Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AyeeBoyy

Thanks. It's really handy having a dad that can teach mathematical physics. Real help with the harder mathsy questions! :D
    you'll do great then! Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Apparently Latin is very easy!
    Though I wouldn't be too quick to jump to conclusions either, they say that about applied maths and that certainly isn't the easiest subject, especially for non-mathsy people.

If I remember correctly though, both have extremely high amounts of students obtaining A's

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

History and French tomorrow. Looking forward to another near-sleepless night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

That is quite annoying. Glad I dropped to ordinary french. Just sitting here chilling. I'll do some study in a little while...

Also May I ask why would you (for lack of a better phrase :P ) bother your hole doing Latin unless
    A) It was a requirement for a course
    B) You feel like being a holey man
    C) You think you're Stephan Fry
    D) You're a A Hipster
    ;)

E) I find it genuinely interesting - outside of the context of LC - and the course extends far beyond the pure study of the supposed 'dead language'. Though that is fascinating too.

Also the teacher is the best teacher in the school.

Sorry, I've spent so long being defensive about it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

double cheeseburger from McDonalds is calling me right now.. think i'll get a McFlurry too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

imelle wrote: »
    i have an obsession with looking at grad dresses. it's really gotta stop :P they're just too pretty though..

I'm the same and I have mine! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭shefellover93

double cheeseburger from McDonalds is calling me right now.. think i'll get a McFlurry too

Was dyin for a starbar halfway through Irish. Then when I came out I got the munchies and went for a Tesco meal deal instead:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

Superbus wrote: »
    E) I find it genuinely interesting - outside of the context of LC - and the course extends far beyond the pure study of the supposed 'dead language'. Though that is fascinating too.

I forgot to add that section.
    I wasn't trying to take the piss of ya mate. TBH it is a language I'd find interesting myself simply because of it's historical linkages and because so many other languages have parts derived from it. I admit, I'm a nerd ( In stuff generally not related to course work sadly, besides maybe the bit of physics maths and History, but I don't do history anymore)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

some people are finished tomorrow and i'm just here like yeah i've only done 2 subjects

Most of my friends are actually finished tomorrow, seeing as the vast majority of people in my year chose the combination of Geography, Home-Ec, Biology, French and History! The school is going to be eerily quiet, while myself on the other hand has another 9 days left of L.C. :( Wahh. Sick of it at this stage..

Wish I did geography, hom-ec and history. Easy points (I know history is supposed to be hard but I'm a history nerd)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

leaveiton wrote: »
    I'm the same and I have mine! :pac:

what's it like :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Superbus wrote: »

Latin is one of the subjects I want to do at some stage.
    You must find it very helpful for other languages.

I was just too young to do it at school, all the HL classes in my school used to do Latin until the year I came into first year. (Completely unconnected, I'm sure).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Wish I did geography, hom-ec and history. Easy points (I know history is supposed to be hard but I'm a history nerd)

Geography is not easy points. Course is massive. The paper this year was ridiculous and timing is crazy. :D

So why don't you do History?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

what's it like :D

It's not a very traditional debs type dress. It's knee length and red and it has straps that go into a kind of V neckline. It's hard to describe but it's really nice, still classy and formal looking even though it's not full length!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

^ This made me hungry, asked my Mam would she bring me to McDonalds. We live 25 minutes away (bogger lawlll). She told me to do one,

[IMG][/img]zvitK.jpg

Eathrin wrote: »
    So why don't you do History?

Preferred physics to geography at the time.

As to history - isn't available in my school for leaving cert even though there's a qualified teacher to teach it. "Not enough numbers"

Anyway, I can just research myself, and it'll only be in areas I like ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Apparently Latin is very easy!
    Though I wouldn't be too quick to jump to conclusions either, they say that about applied maths and that certainly isn't the easiest subject, especially for non-mathsy people.

If I remember correctly though, both have extremely high amounts of students obtaining A's

According to my teacher the mad amount of As in Applied Maths is because most people are doing it as an extra subject, so if they can't do it properly they just drop it.
    She also mentions far too many times that nobody from our school has ever gotten an A. Despite an almost 25% A rate. Thanks, that gives me so much faith in your ability to teach...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I just remembered tomorrow last year I would've been finished with the way the timetable was last year. And I did a few different subjects. I still have until next Wednesday this time around and one of the latest to finish. Nearly everybody I know is off on this Thursday.

Quick question! I heard someone talking about the CAO points hubbub today and they said that they're supposed to go down this year? Why would they go down and how much by do you think? Because my first choice is 400 points and I'm not feeling great about exams right now, so it could work in my favour?

• Advertisement

I just remembered tomorrow last year I would've been finished with the way the timetable was last year. And I did a few different subjects. I still have until next Wednesday this time around and one of the latest to finish. Nearly everybody I know is off on this Thursday.

Why didn't you just stick with, improve on your old subjects?
    Or if it was a boredom thing, just retake them?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

actually cant study any more, i've subconsciously accepted my position in life, and i feel like i cant do anyting about it..... a weird melancholy.....'' dulling and stilling in this glass capsule... colourless. colourless'' lol.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Why didn't you just stick with, improve on your old subjects?
    Or if it was a boredom thing, just retake them?

I'm doing all of the same from last year like maths , english except it's honours this time, geography and business. I did engineering but Idropped it as the place I'm in didn't do engineering and I failed it .The practical took up a lot of my time last year and I hated the day practical, I didn't have much preparation though and I didn't do metalwork for the jc. I usually like practical subjects.
    I ended up taking up economics instead this time around :). I didn't really want to take it on again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Easy points?!!!! I too was a history nerd once upon a time and you go in thinking the fact you find it interesting means the subject won't eventually crush you. But it does.

Yes I am studying history and feeling emotional right now

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

Stalin's showtrials OR Nazi propoganda will be up
    Eucharistic congress OR Sinn Fein's rise will be up
    Coleraine OR Sunnindale will be up. .

Of that I'm sure. .

She smiled at me on the subway, she was with another man. .

Ah no in all seriousness these are my prediction which I am f ucked right up the bum hole if they don't come up! :p

Stalin's showtrials OR Nazi propoganda will be up
    Eucharistic congress OR Sinn Fein's rise will be up
    Coleraine OR Sunnindale will be up. .

Of that I'm sure. .

She smiled at me on the subway, she was with another man. .

Ah no in all seriousness these are my prediction which I am f ucked right up the bum hole if they don't come up! :p

In the same situation. God help me if they aren't there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Namlub wrote: »
    Easy points?!!!! I too was a history nerd once upon a time and you go in thinking the fact you find it interesting means the subject won't eventually crush you. But it does.

Yes I am studying history and feeling emotional right now

It's such a cruel subject. You fall in love with it at Junior Cert level, defend it against all the haters, put your trust in it for the Leaving Cert, and then it just goes and breaks your heart, while simultaneously gate-crashing your date with French during the Leaving. </3

Having said that, good luck to everyone doing History tomorrow! :) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I have 3 exams left and I already feel like I'm finished :P My complacency knows no bounds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Togepi wrote: »
    It's such a cruel subject. You fall in love with it at Junior Cert level, defend it against all the haters, put your trust in it for the Leaving Cert, and then it just goes and breaks your heart, while simultaneously gate-crashing your date with French during the Leaving. </3

Having said that, good luck to everyone doing History tomorrow! :) :P

Crazy, that reminds me that I did history once. The idea of learning history or geography seems really weird to me now, all my subjects are either science or languages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Deleted my whole post about grey's anatomy there... can't spoiler on my phone..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement