Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

But before I go
    Showdown Ranger!

Oh blinking hell, are you trying to depress us all? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

It's mad how we're all still awake haha. We're all usually gone by now lol.

Im up this late even if I do have an exam the next morning.. I find it easier for stuff to sink in at around this time before an exam:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I know English Paper II is long gone and all the rest, but I just have a quick question for ye all that did this question for Rich's poetry:

2etjg.png

I discussed the poem 'Power' as my last poem, talked about the imagery and that but said that Rich communicated her feelings through Marie Curie, a symbol for female empowerment and equality in society? Anyone know if this is right or was I completely off the wall? Would it matter if you just backed up your opinion? Kinda worried as I want an A1 and only discussed 3 poems (albeit I did in great detail, 6 pages) but I don't want to get my hopes up! :pac: Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Breifne72

barryprp wrote: »
    lads i was just thinking to myself there...the papers thrown at us this year have been f***ing ridiculous..this whole "reform" in the way they pick the questions has seriously screwed me..i mean first plath and heaney in english..then that shambles of a geography exam where questions were far more specific than previous years..how is that fair? they should reform the way the subjects are taught if you ask me..i knew more fecking maths than my maths teacher for the past two years..i mean how are you supposed to do a subject as hard as honours maths when you have a fella standing at the top of the class with a big stupid head up on him nothing haveing a clue what hes doing...........rant over!

agreed! like the courses are so broad you have to do some predictin if ya wanna do well :pac: like we're the one that are gonna suffer cause ruairi quinn had to shout his mouth off about papers bein "too predictable" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Doing Biology and small bit of French today. Maths Paper 2 being hit BIG TIME tomorrow and some Irish!
    Does anybody know....If I take an honours paper, but don't like it..can I take a pass one instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

ConTheCat wrote: »
    Doing Biology and small bit of French today. Maths Paper 2 being hit BIG TIME tomorrow and some Irish!
    Does anybody know....If I take an honours paper, but don't like it..can I take a pass one instead?

I'm not 100%, but I don't think that you can :/

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lorrieq

You have to sit paper 2 at the level you sat paper 1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I know English Paper II is long gone and all the rest, but I just have a quick question for ye all that did this question for Rich's poetry:

2etjg.png

I discussed the poem 'Power' as my last poem, talked about the imagery and that but said that Rich communicated her feelings through Marie Curie, a symbol for female empowerment and equality in society? Anyone know if this is right or was I completely off the wall? Would it matter if you just backed up your opinion? Kinda worried as I want an A1 and only discussed 3 poems (albeit I did in great detail, 6 pages) but I don't want to get my hopes up! :pac: Thanks!

I'd say that would be fine if you backed your opinion. Usually everything you say is fine as long as you can back it up. If you got to 6pages with 3 poems and you went in to great detail that would be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Have to study all my Irish this weekend. Only remembered this morning that An Triail exists. Whoops. :pac: Not planning on counting it anyway so I don't really mind what I get, plus I have a decent enough standard of Irish that I could make it up.

Also, someone please tell me why there is nothing but Adrienne Rich quotes going through my head? I didn't even study her that well or answer on her, but I can't get little snippets of her poems out of my head :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

lorrieq wrote: »
    You have to sit paper 2 at the level you sat paper 1
    For a different subject! I've some strange idea you could at the JC :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

That's the attitude to have, I hope it all goes well for you! :D

Btw, whichever of you started talking about the show Community in here the other day will be blamed if I fail the leaving. I started watching it on Tuesday and I'm already on season 2 :P

About Community...that would be me :L

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

For a different subject! I've some strange idea you could at the JC :/

The other day one of the guys on Countdown to 606 said once you see a paper you have to take it - you can't look at it and then change your level.

Awesome procrastination shows to watch online (If you haven't already watched most you should be ashamed)

Sons of Anarchy
    Game of thrones
    Breaking Bad
    The Walking Dead
    Boardwalk Empire
    Spartacus (A bit man fleshy, poor enough acting but good fight scenes)
    The Wire
    Rome
    The Borgias
    Blue Bloods
    Bored to Death (Alright)

Breaking Bad is amazing, Walking Dead this season was pretty slow imo, Spartacus is fun :P. Waiting for summer for Game of Thrones, could never really get into The Wire and Boardwalk Empire! Might check out Sons of Anarchy.

Anyone else left LC mode? It's weekend, can't pull myself to study:(

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Epsi

Hayezer wrote: »
    Breaking Bad is amazing, Walking Dead this season was pretty slow imo, Spartacus is fun :P. Waiting for summer for Game of Thrones, could never really get into The Wire and Boardwalk Empire! Might check out Sons of Anarchy.

I found the first three episodes of season 2 of the Walking dead to be good. Especially the story of Shane and Otis at the school. It had me on the edge of my seat!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

At this point the LC can go screw itself.
    So much time invested into it, and little rewards reaped.

Epsi wrote: »
    I found the first three episodes of season 2 of the Walking dead to be good. Especially the story of Shane and Otis at the school. It had me on the edge of my seat!

Yep, but they dwelled on Sophia for too long! And Carl made me seriously want to break my TV, most annoying person I've ever seen :L

Yep, but they dwelled on Sophia for too long! And Carl made me seriously want to break my TV, most annoying person I've ever seen :L
    They did spend a tad bit long looking for the girl. I don't get all the Carl haters though.

reznov wrote: »

I'm getting really worried, papers seem unpredictable. Thought I'd be ok for Biology and Chemistry but now I'm starting to wonder :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Is anyone else as worried about Biology as I am? I've always been an A/B student. Only subject I really studied over my two years, did half an hour of biology every week night. Was hoping for an A or at least B1 in the actual thing but I'm afraid they will ask ridic questions. :(

At least I have two whole days to revise everything. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

reznov wrote: »

All feels like a complete waste.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

Watch sons of anarchy. It is simply amazing. Especially the acting. Ron Pearlman is soooo good.
    You watch season one and your like "Wow that was really good"
    then by the time you get to season 3 your like "THAT WAS FRIGGAN AWESOME" :) :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Also lads, cheer up!
    So far everyone I have spoken Rojas said that they exams were harder and unpredictable than they had expected. So the standard of this years exams have to be lower than other years. You guys probably did better than most people, so the ol' bell curve will probably play in your favour. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Anyof you do biology here? I'm so worried, I feel the paper will have a lot of plant biology and I suck at it :/ any ideas what I should focus more on in regards to plant bio? It just never stays in my head for long enough :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

The way people are complaining about papers being unpredictable is kind of annoying me at this point. Exams should be unpredictable, they're supposed to be a genuine test of your knowledge of the course. If you only learn half the course because that's what you think will come up, in my opinion you don't really deserve a high grade because you haven't put the work in and ultimately don't have a good knowledge of the course. Honestly, a student who gets an A1 should know 90% of the material on the course.

If you've put the work in and know the course to the standard you should, you'll do well. I honestly think it's a good thing that a full knowledge of the course is being valued as opposed to narrow sections of it. I don't know where people are getting the idea that having predicted and studied half the course, they're somehow entitled to an A1 and the SEC are depriving them of it by making use of the full syllabus when making the exams. If you know the material there's nothing the SEC can throw at you that you won't be able to answer, they have to abide by the syllabus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

finality wrote: »
    The way people are complaining about papers being unpredictable is kind of annoying me at this point. Exams should be unpredictable, they're supposed to be a genuine test of your knowledge of the course. If you only learn half the course because that's what you think will come up, in my opinion you don't really deserve a high grade because you haven't put the work in and ultimately don't have a good knowledge of the course. Honestly, a student who gets an A1 should know 90% of the material on the course.

If you've put the work in and know the course to the standard you should, you'll do well. I honestly think it's a good thing that a full knowledge of the course is being valued as opposed to narrow sections of it. I don't know where people are getting the idea that having predicted and studied half the course, they're somehow entitled to an A1 and the SEC are depriving them of it by making use of the full syllabus when making the exams. If you know the material there's nothing the SEC can throw at you that you won't be able to answer, they have to abide by the syllabus.

I agree to an extent and would have completely agreed with you until I did that Geography paper yesterday. The vast majority of 3/5 sections comprised of material not in published books, revision books, past papers etc. Half of the Elective question had not been taught to either Geography classes in my school and by the general consensus on boards, hardly any classes at all. When the Teachers don't teach the syllabus but teach 'the exam' it's extremely difficult for students to achieve the high grades and consequently leads to the whole debate re: the predictability of exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I just hated the way the Maths was laid out. I knew how to do 4 (c) but I couldn't get the right answer so 20 marks down the drain and no other part of (c) to make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I agree to an extent and would have completely agreed with you until I did that Geography paper yesterday. The vast majority of 3/5 sections comprised of material not in published books, revision books, past papers etc. Half of the Elective question had not been taught to either Geography classes in my school and by the general consensus on boards, hardly any classes at all. When the Teachers don't teach the syllabus but teach 'the exam' it's extremely difficult for students to achieve the high grades and consequently leads to the whole debate re: the predictability of exams.

Maybe geography was an exception, I have no idea as I didn't do geography. It's always unfair when teachers don't teach the course properly. Maybe this year's exams will teach them that they need to teach the course and not the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Or follow Togepi's lead, and take an innocent looking thread like...oh I dunno, a certain phys/chem one...and turn it into the new OT thread ;) :pac:

I was the innocent victim there, I couldn't just be rude and not reply! ;) Plus, I kept it on topic for a while. :P No one on Boards does Phys/Chem, 'be grand. :pac:

I just hated the way the Maths was laid out. I knew how to do 4 (c) but I couldn't get the right answer so 20 marks down the drain and no other part of (c) to make up for it.

You'll still get attempt marks for the question if you performed the first couple of steps correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

I neither trust nor rely on my teachers in school for precisely the said reason. Pick science maths and a language you're fluent at, work your butt off and you can't go wrong. Everything else is waffle and bullshet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement