Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Silence culchies :P

Cian, a fellow Dubliner, has forsaken me </3
    Thinking about it, i'd say 'chuir si glaoch orm' and say it like glayk, so I wonder where glow came from o_O Whoops :pac: thanks guys!

oh, and 'binn an fhuaim' - bin, or bean? :P

I say bean :D But im from Waterford so.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Does anyone else find it hard trying to practise the French oral or any oral out loud with people in the house?
    I prefer the house to be empty when practising lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Thinking about it, i'd say 'chuir si glaoch orm' and say it like glayk, so I wonder where glow came from o_O Whoops :pac: thanks guys!

Bin for me :pac:
    Does anyone else find it hard trying to practise the French oral or any oral out loud with people in the house?
    I prefer the house to be empty when practising lol.

Nope, I love speaking aloud! A family friend is a fluent French Speaker down my road so i've been practising with her nearly everyday! It's a great help! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Glao = Glee
    Glaoch = Glayck
    Glaofar = Gleefir

Binn = Bin (If it was Bean it'd be spelt Bínn)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Is it ok if you keep switching dialects during the poem? The way I speak Irish is so messed up :o

• Advertisement

Eathrin wrote: »
    Glao = Glee
    Glaoch = Glayck
    Glaofar = Gleefir

Binn = Bin (If it was Bean it'd be spelt Bínn)

No I am pretty sure it can be pronounced like that anyway...My teacher pronounces Binn as "Bean".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I've two orals taped with my teacher but I haven't gotten around to listening to them. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Yeah the guy in the video said bean but I'd say bin...I'll just stick with bin :P

I still find it hard to remember how to say the year of the date of birth in french it's so long I always end up missing one of the numbers out.

Is everyone just writing a paragraph on each topic which could come up?
    rather then looking the way they phrase the question and writing a answer for each one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

I still find it hard to remember how to say the year of the date of birth in french it's so long I always end up missing one of the numbers out.

rather then looking the way they phrase the question and writing a answer for each one?

Yis're all so prepared for this French oral compared to me :pac: :pac: :pac: I'm preparing absolutely nothing except some shíte about my document! Just shows how blasé I am about the whole thing! Qu'il marche bien pour tout :D

• Advertisement

Yis're all so prepared for this French oral compared to me :pac: :pac: :pac: I'm preparing absolutely nothing except some shíte about my document! Just shows how blasé I am about the whole thing! Qu'il marche bien pour tout :D

It's worth practising for , you could go in there and go completely blank and forget everything it really does drag in. My last years oral was awful I didn't prepare properly either . My mind went blank on the day , and I forgot everything. I'm hoping I can improve greatly then last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Just say the first of a month, make it up it's easy! La premier de juin!

Anyone else trying to correct their LCVP Portfolios? Mine looks perfect but I know there has to be something wrong with it!! It's so irritating, they're so finnicky over the tiniest details, almost impossible to get full marks on the portfolio!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

German Oral on Monday, I'll be 3rd or 4th in :D For the mocks I knew 4/5 picture stories... and yes, I picked the one I didn't know :rolleyes: taking no chances this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

It's worth practising for , you could go in there and go completely blank and forget everything it really does drag in. My last years oral was awful I didn't prepare properly either . My mind went blank on the day , and I forgot everything. I'm hoping I can improve greatly then last year.

Wow way to scare me about this oral! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Izymunz

It's not sunny at all where I live :(

Anyway, Guys, one more question about the Orals. I'm kinda panicking about the French Oral on Monday now, do you think this would be enough to talk about (I have a good bit of vocab on all of this)

• Myself
    • My family
    • Where I live
    • School
    • Music
    • Sport
    • Money/Part-time jobs
    • A typical day
    • Why I prefer the Country than the Town
    • Television
    • France (differences between France & Ireland)
    • Future Career (what I want to do in College, after I get a degree, why I want to do it)
    • What would you do if (Conditional) you won the lotto, were the minister of education and environment.
    • The weekend (in present tense, and a couple of sentences what I did last weekend and what I’m doing next weekend)
    • Transition Year
    • Holidays
    • Rules/Discipline in School
    • My favourite TV Programme
    • Alcohol
    • Pollution
    • Drugs
    • Emigration
    • Fashion
    • Unemployment
    • Tourism
    • Easter Holidays
    • Last film I saw
    • Last book I read
    • Opinion on school Uniform
    • Will I watch the Olympics? Opinions on Olympics
    • Document- Exam pressure, how to change system etc.
    What do you think? I have my accent basically sorted and all the rest. Need a B2 in French so I’m looking for an A2/B1 in the Oral. Thanks for any opinions! 

I think you'll get an A1 with that amount of preparation!!
    I had half of that and I still managed it in my mocks!!
    But I would include your 18th birthday in that, what you did for it or what you will do for it!! I also got asked if I am going to move abroad or stay here! I would say those to questions are highly likely to come up.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

YOU CAN'T LIE ABOUT YOUR DATE OF BIRTH IN AN ORAL.

Seriously. I'm sitting as an external candidate, the examiners have everything on us. We can't lie about where we live, our age, our date of birth. Anything else can be lied (for instance, as far as the examiner's concerned, I have one brother and no sisters).

Does anyone wanna do some skype practice orals?

Wesc. wrote: »
    Wow way to scare me about this oral! :eek:

Sorry lol , just don't do what I did last year and be under prepared and you'll be fine :).
    The questions asked were okay like it's just I forgot how to answer them properly or couldn't remember it as I think they phrased some questions differently to what I was expecting. I think also I didn't pay as much attention to french as it's not one of my favourite subjects.

Anyone else trying to correct their LCVP Portfolios? Mine looks perfect but I know there has to be something wrong with it!! It's so irritating, they're so finnicky over the tiniest details, almost impossible to get full marks on the portfolio!

My birthday is the 1st of a month luckily :). It's just the year part thats the problem I'd like to add it in but it's so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Quick question about the Irish oral. You know when you're saying your address? I know what mine is, that part is fine. I'm just wondering, do they just say "Do sheoladh?" and you simply reply "Uimhir a deich Bóthar na Trá", or are you expected to just say it without them asking? Basically I'm asking if you have to use it in a sentence, e.g. "I live in number 10 Bóthar na Trá." If you were saying that, would it be "Táim i my chonaí in uimhir a blah blah blah"? Sorry, just a bit confused and this probably makes no sense :P

On a more coherent note, what are German peeps preparing?

The part of this Irish oral that is scaring me is the sraith pictuiri...I have been trying to make my descriptions of them really fancy because apparently thats what they want...Eeekk!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Are you supposed to say your address in the Irish oral? o_O

How do you say 08:50am in French? I know how to say the other times just not that. Google translate can't translate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Neuf heures moins dix. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Namlub wrote: »
    Are you supposed to say you're address in the Irish oral? o_O

Yeah, it's part of the beannú at the start, worth 5 marks altogether. They ask your name, date of birth, address, exam number, and something else that I'm forgetting about :)

Jesus, good thing I actually know my address! Using your Irish address instead of the English one for no apparent reason has its advantages I guess. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

As said above, do not do that! :eek:

I dont know my address in Irish properly, ugh.

My friend suggested doing something about Kony 2012 as a document...we'll be meeting up with our French friend before our orals if I need help, do you guys think its a good idea? Is it too late to do one? I'm aiming for an A1 and got it in the mock so I'd be able to learn it, my friend said you really should do a document and I know thats true but my teacher said I'd be fine without it. I'm so confused!

I wouldn't use Kony 2012 as a document. The follow-up questions could be horrendous, and it's a fairly controversial issue. You'd probably be better off without a document at this stage, it'd be easier for you to get an A1 without one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

Namlub wrote: »
    Are you supposed to say you're address in the Irish oral? o_O

My mock examiner told me after that I have to say my full address yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Well this is brand new information...and does the whole address have to be in Irish? Like my estate has two names and I couldn't translate either of them :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

My mock examiner told me after that I have to say my full address yeah.

So saying the name of my road isn't enough? :/ Ugh why does my estate have such an English name? It'll sound so weird.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement