Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Togepi wrote: »
    I got an awful Adrienne-aline rush when I saw the poets on the paper.

(Sorry that was terrible I just wanted to join in.) :pac:

I would thank that... but it brings back haunting memories..... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I would thank that... but it brings back haunting memories..... :P

Oh god, sorry! :P You had awful luck for that to happen though! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Epsi

I got an awful Adrienne-aline rush when I saw the poets on the paper.

(Sorry that was terrible I just wanted to join in.) :pac:
    I wanted to laugh , but then I remembered english paper two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

scumbag-brain-never-thinks-during-the-day.jpg

Oh god, sorry! :P You had awful luck for that to happen though! :eek:

Its grand... just nobody can mention the "R" word while I'm around :P I said she was my favourite poet in my essay (lies, if I even liked her i would have studied her ) :L oh my examiner will have a good laugh at the essay :L :) It will serve some good in the world :P And I still can't get over my unbelievable bad luck :P :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

But they haven't, Patchy, the papers were never 100% predictable and have been gradually becoming less so over the last few years, and this has been highlighted again and again; there's been a few surprises every year, none of them actually as major as the people sitting the exam felt at the time.
    Ahhh I dunno randy :/ Look at GV+V in English - for once there was a curveball there.

More pronounced in geography. I guarantee if the exam was anything like last year I'd have gotten my A. EU policies came up but not the ones we'd done. The pattern that was there since 2006 in my option section was broken. MNCs came up under corporate strategy which doesnt even seem to be outlined in the syllabus which my teacher has given us like 5 copies of. Regional was expected to be SW USA urban area - the pattern went Ireland, Europe, SW USA, none, Ireland, Europe, and now...Europe again, and it was, for the first time, very specific and awkward. I couldnt answer a lot of the regional stuff and was left with no options because of how awkward the headings given were.

Even in human geography I noticed overpopulation was absent for only the second time ever. It was really, really awful overall, and far worse than last year :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Ahhh I dunno randy :/ Look at GV+V in English - for once there was a curveball there.

More pronounced in geography. I guarantee if the exam was anything like last year I'd have gotten my A. EU policies came up but not the ones we'd done. The pattern that was there since 2006 in my option section was broken. MNCs came up under corporate strategy which doesnt even seem to be outlined in the syllabus which my teacher has given us like 5 copies of. Regional was expected to be SW USA urban area - the pattern went Ireland, Europe, SW USA, none, Ireland, Europe, and now...Europe again, and it was, for the first time, very specific and awkward. I couldnt answer a lot of the regional stuff and was left with no options because of how awkward the headings given were.

Even in human geography I noticed overpopulation was absent for only the second time ever. It was really, really awful overall, and far worse than last year :/

Patchy, they have to maintain the bell curve, if A grades are much fewer than last year then there will be **** to pay. The exams will be marked much easier I assume.

But yeah I agree completely the SEC pulled a fast one and it's annoying.

Cant mark blank space easily - I had next to nothing to write for my atmosphere-ocean question. The entire option is dreadful, you think they'd be gentle and at least give previously asked questions or just keep the damn pattern, but no. I'll be lucky to get like 20/80, I wanted 76+, I worked my ass off for that stupid exam and my teacher said I'd get an A, so much for that.

Urgh, cant even bear to think about it anymore. :|

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

I haven't sat any option subjects yet, you guys are making me really nervous in case physics/chem/economics are just as nasty as geography apparently was :/

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Lets just spark a revolution and not bother sitting our LCs.

Examiners cannot get paid if they have nothing to correct. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Ah sure we're just kAVANagh laugh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

<geography>

Am I the only person who thought the GV+V 30+40 mark question was wonderful? It was basically open season to bulls**t extensively about every text. 'Emotional response'? Let me at that thing :P And GV+V is just so much bulls**t really like. Don't worry about your grades Patchy, you'll deffs get your course.

I haven't sat any option subjects yet, you guys are making me really nervous in case physics/chem/economics are just as nasty as geography apparently was :/

They will be nasty! Just learn everything and chance nothing.

I know I'm worried imperfect may not come up not and they'll put oligopoly on again and all the other things predicted won't be on . I really need a high grade in economics.

Am I the only person who thought the GV+V 30+40 mark question was wonderful? It was basically open season to bulls**t extensively about every text. 'Emotional response'? Let me at that thing :P And GV+V is just so much bulls**t really like. Don't worry about your grades Patchy, you'll deffs get your course.

I agree, that was a perfect GVV. Just throw in the word emotional once in a while and you're sorted. The 70 marker on the other hand... :rolleyes:

Oh dont get me wrong, I loved it and found it easy - just threw in some waffle about an emotional response to keep it relevant ;) I definitely couldnt have done the 70 marker though and it was...different, to put the response bit in. I still think I got close to 70/70, I cant see where I didnt answer it properly like :)

Ahh everyone's telling me that but you're all too kind :o Like geography was that bad. I was so prepared for things that just didnt show. All I need technically is 6 HC3s I guess, not even because I can get a B then afford a D etc, but I'll be crushed by how low my points will fall compared to my mocks. I wont complain if I get into college at the end of the day but its so disheartening.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Any hopes I had of getting 500+ are slowly slipping away. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

reznov wrote: »
    I agree, that was a perfect GVV. Just throw in the word emotional once in a while and you're sorted. The 70 marker on the other hand... :rolleyes:

I thought it was a nice question aswell linked to the question etc but then when people started mentioning past tenses I started quivering:(

I thought the 70 marker was lovely! So easy to talk about. :D

I thought the 70 marker was lovely! So easy to talk about. :D

Next year it'll be even more specific. But ah be grand.

• Advertisement

I have to agree, all the exams so far seem to be strange and not the norm... our english exam has been deemed the hardest english LC exam of our generation. Maths had really tricky and weird parts... like integration area and diff 6 c and seq and series were definitely odd. Strangest maths paper i've seen in a while.
    And geo caused major drama in my school too and home ec. A lot of people are really upset and I can understand why. The papers are so different this year.

Why? I'm sort of feeling the same way... What course you after?

The lesson in all of this is simple:
    Wait until next year to sit the LC.

Oh boy, cannot wait until Biology. Last year they had begun twisting it a little, this year... :eyeroll:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Aww don't think like, they might go easier on the marking scheme

Oh boy, cannot wait until Biology. Last year they had begun twisting it a little, this year... :eyeroll:

Aw man Biology is my biggest worry (after History, and Physics), I have this really strong feeling they're going to mess with it and complicate it as much as they can. I'd be gutted if I got less than a B1 but the way our teacher marked us so leniently in the mocks, I don't know if I'll even get that much! So annoying, I could go either way with it like. Pure yo-yo situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Ahhh this is what I'm afraid of, the new Chief Examiner is obviously trying to shake things up and the whole unpredictability thing...I need that A1. Fcuk the SEC for treating us like their guinea pigs tbh

Aw man Biology is my biggest worry (after History, and Physics), I have this really strong feeling they're going to mess with it and complicate it as much as they can. I'd be gutted if I got less than a B1 but the way our teacher marked us so leniently in the mocks, I don't know if I'll even get that much! So annoying, I could go either way with it like. Pure yo-yo situation.

For a year I have consistently studied all sciences, Maths and English. Thus far, the result is not very optimistic.
    Bio better work out, one of my favourite subjects along with Chem and Math.

Why? I'm sort of feeling the same way... What course you after?

I wanted Medicine, but I know at this stage there's no chance. :( Hoping for Human Health and Disease or Psychology now. You?
    Namlub wrote: »
    Aww don't think like, they might go easier on the marking scheme

Ahhhhhh, I just feel like every exam I've done so far has been awful. Hopefully they go easy on us.

Namlub wrote: »
    Ahhh this is what I'm afraid of, the new Chief Examiner is obviously trying to shake things up and the whole unpredictability thing...I need that A1. Fcuk the SEC for treating us like their guinea pigs tbh

I am all for unpredictability and fair exams, but the teachers in my school have in no way accommodated for a deeper understanding in any subjects, doing the bare minimum based on predictions in many cases.

• Advertisement

I thought the 70marker went alright you just needed to pick a central character and speak about it as you normally would . I think I did it right anyway :S.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement