Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

reznov wrote: »
    I am all for unpredictability and fair exams, but the teachers in my school have in no way accommodated for a deeper understanding in any subjects, doing the bare minimum based on predictions in many cases.

Yeah I don't thinks it's a bad thing in general, if they phased it in. Dumping it on us in the same year they changed the maths and Irish is just unfair though.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

I thought the 70marker went alright you just needed to pick a central character and speak about it as you normally would . I think I did it right anyway :S.

Perhaps, but not to risk purpose marks I was not willing to experiment.
    I also did a 30/40 on my mock and scored highly in it. So here is to hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Ugh, I feel horrendous.

Gonna go sleep and dream of a world where points don't matter. :rolleyes:

Namlub wrote: »
    Yeah I don't thinks it's a bad thing in general, if they phased it in. Dumping it on us in the same year they changed the maths and Irish is just unfair though.

I feel like my efforts have gone down the drain, but at the same time, they're exams and what matters is what happens on the day.

Just curious as to why they decided this year. Ruari wasn't kidding. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I take it I'm the only one who came straight home from Maths Paper 1 and lay in bed until about half an hour ago* then? :cool:

*I had one food break at dinner time. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Did Ruairi actually say they were shaking things up this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

For a year I have consistently studied all sciences, Maths and English. Thus far, the result is not very optimistic.
    Bio better work out, one of my favourite subjects along with Chem and Math.

Same as. I'm not doing HL maths though. English was wonderful for me, I'm an exception in that :P And maths went very smoothly for me so far too. I'm looking forward to Physics but Bio's definitely going to be an interesting one! History too :pac:

Eathrin wrote: »
    Did Ruairi actually say they were shaking things up this year?

Yeah he implied that there are changes to be made, especially in English to combat prepared essays.

Predictions this year = worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

The one bright side with the new idea for these exams is that everything should still fit into the bell curve. They hardly want the whole country doing terrible like.

Togepi wrote: »
    I take it I'm the only one who came straight home from Maths Paper 2 and lay in bed until about half an hour ago* then? :cool:

Paper 2?
    Agh I missed it!:eek:
    :pac:

• Advertisement

Same as. I'm not doing HL maths though. English was wonderful for me, I'm an exception in that :P And maths went very smoothly for me so far too. I'm looking forward to Physics but Bio's definitely going to be an interesting one! History too :pac:

You have my sympathy in sitting History. D:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

I feel like my efforts have gone down the drain, but at the same time, they're exams and what matters is what happens on the day.

Just curious as to why they decided this year. Ruari wasn't kidding. :rolleyes:

The Mayans predicted it long ago... that's why the calender stops then ... the end of LCer's hopes and dreams :P

M&S* wrote: »
    The one bright side with the new idea for these exams is that everything should still fit into the bell curve. They hardly want the whole country doing terrible like.

Would not be a bad idea to reduce grade inflation.

Yeah he implied that there are changes to be made, especially in English to combat prepared essays.

Predictions this year = worthless.

Like I said before, I don't even bother predicting in the bulk of my subjects, just accounting. I will kill the chief examiner if he fúcks me and my predictions over.

Like I said before, I don't even bother predicting in the bulk of my subjects, just accounting. I will kill the chief examiner if he fúcks me and my predictions over.

I don't bother either, but for those who do. :P

(you in accounting :D)

I will vomit about history, like you have to make predictions to some extent otherwise you'd have to learn like a thousand essays. Don't let me down Michael Collins <3

I will vomit about history, like you have to make predictions to some extent otherwise you'd have to learn like a thousand essays. Don't let me down Michael Collins <3

Plath = Michael Collins?!?!?!?
    :confused::confused::confused:
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Got a B1 in my pres for History, starting to seriously worry.... Propaganda will not ****ing come up that's a given

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I thought the 70marker went alright you just needed to pick a central character and speak about it as you normally would . I think I did it right anyway :S.
    Yeah but thats what I really hated...most teachers are awful and uncreative and they base their comparative around whatever those stupid revision books do. Half this forum probably did HMMB, IID and DAL. My teacher picked unique texts and character questions just dont work with it, and we almost got punished for actually doing something different...

Thankfully they put "aspects" in the 30/40 mark one. We dont look at central characters, we looked at aspects e.g. treatment of children (not just the one main child), and also women, and many other aspects. They might as well ask a question on poetry that wont fit many people's 6 poems - it was just so unfair!

Got 65/70 in the mock in GV+V and I'm praying I at least maintained it...

You sound like a dear friend of mine, she'd die for a Michael Collins essay, she loves the man :L :)
    History is scaring me the most.... chief examiner may watch his step i've had enough bad exams :P

• Advertisement

Paper 2?
    Agh I missed it!:eek:

-1 for a slip. Damnit, there goes my A1 and with it my dreams of 625. </3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

You sound like a dear friend of mine, she'd die for a Michael Collins essay, she loves the man :L :)
    History is scaring me the most.... chief examiner may watch his step i've had enough bad exams :P

Hahah so true. Ya never feel safe with History, it's like 'I've only learnt off four essays for this topic, omg I'm f**ked!' such a dickhead of a subject like. Wish I did chemistry instead in fairness

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Yeah but thats what I really hated...most teachers are awful and uncreative and they base their comparative around whatever those stupid revision books do. Half this forum probably did HMMB, IID and DAL. My teacher picked unique texts and character questions just dont work with it, and we almost got punished for actually doing something different...

Thankfully they put "aspects" in the 30/40 mark one. We dont look at central characters, we looked at aspects e.g. treatment of children (not just the one main child), and also women, and many other aspects. They might as well ask a question on poetry that wont fit many people's 6 poems - it was just so unfair!

We studied unique texts too but my teachers essay was based around a sample.
    You know, maybe repeating isn't such a bad idea after all? All this new experience. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Perhaps, but not to risk purpose marks I was not willing to experiment.
    I also did a 30/40 on my mock and scored highly in it. So here is to hoping!

I didn't do mocks but I always score less on the a) b) part then when I do the 70. I remembered the question I did the last time. But I forgot to mention Michael as a central character and referred to the whole family. I think I forget what the question is asking me and go off point or I write to much for part a or b. I find it easier to just compare the 3.
    Togepi wrote: »
    I take it I'm the only one who came straight home from Maths Paper 1 and lay in bed until about half an hour ago* then? :cool:

I haven't done anything tonight or opened a single book lol.
    Tomorrow will be maths for the whole day and business.
    It's good to have breaks from studying :). I didn't feel like opening a maths paper after my paper going awful lol.

I wonder whats going to happen when the exams finish. Will we all still chat? lol.

The only positive thing about sitting the LC is you no longer wait for the 6th of June.

Hahah so true. Ya never feel safe with History, it's like 'I've only learnt off four essays for this topic, omg I'm f**ked!' such a dickhead of a subject like. Wish I did chemistry instead in fairness

I dont learn off essays for it because that never works out ... oh and in my second mock ... haha this is proof of how unlucky I really and truly am .. I learnt 2 case studys (and there are 3 in each) for each because I was stuck for time to study for it anyways... Nothing I studied came up in the 4 sections :( Oh woe is me :( Yes the other case study I didnt learn came up in all :(
    Wish I did accounting or french :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Patchy~ wrote: »

I think my school used those as we were all repeats as well and it's easy to do those in a year. I could've done my texts from last year but I did them at ordinary level. Aw it must be really interesting do other texts though :).
    I know some people used Casablanca instead of Inside I'm Dancing.

I haven't done anything tonight or opened a single book lol.
    Tomorrow will be maths for the whole day and business.
    It's good to have breaks from studying :). I didn't feel like opening a maths paper after my paper going awful lol.

Same, I just have to do Irish and Maths over the weekend. Can't wait for those two to be out of the way. Guarantee that I won't do a tap for Irish though. :cool:
    I wonder whats going to happen when the exams finish. Will we all still chat? lol.

Of course we will - THE BOARDSIE CRAIC!!! <3:D

I propose a LC graduation class 2012 OT:D

• Advertisement

The other English classes did Oedipus, the Great Gatsby and Casablanca which would have been way more interesting but our teacher was completely dependent on Key Notes so yeah. Always thought revision books were for student aids rather than teaching material but there you go

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement