Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Aesthetic was in text 3 wasn't it? the one about the train.
    Even though I wrote it as anesthetic more than once I forgot how to spell the word and what the style of language was.
    I'll forget about paper 1 after lol.

I'd say the examiner will have a laugh.
    Anesthetic language, puts the reader to sleep, hardly makes him attractive to readers!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

Eathrin wrote: »
    I have a feeling that I tipexed out a few things which I forgot to correct:o
    i'm pretty sure i did that too. :pac: ah well hopefully the examiner will be kind and ignore them silly mistakes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'd say the examiner will have a laugh.
    Anesthetic language, puts the reader to sleep, hardly makes him attractive to readers!:pac:

Maybe I wrote it correctly I can't remember but I vaguely remember thinking "anesthetic" hopefully my writing the n is small and he won't notice. I mentioned persuasive language too I literally forgot what all the styles were and the content which I didn't mention. I mean anesthetic isn't like a simple spelling mistake it's a completely different word.:rolleyes: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

I'd really appreciate a link or a copy & pasted
    Role of women in Hamlet
    Answer or general guideline.
    Please, I'm desperate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Maybe I wrote it correctly I can't remember but I vaguely remember thinking "anesthetic" hopefully my writing the n is small and he won't notice. I mentioned persuasive language too I literally forgot what all the styles were and the content which I didn't mention. I mean anesthetic isn't like a simple spelling mistake it's a completely different word.:rolleyes: .

anesthetic is US ENGLISH, ew :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Just looked up advice on paper 1 short story and it says "fiction", I feel sick. How many marks would I be likely to lose.

You'll be grand. The only thing that separated my character from me was the fact I don't live in Manhattan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Guys if any of ye did text 1 QA- in (iii) of that ques- the autobiography one- I said I had mixed feelings. I did back it up with points though. Is that allowed? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

I wrote pale instead of pail I'm nearly sure :( for a quote :( how embarrassing
    ugh feel so sick :( in bed feeling sorry for myself :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    Guys if any of ye did text 1 QA- in (iii) of that ques- the autobiography one- I said I had mixed feelings. I did back it up with points though. Is that allowed? :(

I said I had mixed feelings too, I assume it's okay if you can back it up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

So ... could the off-topic thread be any more ON topic? :p :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Martin_94 wrote:

I said I had mixed feelings too, I assume it's okay if you can back it up. :)

Oh did you? Okay, that's a relief. Thank you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

tumblr_m4ur3lbMQX1qjfp9lo2_400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Anybody coming over to mine for naggins?

Anybody coming over to mine for naggins?

This guy might...

206377_203961682959434_163862826969320_659129_2192357_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

If Rich comes up i'll probably do her question and let it slip that I'M A MAN..

'While Rich's female perspective makes her an appealing poet to a female audience, her appeal is not confined to one gender. As a Male, I find her poetry extremely interesting, her images and language vivid and clear and her wide reflection of a range of inter-related themes both intriguing and thought-provoking'.

BOOM, GIVE ME AN A1.. Why? CAUSE I'M A MAN..

jk :P

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Anyone doing Geography?

If yes: Is the answer for Urban Sprawl the same as an answer on Urban Growth? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Guys bit of advice please, which essay would be more important to learn for tomorrow, character of Hamlet or theme of Decepion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I'm afraid to drink anything tomorrow because I really can't afford to take a toilet break during the exam >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Guys bit of advice please, which essay would be more important to learn for tomorrow, character of Hamlet or theme of Decepion?

Is both an option? :/

Am, maybe Hamlet's character because even if you can't do it for the character question you could probably fit it into the theme one somewhere. :/

I really have no idea, but if you study the character of Hamlet well, surely you'd be able to do grand on any question that could come up? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I wrote "board" instead of "bored" at one stage, OH GOD that would've looked so stupid if I hadn't noticed. I now can't even remember why or where I said "bored"... maybe I was rushing so much I was just writing complete random gibberish for half the paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

finality wrote: »

I wrote "board" instead of "bored" at one stage, OH GOD that would've looked so stupid if I hadn't noticed. I now can't even remember why or where I said "bored"... maybe I was rushing so much I was just writing complete random gibberish for half the paper.
    I'm half dying right now and you made me laugh thank you :D
    be grand hopefully they won't even realise our silly mistakes and if so its only 1 or 2 marks :)

I think in the mock I accidentally wrote 'thrown' instead of 'throne'... Cringe! :P

I also have a terrible habit of writing words like 'it' and 'the' twice in a row, just incase the examiner doesn't see it the first time. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

I'd really appreciate a link or a copy & pasted
    Role of women in Hamlet
    Answer or general guideline.
    Please, I'm desperate!
    This is just focusing on Gertude! :) i can type up Ophelia later if you want. :)
    This is just main pointers of an essay i wrote. I used the web and my own teachers notes as a source of information. S:
    It's more like an account of Gertude rather than her role in the play. But it does sorta include her role! :) Hopefully it helps. :O
    • "Frailty thy name is woman" depicts the role of women within the play 'Hamlet'
    • Women are portrayed as weak, fickle and dependent on men
    • There are 2 female characters in this play; Gertude, Hamlet's mother and queen and Ophelia, Hamlet's love interest
    • Both play a passive role in the plays action, however they embody key themes, in particular Hamlet's hatred of women.

• Gertude = catalyst for all that happens in the play
    • The reason that Claudius kills Old Hamlet, i.e. "my crown, mine own ambition and my queen" and the reason Hamlet seeks revenge, which ultimately leads to the death of Polonius, Rosencrants & Guildenstern, Ophelia, Laertes, the King and indeed herself. (Also Hamlet)
    • She seems wholly dependent on men. = lives in the shadow of 2 kings. Her first husband Old Hamlet was murdered and yet "within a month"
    • She marries her brother-in-law Claudius.
    • This "o'erhasty" marriage results in Hamlet's deep sadness - something which she in completely insensitive towards: " why do the clouds still hang on you?" Her lack of grieving for the husband whom she appeared to love shocks Hamlet. He maintains that his father was so loving to her "that he might not beteem the winds of heaven visit her face too roughly".
    • The villain Claudius also loves Gertude who is "so conjunctive" to his life that he cannot give her up.
    • Gertude is unaware that the man she married is the murderer of her first husband and perhaps she only married Claudius for the good of the state. After all, even Claudius mentions that she is "the imperial jointress" to the state.
    • However she does little to prove this statement as she is too weak to challenge the King
    • Her role as queen of Denmark is overshadowed by the King's deceit and treachery
    • Also by marrying Claudius she took away Hamlet's rightful place to the thrown which adds to his anguish
    • Gertude is ignorant to her surroundings and is insensitive and blind to her son's distress: "why seems it so particular with thee?" to which he replies: "seems madam, nay it is. I know not seems"
    • Gertude angers Hamlet furthur when she agrees with Claudius' statement: "'Tis unmanly grief".
    • This shows that she is easily manipulated and influenced by the Claudius
    • Hamlet expresses his distain towards his mother: "to post with such dexterity to incestuous sheets"

• Hamlet feels that their marragie "is not nor it cannot come to good"
    • When the ghost reveals the nature of his death: "that serpent that did sting thy father's life now wears his crown", Hamlet becomes angry and views his mother as a "most pernicious woman!" He is traumitised by the events within his family
    • His mother's shameful role in these events push him towards the edge of despair. He contemplates suicide: "to die, to sleep: to sleep perchance to dream"
    • Had Gertude's demeanor been different, Hamlet might not have sunken so deeply into his melancholy and indecision
    • He suffers the conflict between his filial attachment to her and his disgust at her behaviour
    • When Gertude earnestly asks him not to leave her: "I pray thee... go not to Wittenberg" the conflict of his feelings are heightened
    • If Gertude had actually been wicked, perhaps Hamlet's task of gaining revenge would have been easier
    • But she's more fickle than wicked and more irresponsible than criminal. Her conscience remains in tact as can be seen when Hamlet confronts her in the interview/closet scene: "O hamlet speak no more... thou turnst my eyes into my very soul"
    • Also, her distress at Ophelia's tragic death is genuine: "I hop'd thou should'st have been my Hamlet's wife"
    • Throughout the whole play she never seems as cunning as Claudius
    • As a mother, Gertude has responsibliities towards Hamlet, but through her own weaknesses she puts her pleasures before his welfare.
    • This leads to Hamlet's tragic demise
    • She loves Claudius and is loved by him also. This revolts Hamlet and he feels betrayed
    • Gertude's behaviour is what causes Hamlet's misogyny
    • He believes that like Gertude, all other women are "frail"
    • When Gertude is in her final moments we realise that she is as much a victim as a villain
    • She is finally aware of the corruption that surrounds her and cries out to her beloved son: "O dear Hamlet... the drink, the drink: I am poisoned"
    • She dies a deeply unhappy woman and it is her death which causes Hamlet to finally avenge his father's death by murdering Claudius with the same poison that was presumably used to kill Old Hamlet.

• Gertude is a fascinating character on a studied look
    • She adds intrigue to the play as she is the cause and effect of Hamlet's "lunacy" and death
    • She is the source of his misogyny
    • If she had not married Claudius at all, so many characters would not have died
    • She is definitely a catalyst for all the action in the play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Anyone else getting mixed up on quotes? :P I dunno why I keep forgetting them :/
    On the topic of quotes..How many would quotes would suffice in Hamlet or Poetry question? For Hamlet I will probably have a quote or maybe two in each paragraph :D

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭bluugirl

Well I think my english went ok and home ec was grand apart from that stupid q1a! :mad: Not a bad day apart from having to stop the bus on the way to school to get sick outside my neighbours house and my friend there trying to reassure me I don't luck disgusting in any way while the rest of the bus looks on why do these things always happen to me :o You'd have to just lol :rolleyes: I was up the very front of the exam hall and the examiner kept yawning and he was making me tired and they always tease you with tea and biscuits too don't they? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

One of my neighbours keeps trying to play The Entertainer on the piano and they're getting progressively worse. It's driving me INSANE.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

David1994 wrote: »
    Anyone else getting mixed up on quotes? :P I dunno why I keep forgetting them :/
    On the topic of quotes..How many would quotes would suffice in Hamlet or Poetry question? For Hamlet I will probably have a quote or maybe two in each paragraph :D

I develop my point, find a suitable quote, pick out some technique/aspect that I found interesting/enlightening, say how it can be witnessed again at some other point in the play and then make some beautiful sentence that reflects greatly what I have just said and allows me to linguistically flow into the next paragraph.

Thats my approach, I'd like to think it works! Really all you have to do is keep a good flow in your answer so the examiner finds the cadence(rhythm) of the answer satisfying to his almighty judgement :D

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

ok serious matter here guys, what's the sexual tension between the 5th year and examiners like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

imelle wrote: »
    ok serious matter here guys, what's the sexual tension between the 5th year and examiners like?

Its very awkward.... that look the examiner gives the 5th year when they ask did they put milk in the tea....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement