressing :D

Theme/Issue will be on :D I can feel it :p

I think so too! I have a feeling on Thursday I'll see theme/issue and literary genre smiling up at me and I'll be all

134431_340.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

Learning 20 essays off in 2 days, is it possible? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

FinnD wrote: »

No, not really. And if you do your essays won't flow naturally with the question and you probably won't do well. Know your texts well and you can answer any question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Somebody please reassure me, Plath will come up. Right?

• Advertisement

Hoping for GVV comparative, it's the only one I've done an essay on :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I'd at least learn plant reproduction if I were you. Quite straightforward really and comes up nearly all the time.

I'm wondering should I bother with Literary Genre? I know Theme and GVV quite well, but we only did LG in the last couple of weeks and it seems like such a waffle. But then I'm thinking that if it's GVV/Theme and LG on the paper I'll limited. And I'll be even more limited because I've always done the 70 mark questions, I've never ever done a 30 + 40 and don't really want to risk it on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Can you write your comparative last?
    I spend ages writing mine I don't know how long it'll take me it's usually very long. I was going to do Hamlet and the poetry section then do the comparative after. Or do I need to answer it in order?

I spend ages writing mine I don't know how long it'll take me it's usually very long. I was going to do Hamlet and the poetry section then do the comparative after. Or do I need to answer it in order?

Write it in any order you want.
    100% sure of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Eathrin wrote: »
    Hoping for GVV comparative, it's the only one I've done an essay on :eek:

I'm the same! Thing about theme and issue is, the questions can vary a good bit! But in GVV, it's practically the same every year, I have a really good essay for it learnt off so hopefully it'll come up :)
    And literary genre I haven't even bothered to look at :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I think you can do it in any order, I'm doing the Plath (hopefully) question first, then the Hamlet question then the Comparative.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

Eathrin wrote: »
    FinnD wrote: »

No, not really. And if you do your essays won't flow naturally with the question and you probably won't do well. Know your texts well and you can answer any question.
    Thats mostly geograpby, only learning 5 essays for English

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I still have a few poetry essays to write Heaney and Boland and Kavanagh I haven't even studied his poems but my teacher gave me sample answers. I half studied Larkin like in the revision course they went through him . I'm just relying on sample answers at this stage and just changing it to make it more personal. I have Plath and Rich written my Heaney essay wasn't the best. Who is more likely to come up Larkin or Kavanagh?

Definitely doing Hamlet last. Hate it. For my comparative I love The Great Gatsby and Casablanca but Dancing at Lughnasa is awful in my opinion. Not too fussy about doing Theme/Issue or GV&V but I didn't cover the other mode :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Right, I've decided. Forget having a definite choice, I hate Heaney and can't write about him - five poets it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement