Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I had a dream about the paper and Ophelia . Gertrude came up as a character on their own lol. I can't remember what poet came up in my dream I think Larkin did. Why am I dreaming about the english paper seriously lol.

I know my Plath quotes the most out of the poets I learnt. I'm going to type up the quotes for each of the poems to help me remember. Rich I know next. Boland I remember certain quotes in a few of her poems.
    Maybe Boland and Plath will come up sometimes two women show up?
    I really hope General vision and Role of women will be on the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

If a question on soliloquies comes up, can you talk about Claudius' soliloquy too? (the Prayer Scene one)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

If a question on soliloquies comes up, can you talk about Claudius' soliloquy too? (the Prayer Scene one)

Yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Please don't write about Plant tomorrow :pac:
    finality wrote: »
    Plant WILL be on the paper. The hours I've spent learning stairway to heaven quotes just can't go to waste. :(
    Bubbleope wrote: »
    AgSci is the 21st. :pac: Plath is a plant. :)

It was the auto-correct:(

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

so if i have the character of hamlet, deception, role of women for hamlet
    gvvp for comparative
    Heaney and Plath for poetry
    am i safe for the exam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

What's this Text 2 everyone's going on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Glitt_123 wrote: »
    so if i have the character of hamlet, deception, role of women for hamlet
    gvvp for comparative
    Heaney and Plath for poetry
    am i safe for the exam?

No one knows! But probably. Same as me

Siobhnk wrote: »
    What's this Text 2 everyone's going on about?

If you have text 2 it mentions both Heaney and Boland.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Oh a question on soliloquies would be ever so pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

reznov wrote: »
    Oh a question on soliloquies would be ever so pleasant.
    YES! <3 I would actually die of happiness! It's basically Hamlet's character (conscience, disillusionment etc.)

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE

<3

• Advertisement

If a letter comes up to write to the poet.
    Do you write it formally? and do you have to remember where the poet is from and the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

A LETTER? WHAT

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

I need Plath, Heaney or Rich.
    General Vision/Viewpoint or Theme.
    Role of women or something on Hamlet/Claudius.
    In that order!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

If a letter comes up to write to the poet.
    Do you write it formally? and do you have to remember where the poet is from and the area?

my teacher said that it's not that important the layout. you're basically just writing it as the essay. but just do it formally and don't worry about the address cos some of the poets are dead. like if you're writing to heaney just say Ireland don't say china or somewhere but it doesn't really matter :D (thats what my teacher said anyways)

I actually dislike this whole mixing of formats, for example writing a letter to a poet which lasts 4 pages. Please, if it is an essay we are writing, then let it be in essay not letter format.

I need Larkin/Plath
    Literary Genre
    and well i'm just fecked for hamlet either ways

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

I finally feel okay for Hamlet. I know a shít ton of quotes, I've looked over all the characters, some key themes and I feel as if I could answer pretty much any question now. :')

Wish I could say the same for the poets though. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I've only 4 poems for Heaney, 4 for Rich, 4 for Larkin and 3 for Kinsella :( I feel sick. And I really don't know Hamlet :confused: fuuuuuuuuck

I have three poems each for the three females and that's it. You only need three and a fourth in passing, which I might bring in for whoever comes up.

i don't know if it's because our mocks were marked easily but i only wrote about 2 and a half poems on Plath and got 45/50 so don't worry!

hmmm once again i find myself here instead of last minute cramming.

• Advertisement

I'm actually sad it's the last time I'm ever going to sit a english paper :(.
    I love english , I think I might just study it until I have to leave.
    I really want a A or B1 at the at least!.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Omg shut up guys I'll shoot myself if its soliloquies x_____x

Also, people are trying to convince me if you fail maths you fail the LC. :rolleyes: Not that I plan to fail it but I dont need to pass it and no one will take me out of my pleasant little bubble safe in that knowledge. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

For people talking about the soliloquies: do you deal with each soliloquy separately and talk about their content or do you say that, for example, "soliloquies show us hamlets melancholy. We see this in soliloquy x, y and z..." ?

You do fail the LC If you fail Maths. You'll be unable to get into many university courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Omg shut up guys I'll shoot myself if its soliloquies x_____x

Also, people are trying to convince me if you fail maths you fail the LC. :rolleyes: Not that I plan to fail it but I dont need to pass it and no one will take me out of my pleasant little bubble safe in that knowledge. :P

I hate that kind of talk "You automatically fail your leaving cert if you don't pass maths"
    Ehm, could I get that in writing? Didn't think so!
    My second choice I don't need to pass maths but I'd still like to pass it. :P

Ally7 wrote: »
    For people talking about the soliloquies: do you deal with each soliloquy separately and talk about their content or do you say that, for example, "soliloquies show us hamlets melancholy. We see this in soliloquy x, y and z..." ?

Role of soliloquies: how is the play influenced by them? What changes did they bring to the mentality of characters and subsequent actions which followed. What actually spurred the soliloquies?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

You do fail the LC If you fail Maths.
    No you dont? UCD dont require it and even at that they accept one HLE or something.
    M&S* wrote: »
    I hate that kind of talk "You automatically fail your leaving cert if you don't pass maths"
    Ehm, could I get that in writing? Didn't think so!
    My second choice I don't need to pass maths but I'd still like to pass it. :P
    Ugh I know! I dont need to pass it for my first choice but I'd like the points :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

You do fail the LC If you fail Maths.
    No you don't. You can't fail the Leaving cert. You pass the L.C. the day you get that results sheet, regardless of what's on it, you can't fail. Some courses will still take you if you fail Maths/English. Albeit not many but for example UCD Arts and Civil Law.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Role of soliloquies: how is the play influenced by them? What changes did they bring to the mentality of characters and subsequent actions which followed. What actually spurred the soliloquies?

Puke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Ally7 wrote: »

I would talk about each individually have a few quotes from them and basically ''translate'' what he is saying.

''O, that this too too solid flesh would melt thaw and resolve itself into a dew!'' Hamlet wished that his body would just melt, turn to water and become like the dew, he contemplates suicide blablabla

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement