Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

Namlub wrote: »
    Recorded myself speaking french today, problem is I hate the sound of my voice being played back to me so much that I can't listen to it...

I did that too! And I'm the same :P I had a serious lisp, i'm hoping that's just the Spanish accent :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Oh my god last night felt slightly awkward. I hadn't seen this guy that I used to speak to a bit at the club I usually go and the last time I saw him it was 2months ago I hadn't seen him since as hes not been the other times I'd gone. He acted cold the last time I saw him. Then in the queue to go in he walked right past me(I weren't really paying too much attention) to like a few others about 3/4 places ahead , usually he'd come over and say hello even inside he didn't either. I wasn't gonna go over and speak to him willingly after his cold act . He didn't come over to me either so it felt like there was a awkward tension. I was pretty much avoiding him and hoping I wouldn't see or speak to him. His friend spoke to me near the end, he was nice as usual . It was a okay night though won't be there until pretty much the end of June now :).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Recorded myself speaking french today, problem is I hate the sound of my voice being played back to me so much that I can't listen to it...

I sound really English when I'm trying to do the French accent :S. I just can't do the accent it's really hard. I hate practising it out loud I usually say it in my head .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Oh christ, I just tried recording myself speaking German, ughhhhh I sound awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I'm starting to speak Irish in a French accent :|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

My boyfriend wants to go on a break :( I'm so confused I don't understand, we met on Wednesday and he was so nice and loved up I don't get how things can change so quickly. Ahh my head :(

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

finality wrote: »
    Oh christ, I just tried recording myself speaking German, ughhhhh I sound awkward.

I would record myself speaking German, the problem is I don't know any.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Siobhnk wrote: »
    My boyfriend wants to go on a break :( I'm so confused I don't understand, we met on Wednesday and he was so nice and loved up I don't get how things can change so quickly. Ahh my head :(
    Aw pet I hope you're okay! Remember everything happens for a reason and it could turn out to be better than ever when ye get back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Been there! I just record myself to put myself under pressure and see how long I can talk for. I didn't even consider listening to it back until a friend said that's what she was doing! I listened to like 30 seconds or less before quitting. :o It's just. So. Cringey!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Seeing as this thread is sometimes used as a confessions box I might as well do the same thing :pac:

I used to live in a different part of Ireland, I moved away when I was like 6 years old though. It's near Galway. I went down last summer for the run and had a great time :D Something weird happened yesterday though. When I was in like senior infants (in Galway) this girl landed at our school, she'd just arrived from America. I was the biggest fággot ever for her :pac: Anyone who tried to annoy her or anything, I'd be like 'you leave her alone, you meanie!' (that probably annoyed her more than anything else :P). Anyways the weird thing is I was going through my mate's friends on FB as ya do, looking for interesting people and I was browsing through this random chick's page. She was really good looking and seemed while cool, I didn't add her or anything, just clicked out of it like, but last night I randomly realised that that random chick is the girl who I used to be pure madly in love with as a 6 year old :pac:

And that's the end of my story :D

• Advertisement

why is it so sunny out.

......i hate the leaving cert. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

It's not sunny at all where I live :(

Anyway, Guys, one more question about the Orals. I'm kinda panicking about the French Oral on Monday now, do you think this would be enough to talk about (I have a good bit of vocab on all of this)

• Myself
    • My family
    • Where I live
    • School
    • Music
    • Sport
    • Money/Part-time jobs
    • A typical day
    • Why I prefer the Country than the Town
    • Television
    • France (differences between France & Ireland)
    • Future Career (what I want to do in College, after I get a degree, why I want to do it)
    • What would you do if (Conditional) you won the lotto, were the minister of education and environment.
    • The weekend (in present tense, and a couple of sentences what I did last weekend and what I’m doing next weekend)
    • Transition Year
    • Holidays
    • Rules/Discipline in School
    • My favourite TV Programme
    • Alcohol
    • Pollution
    • Drugs
    • Emigration
    • Fashion
    • Unemployment
    • Tourism
    • Easter Holidays
    • Last film I saw
    • Last book I read
    • Opinion on school Uniform
    • Will I watch the Olympics? Opinions on Olympics
    • Document- Exam pressure, how to change system etc.
    What do you think? I have my accent basically sorted and all the rest. Need a B2 in French so I’m looking for an A2/B1 in the Oral. Thanks for any opinions! 

My god PictureFrame! :eek: Yes you're sorted, you've way more stuff than you even need there. The oral only lasts fifteen minutes, it flies by, there's no way they'll get to ask you half of the stuff you've mentioned there! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Togepi wrote: »
    My god PictureFrame! :eek: Yes you're sorted, you've way more stuff than you even need there. The oral only lasts fifteen minutes, it flies by, there's no way they'll get to ask you half of the stuff you've mentioned there! :P

I think I only had time to talk at length about like 3 topics in my mock oral, if you know like 5 topics really well you'll be sorted. :) After a while you'll actually start to enjoy it (hopefully) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Just got in from work at half 6 this morning, only up now and havta be back in at 5 today until six again probably. This French Oral is going to be a disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Ah now PictureFrame I think ya have enough there alright? I'll be going in with about a little under half of that :P But just so ya know in my oral I was asked about robo-teachers. Didn't know what they were but yeah apparently they're teachers who use technology in school so I'd prepare something on technology in school :) And I was also asked how the Irish language would survive, and does religion play an important role in my life!

Btw what are you saying for difference between France and Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Guys, one more question about the French Oral. I'm trying to throw a subjuctive and conditional into my document somewhere, can anyone tell me if the following sentences make sense:
    • Il est necessaire qu'il obtient
    • Il voudrait étudier la loi ou médecin a la fac
    • Il est clair que

Thank you!
    That should be qu'il obtienne I think, and you say le droit rather than la loi when you're talking about law as a college course/profession

I'm currently writing out my own versions of the poems for the Irish oral, its gas looking because I did it phonetically - 'bin on oom san arrack here' :pac:

Togepi wrote: »

Thank you :P such a relief to hear that! Our Teacher has us freaking out about this Oral completely, she sent us home with notes about Whitney Houston, Jedward, AIDS, Abortion stuff like that :mad:
    Wesc. wrote: »

Btw what are you saying for difference between France and Ireland?

Em, i've prepared this: they're kinda stupid but anyway :pac:
    • French people spend more time eating at the dinner table
    • French people have a wider variety of food, however snails legs are not eaten everyday it's a stereotype
    • National Language is spoken all over the world, whereas Irish is barely spoken at all.
    • Weather differences
    • Lot of activites for youth over Holidays in France, not in Ireland
    • School is longer in France but they have a half-day on a Wednesday

Kinda stupid list, but i'm gonna stick with it! :cool:

I didnt even think of the possibility of differences between the two when I thought of mentioning having been to Paris :eek:

Also, guys, would you pronounce 'ni ghlaofar' as 'nee glow-fir'? the guy in the videos on youtube reads it as 'glee-fir' which just isnt right in my mind :S fair enough it might be dialect, but i'd prefer to not mix two dialects - getting spailpin fanach would be bad enough as it is :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Instead of taking a break on facebook, I came here! :P

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I didnt even think of the possibility of differences between the two when I thought of mentioning having been to Paris :eek:

Also, guys, would you pronounce 'ni ghlaofar' as 'nee glow-fir'? the guy in the videos on youtube reads it as 'glee-fir' which just isnt right in my mind :S fair enough it might be dialect, but i'd prefer to not mix two dialects - getting spailpin fanach would be bad enough as it is :rolleyes:
    I would say 'nee glee-fir'. What dialect are you used to speaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Anybody know any good Spanish songs or films?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Personally I say Ni glay-for, but it doesn't really matter about what dialect you pronounce it in I wouldn't think, as long as you sound out the seimhiu in there :L

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Weird, I'd say ní glayfir

I would say 'nee glee-fir'. What dialect are you used to speaking?
    Just general Dublin dialect :o My teacher is from Northern Ireland so its a bit mixed anyway, maybe ghlaofar is just wrong! Either way I think I'll stick with gleefir just in case, thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Glee-fir and Glay-fir are both right. Wouldn't be so sure about Glow-fir though!

The differences between Ireland and whatever other country you mention is a very common question actually, I'd prepare two or three lines on it to be safe. ;)

And I'd definitely pronounce it 'nee glee-fur', but I can easily imagine Dublin people pronouncing it as 'nee glow fur'. Youz pronounce your Irish awful strangely in fairness. :P

Edit: Actually 'nee glay-fur' sounds more Dubliny. Just pronounce it similar to how you pronounce 'naoi' as in nine! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Why do I spend my time looking at things like this?

• Advertisement

Silence culchies :P

Cian, a fellow Dubliner, has forsaken me </3
    Thinking about it, i'd say 'chuir si glaoch orm' and say it like glayk, so I wonder where glow came from o_O Whoops :pac: thanks guys!

oh, and 'binn an fhuaim' - bin, or bean? :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement