Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

Nobody ever thanks me on my posts. . :( **** it I'm leaving to study like a real leaving certer, not having the bant on boards! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Randy for the short story 'in which a young character is eager to leave home', my first page and a bit was basically me wanting to leave home and then I did, but the other 3 pages were sorta off topic medical drama? It wasnt the best story itself, but do you think I lose big marks for the actual answering of the question part (purpose I think?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Lol at people who aren't allowed out early! Jesus for maths I'll be done in an hour, reeeally bad at it btw, not outstanding and efficient! :p

I was finished maths so quickly in the mocks, I probably could have done the paper again. Would suck not being allowed to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

frantic190 wrote: »
    I was finished maths so quickly in the mocks, I probably could have done the paper again. Would suck not being allowed to leave.

+1
    I spent a large portion of time in the mocks filing my nails. They better let me leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

My head is wrecked :@ any point craming or just study tomorrow ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Aagh english is up on examinations.ie

weird

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

finality wrote: »

weird

Would they be so kind to put the second paper up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Oh lads, I am so frightened of Paper 2. :( I just don't know if I've put enough work in over the two years, and if Larkin or Plath don't come up I'll have to make such a waffley essay (that said...if either of them do come up it will be a waffley essay).

It's hard to stay positive when under so much stress. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

reznov wrote: »
    Would they be so kind to put the second paper up?

I promise I won't look <_< >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Oh lads, I am so frightened of Paper 2. :( I just don't know if I've put enough work in over the two years, and if Larkin or Plath don't come up I'll have to make such a waffley essay (that said...if either of them do come up it will be a waffley essay).

It's hard to stay positive when under so much stress. :(

if deception,GV&V and Heaney come up I could get an A1..... anything else I'll be waffling my hole off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Martin_94 wrote: »
    **** sickened. The question was "Write a short story inspired by the phrase" and then it just mentioned a "rock band howling for fame" in the phrase or something like that. I did write it in first person though, as a story.
    Well, at least it's relevant and on topic.
    Martin_94 wrote: »
    How many marks will I be likely to lose. :(
    How much, I honestly couldn't guess ... as I say, they've tweaked the approach to marking a fair bit in the interim.
    I work in third level, not second level, so I really haven't been keeping up to date that closely with the minutiae, and I can't and won't hazard a guess, because it would be unlikely to be even vaguely right.

There is absolutely no point worrying about it now, anyway ... concentrate on doing a really good Paper II instead.
    Hayezer wrote: »
    Randy for the short story 'in which a young character is eager to leave home', my first page and a bit was basically me wanting to leave home and then I did, but the other 3 pages were sorta off topic medical drama? It wasnt the best story itself, but do you think I lose big marks for the actual answering of the question part (purpose I think?)
    Ah, here ... feck off expecting me to guess what marks ye're gonna get!! :p

Very generally, it depends ... if for example your story was about a young guy wanting to leave home, being warned that he was too young to take care of himself, leaving anyway, being mugged and ending up in A&E, waking up to see his mother crying over him, etc ... then there's a cohesion there.

If on the other extreme, he leaves home and suddenly we're into what really amounts to a second, separate short story about his life years later as a House-type consultant in America, you're probably going to set the examiner searching for the link / cohesion, and you might lose a few marks.

In general, though, you'll get away with pretty major flights of fancy provided you actually address the topic given and the story develops / has a cohesiveness about it.

GV and Plath I think I could get an A aswell, got an A in paper 2 in pre, my creative side for paper 1 always lets me down :(. Doing Dancing at Lughnasa instead of Hamlet as single text so I have no idea to expect from that :L :L

Haha I just saw the words corrected LC so I thought I'd chance it :pac: alright so, put's me at ease somewhat! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Btw, Martin, they said an "inferior" rock band and Nirvana was the first one that popped into your head?! :P
    finality wrote: »

weird
    It's only up in the last half hour or so, I checked earlier.
    Hayezer wrote: »
    Haha I just saw the words corrected LC so I thought I'd chance it :pac: alright so, put's me at ease somewhat! Thanks!
    Hope you read the questions on the exam more thoroughly ... >_>

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Btw, Martin, they said an "inferior" rock band and Nirvana was the first one that popped into your head?! :P

Certainly not. :rolleyes: It's just how they were seen by some people ya know, I worked it really well into the story as well, how this "inferior rock band" rose to fame to change music etc....That's why I'm sickened. I'm just hoping that it's an old woman correcter who thinks I have a very detailed imagination and was able to come with names like Dave Grohl on the spot.

Would I lose more than 5% overall do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Absolutely drained. How am I gonna manage the days with two exams :/ Wish I studied more :(

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Sure if they're putting up the first paper, they may as well put up the second one. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Don't worry lads, when you're 23, you're a mature student and points don't matter for naw'en.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

I'm just so tired I haven't been able to do anything today, and I feel so guilty too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

i tried studying poetry there and i actually can't take it?
    my brain is literally burnt out. ):
    i'll have to start fresh tomorrow morning i think. /:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Bubbleope wrote: »

It'll be ok prettyface! We're gonna get there :P

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

2 weeks lads. 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Scared.. Randy emailed me and told me who my English Teacher was....... #stalker.com

joke :P

But he did, now i'm curious how he knew..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Bubbleope wrote: »

Begin afresh, afresh, afresh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Scared.. Randy emailed me and told me who my English Teacher was....... #stalker.com

joke :P

But he did, now i'm curious how he knew..

Calling him just Randy makes him seem like he is a 90's American High school nerd...

Leftyflip wrote: »
    It'll be ok prettyface! We're gonna get there :P
    god i hope so. i actually feel weak. :L gonna get a nice cup of tea now and sure it'll be grand. :) {trying to be positive} :pac: not working ahhh okay tea now ♥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Eathrin wrote: »

Until everything [is] rainbow,rainbow,rainbow!

^^Uh oh... she's not on the course.....

Eathrin wrote: »

awh here! now i got my grammar wrong. :L now i definitely need tea. :eek:

.. and that's a Larkin poem quote!???????? awh here i'm actually f*cked. didn't even notice for a few minutes there. O':

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I am so stressed out, I actually just puked there now (although I think some of that was just the dinner)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I'm surrounded by idiots in my exam centre @_@

"HAAAAAAAAA h8 ta be down far hoigher levvil inglishhhhh"
    Kill me :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement