Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

Sometimes I wonder why I didn't study like I am this evening every evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I wish the Larkin poem 'This Be the Verse' which is in his biographical notes at the back of the book was on the course.

"They fcuk you up, your mum and dad.
    They may not mean to, but they do.
    They fill you with the faults they had
    And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fcuked up in their turn
    By fools in old-style hats and coats,
    Who half the time were soppy-stern
    And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
    It deepens like a coastal shelf.
    Get out as early as you can,
    And don't have any kids yourself."

It's angsty, but not in the whiny Rich sense, or terrifying Plath sense, of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

Superbus wrote: »
    I wish the Larkin poem 'This Be the Verse' which is in his biographical notes at the back of the book was on the course.

"They fcuk you up, your mum and dad.
    They may not mean to, but they do.
    They fill you with the faults they had
    And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fcuked up in their turn
    By fools in old-style hats and coats,
    Who half the time were soppy-stern
    And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
    It deepens like a coastal shelf.
    Get out as early as you can,
    And don't have any kids yourself."

It's angsty, but not in the whiny Rich sense, or terrifying Plath sense, of the word.

I think you only like it because it has "****" in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Wanchor wrote: »
    I think you only like it because it has "****" in it.

I am disappointed that you have such a low opinion of me.

That's only partially the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Ugh, I've realized two or three words that I spelled wrong today...they weren't basic words but even still, I'm really angry at myself. They're words I'm used to! Crepuscular I spelled crespuscular or something, and as I said before I spelled cacophony as cacaphony, and its all down to nerves. :(

I googled a Hamlet quote earlier and saw 'villain' and I was like OOPS I MEANT VILLIAN...God help my mechanics marks now. :pac:

Ah well, be grand, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

RZL5C-A1

The floor of my room(and some of my sexy arm). God help Greenstar when I go to do the recycling next week :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Ugh, I've realized two or three words that I spelled wrong today...they weren't basic words but even still, I'm really angry at myself. They're words I'm used to! Crepuscular I spelled crespuscular or something, and as I said before I spelled cacophony as cacaphony, and its all down to nerves. :(

I googled a Hamlet quote earlier and saw 'villain' and I was like OOPS I MEANT VILLIAN...God help my mechanics marks now. :pac:

Ah well, be grand, right?

oh no. don't confuse me. O: it is spelled as villain isn't it? right? D:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Yes, yes it is! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Lookin at my hamlet copy and all my answers are 7 pages long :( fml why do I like hamlet so much !!

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Yes, yes it is! :P

oh good. :pac: good. :L

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I tend to have 6 paragraphs in all of my Hamlet answers. The first and last obviously being the intro and conclusion respectively. I was wondering if someone could give me four headings for the in between paragraphs? My mind is completely numb.

On other more fun news I've decided to not only buy myself a new cushioned bicycle seat for after the Leaving but I'm also getting myself an attachment for my bike that will holdmy iPhone so I can use it as a map and also to see my speed and distance! :D

It's the little things okay...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

I haven't posted in here in ages so don't actually know any of you current LCers, but I wish you all the best with English Paper 2!

This time exactly a year ago, I was an absolutely nervous wreck - I desperately wanted an A1 in English, for my own satisfaction as well as needing it to get my course, so Paper 2 was literally the most stressful thing of my life then. The day before (aka now) was worst... I was both completely dreading it (in case it went badly) and wanting it to be over at the same time. Leaving Cert really is a horrific jumble of emotions, ahaha. :pac:

It seems pathetic now, but I still feel all panicky just remembering it - watching the RTE news reports about Paper 1 today made me feel jittery. :P So I know exactly how you all feel now with the infinite possibilities of Hamlet questions and poets weighing you down. :P

My advice is to stop studying NOW to let your poor brain unwind and rejuvenate for a bit, read something nice for an hour or two and then turn the lights out early. I took a sleeping tablet the night before English Paper 2 last year, as I was so stressed that I probably wouldn't have slept well otherwise. It was wonderful - I had about 10 hours of sleep and felt all refreshed in the morning. :D Until I remembered what lay ahead in just a couple of hours, of course...
    Have a good breakfast tomorrow, look over your notes for an hour or two after that, but DON'T attempt to learn things off by heart at this stage, and try to walk into school or something so there'll be oxygen in your brain. Get into school early to stop yourself stressing if you're relying on public transport, and also so you can have one last quick look over the notes, and release stress/get moral support from friends. :P

For the actual exam itself, arrive at least 10 minutes early so you have a few minutes to take some deep breaths. Remember timing, and remember that it's quality rather than quantity.Take no notice of the inevitable student asking for extra paper an hour into the exam. I don't think I wrote more than 5 pages for any of the essays on paper 2, and I got an A1. It's much more important that you answer the question properly and don't go off in a big tangent or start retelling the story. It may seem impossible to finish the paper properly when you think about it now - I was convinced last year that I'd open the paper see the questions and just blank... But the adrenaline should see you through if you can keep a calm head! And this is coming from someone who was borderline having a nervous breakdown about English last year, as I'm sure you can tell already. :pac:

Reading this back makes me sound pathetic, ahaha - just goes to show what a horrible paper English is. I'm still traumatised by it, even though I did well! I shall stop rambling aimlessly now, so GOOD LUCK!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

My spelling is great when I'm not writing exams when it comes to exams I start spelling even the simplest of words wrong because my minds thinking too fast lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Violafy wrote: »
    I haven't posted in here in ages so don't actually know any of you current LCers, but I wish you all the best with English Paper 2!

This time exactly a year ago, I was an absolutely nervous wreck - I desperately wanted an A1 in English, for my own satisfaction as well as needing it to get my course, so Paper 2 was literally the most stressful thing of my life then. The day before (aka now) was worst... I was both completely dreading it (in case it went badly) and wanting it to be over at the same time. Leaving Cert really is a horrific jumble of emotions, ahaha. :pac:

It seems pathetic now, but I still feel all panicky just remembering it - watching the RTE news reports about Paper 1 today made me feel jittery. :P So I know exactly how you all feel now with the infinite possibilities of Hamlet questions and poets weighing you down. :P

My advice is to stop studying NOW to let your poor brain unwind and rejuvenate for a bit, read something nice for an hour or two and then turn the lights out early. I took a sleeping tablet the night before English Paper 2 last year, as I was so stressed that I probably wouldn't have slept well otherwise. It was wonderful - I had about 10 hours of sleep and felt all refreshed in the morning. :D Until I remembered what lay ahead in just a couple of hours, of course...
    Have a good breakfast tomorrow, look over your notes for an hour or two after that, but DON'T attempt to learn things off by heart at this stage, and try to walk into school or something so there'll be oxygen in your brain. Get into school early to stop yourself stressing if you're relying on public transport, and also so you can have one last quick look over the notes, and release stress/get moral support from friends. :P

For the actual exam itself, arrive at least 10 minutes early so you have a few minutes to take some deep breaths. Remember timing, and remember that it's quality rather than quantity.Take no notice of the inevitable student asking for extra paper an hour into the exam. I don't think I wrote more than 5 pages for any of the essays on paper 2, and I got an A1. It's much more important that you answer the question properly and don't go off in a big tangent or start retelling the story. It may seem impossible to finish the paper properly when you think about it now - I was convinced last year that I'd open the paper see the questions and just blank... But the adrenaline should see you through if you can keep a calm head! And this is coming from someone who was borderline having a nervous breakdown about English last year, as I'm sure you can tell already. :pac:

Reading this back makes me sound pathetic, ahaha - just goes to show what a horrible paper English is. I'm still traumatised by it, even though I did well! I shall stop rambling aimlessly now, so GOOD LUCK!

Sylvia, is that you? <3 Please appear tomorrow... <3

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

Was in such a rush this morning as was told to be there at 9 to sign in, I only realised in the car on the way down that I wasn't wearing a BRA.. How embarassing, but I got to laugh at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

My spelling is great when I'm not writing exams when it comes to exams I start spelling even the simplest of words wrong because my minds thinking too fast lol.

Don't worry, examiners recognise little mistakes as a slip of the hand, you probably won't lose many marks, if any at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Raeone wrote: »
    Was in such a rush this morning as was told to be there at 9 to sign in, I only realised in the car on the way down that I wasn't wearing a BRA.. How embarassing, but I got to laugh at it.

Forgot my bra too today - was really weird and uncomfortable...

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

I think that happens to everyone! :| It definitely did to me anyway. My teacher definitely said that examiners will allow for a few mistakes - it's impossible to be perfect with the extent of the time pressure. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Leftyflip wrote: »

lol I always though those things were actually uncomfortable. Mind blown

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dearbhaile

Right well kinda disappointed about Paper 1, thought I was gonna fly it :(

Part A went well, did it on the first text. Part B I did on the third text (School tour) and that went spiffing also

Essay I did question 5 (All the time in the world) it's quality stuff but only got 2 and a half pages on it, just couldn't think of anythng more to say without going off the point completely. Anyone else do it and find that?
    I was delighted with it until I realised it had to be entertaining and light hearted,while on the way home In the car! Wrote mine completely the opposite!Annyig thung is,it really was excellent! Oh wellll,there goes my A!!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Is anyone else eating tons of junk food when they come home? Or is this just me? Like in the mornings I'm all, oh, exams, healthy food, stable blood sugar levels... and then when I came home I was like GIVE ME COOKIES

Is anyone else eating tons of junk food when they come home? Or is this just me? Like in the mornings I'm all, oh, exams, healthy food, stable blood sugar levels... and then when I came home I was like GIVE ME COOKIES

i'm eating sour sweets non-stop! even during the exam today i was. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

jellies, cookies, chocolate, crisps, biscuits, cake, ice-cream - you name it i've probably ate it today. fat mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

your back must be some sore :/ i hate when it happens, feel so naked and weird

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Hawt:cool::pac:

Was almost certain lefty is a boy>_>

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

How do you forget that? :eek::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Dearbhaile wrote: »
    I was delighted with it until I realised it had to be entertaining and light hearted,while on the way home In the car! Wrote mine completely the opposite!Annyig thung is,it really was excellent! Oh wellll,there goes my A!!:(

I realised that halfway through the article! It had been light-hearted the whole time, but I went a bit over the top on the entertaining part for the rest of it. :o Really hope my examiner has a sense of humour. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

Eathrin wrote: »

moobs. man bra. they're all the range now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

...That's the joke. :P

• Advertisement

Hawt:cool::pac: