Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

We only did one poet that came up :( and girls started crying in the middle of the exam :(

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Oh god lads, there's gonna be war over this. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

It's kind of hilarious how both Plath and Heaney pulled a Boland.
    I'm so glad Rich came up. I really wanted Plath but at least I got Rich instead I remembered her quotes.
    I made an attempt at Hamlets Madness I looked at a sample answer on that like before I left so I vaguely remembered not many of the quotes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

The Hamlet essay was actually perfect for me. I used all my own opinions on his madness, hopefully the examiner will be like "MY GOD! This is original work, the world is coming to an end!" and give me full marks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Oooooooooooo snap.

I wrote 5 pages on Larkin but I hated the mention of 'disappointment' - its not disappointment, its just depressing thoughts, I always looked at it as him being pissy idk. Got 5 pages anyway, filled with quotes.

The GV+V was awkward. I just constantly referred to being extremely upset / negative emotional response. 7.5 pages but really unbalanced with 3 pages for (a) and 4.5 for (b).

Hamlet, goes without saying, was f*cking brutal. I waffled the one on his madness and had to change my introduction and write "please see end of essay" like an idiot.

Unseen poetry was kinda funny, idc how it went but I was all "I liked the image of sweet-peas. It immersed me in childhood memories hidden in the recesses of my mind - which proved quite cathartic in the middle of English Paper 2!" :pac:
    It also looked kinda like "sweet-poos" til I fixed it but I didnt have time to re-read everything.

I'm really worried all the exams will be shaken up like that...

• Advertisement

Judging on the English paper... Geography tomorrow is going to be absolutely AWFUL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Plath didn't come up, but Rich did, and it was fine, would have been better if Plath did but It was sound. Thank god I looked over Rich last night.

For madness I spoke about Hamlet and also how Laertes and Ophelia were affected by madness?
    Was this the right thing to do?

I didn't look at my corruption essay and looked at Madness before I left the house and I remembered it well I think well vaguely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

I said rich gives us lasting and memorable images which will stay with us long after we read her poems and guess what no quotes because they are that memorable :/

For madness I spoke about Hamlet and also how Laertes and Ophelia were affected by madness?
    Was this the right thing to do?

I didn't look at my corruption essay and looked at Madness before I left the house and I remembered it well I think well vaguely.

But it was the affect of Hamlet's madness on the audience... Not the affect of madness on the characters? :/

• Advertisement

For Hamlet I did the corruption one, I just went on about characters, symbolism, soliloquiess and a few other thing that convey corruption. What did others do.

But it was the affect of Hamlet's madness on the audience... Not the affect of madness on the characters? :/

Oh crap I made a mess of that question then. I brought the audience into a little though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Oh I am so Lucky I looked at Larkin this morning!
    Everything else was pretty dire though:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Oh lord, I felt so guilty for the first ten minutes of that exam 'cause I spent the last couple of days saying "I really hope Plath and Heaney don't come up!!" :pac:

Don't worry guys, karma resulted in me not finishing the exam in time. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I talked about Hamlet's madness and its effect on Ophelia, but in a really weird way. Like I gave two possible reasons as to why he was so cruel to her, and how its fascinating for the audience because we empathize with their tragedy and also get to ask questions about why he did what he did. I hope it came across properly. :S

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

Larkin essay - good
    Literary Genre essay - good
    Hamlet essay - page and a half of actual crap
    win some lose some

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

No Plath or Heaney. There goes that High B/low A I was looking for. More like a C now...

I also answered the comparative and the hamlet questions really badly...
    I even managed to muddle up the unseen a bit too.
    That was horrible. definitely got <70

And I only got 3500 words written!

I made such a mess of my Hamlet question I had a feeling I would anyway, unless it was role of women or deception. Hopefully the poetry and comparative will bring me up.
    I hope I get that B1! I really need at least that.
    I have no idea how english went to be honest it felt like it went well apart from Hamlet. The unseen mine was only half a page the a) and b). What the poem about a boy being shouted at by the grandmother?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

No Plath or Heaney. There goes that High B/low A I was looking for. More like a C now...

I also answered the comparative and the hamlet questions really badly...
    I even managed to muddle up the unseen a bit too.
    That was horrible. definitely got <70

Almost the exact same, I'm gutted...

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

The only thing that went well for me was Rich :L

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

I had about 30 Hamlet quotes learnt off, they just wouldn't come to me, and such a a great question it was too!

Same story with the comparative.
    Did the personal response on the unseen. Got about 1.5 pages written. Not great points though.
    Then the prescribed....ohhh I didn't know any of them besides remotely knowing Kavanagh. Had to bull it. got a crap load of irrelevant quotes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

I am personally ecstatic with how English went. Todays paper was beautiful for me! Yesterdays went good too!

For poetry I learn off a general sample answer I made before on Kinsella and tweeked it well into the question. I did this question first and got down 5 pages in 35 minutes so it was a good start!

Then I went to comparative, I think it went well question was a bit weird though :confused: But I just focused on the main character throughout but I didn't have that many comparisons argh! Still I got 6 pages out of this in 50 minutes so that was all good :)

Hamlet went really good :D I did the second one and with all the time I had leftover I spent about 10/15 minutes planning it! These were the techniques I used: Creation of corrupt characters, use of soliloquy, use of images of rottenness, disease and weeds and also wrote on the theme of deception! Wrote 5 and a bit pages.

Then I had like 40 minutes left for the unseen poem and reading over my script so I'm quite happy with how I did! I'm only aiming for a B1 in English anyway, but with a slice of luck I might sly an A2... but I'm definitely not getting my hopes up :P

Just wondering did anyone else do the 2nd Hamlet question? If so what techniques did ye use?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Larkin - Grand
    Madness - Grand
    GV&V - Wasn't ready for it but grand
    Unseen Poem - Grand

Overall it was... Grand :pac: Hopefully I did well enough to pass

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Pretty annoyed I didn't study Rich better, was SUCH a nice question.

Lads does it matter too much if you miss a word in a quote/ mix up :(? I could only vaguely remember the quotes I looked over last week but things like "window,balcony and gate" I said "gate,window and balcony" and "cracked and suppurating skin of her finger ends" i said "cracked suppurating finger ends" that sorta thing

Wesc. wrote: »
    Just wondering did anyone else do the 2nd Hamlet question? If so what techniques did ye use?

Paper went decent for me too.

I found the hamlet one kind of difficult, I mentioned how the characters,(I know it's not really a technique but it kinda is)the opening (Marcellus Quote), symbolism and Soliloquies. Pretty much the same as you, it was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

i don't do maths. gonna be so lonely tomorrow when everyone is doing it. maybe i'll go in and sit the ordinary paper for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

My writing was so illegible...and I wrote 29 pages of it between P1/P2. Didnt get to read over P2 but I'm just thankful I finished it.

I wanted to make a stab at corruption but was too afraid of doing it wrong! Seems I would've done it well but meh, no point dwelling, hopefully madness went well anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Paper went decent for me too.

I found the hamlet one difficult, I mentioned how the characters,(I know it's not really a technique but it kinda is)the opening (Marcellus Quote), symbolism and Soliloquies. WBU ?

Wrote 5 pages.

This was the order of my paragraphs:
    1) Intro
    2)Claudius
    3)Polonius
    4)Images of disease and sickness
    5)Images of rottenness and decay
    6)Images of weeds
    7)The theme of deception
    8)^again
    9)The use of soliloquys
    10)Conclusion.

Happy with Hamlet although I think my phrasing was a bit awkward at times :o But still I made sure every sentence was relevant to the question so hopefully I got high relevance marks!

• Advertisement

I think my parents are splitting up. :/

The next few weeks are gonna be eventful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement