Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Last minute French question if anyone's awake! In a formal letter, should it be "je vous envoyer..." or "je vous envoie..."? (Posting it here as well as in the French thread 'cause people will probably only see it there when it's too late.) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Togepi wrote: »
    Last minute French question if anyone's awake! In a formal letter, should it be "je vous envoyer..." or "je vous envoie..."? (Posting it here as well as in the French thread 'cause people will probably only see it there when it's too late.) :P

Je vous envoie! You wouldn't say je être or je avoir, so you don't say je envoyer either ;) bonne chance!

Je vous envoie! You wouldn't say je être or je avoir, so you don't say je envoyer either ;) bonne chance!

That's what I thought! Silly beginning-of-the-year me. :pac: Merci, et vous aussi! :)

Merci! :)

Guys, when you're talking about the olympics would you refer to them in the singular or the plural? Like would you say "ils soulignent l'importance du sport et du travail d'équipe" or "il souligne l'importance du sport et du travail d'équipe" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Merci! :)

Guys, when you're talking about the olympics would you refer to them in the singular or the plural? Like would you say "ils soulignent l'importance du sport et du travail d'équipe" or "il souligne l'importance du sport et du travail d'équipe" ?
    I think the Olympics is singular!

• Advertisement

I think the Olympics is singular!

well it's les jeux olympique so it's plural. like you'd say "les jeux olympiques soulignent l'importance de..." but I dunno whether you'd use "il(s) souligne(nt) l'importance de..." since you're referring directly to the olympics it's prob plural but ugh, i dunno!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Bonne chance en Francais! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Good luck in French everybody!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I'm finished my exams today, I was one of the "lucky" ones with all the exams condensed in one week.

Good luck to those with exams, and thank you all for putting up with my dopey questions :p

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Fluffycloud

What was the exam like hons level? What came up? Hope you guys did ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Best French exam eva.
    Definitely got my B3.
    And that's all I wanted:D Something which doesn't deviate too much from the rest of my exams.

Finished French went pretty grand although I couldn't remember what the word for "today" in French was I ended up writing "quand" and I didn't know what the word for "lake" was either.
    Fleur from Harry Potter came up in one of the French texts.
    I think there was a question asking what I thought about the French economy or something :S it went better than last year anyway.
    I reckon I got a C as long as it's not a D :).

I didn't know how to say my birthday is today. I just remembered I wrote "I am 18 when" I should've just written today in english.

What a beautiful exam, pretty confident of my a! :)

How early did you's finish your French exam?
    I was finished after an hour and 15mins .

Neither happy nor unhappy with French... If this was me last year I'd be delighted and would be positive I had gotten an A, but I've learned from last year's B2. :pac: Not ruling out an A (hopefully an A1!) but I'm not going to take it for granted that I got higher than a B1 either. I'll know in August. :cool:

Comprehensions were grand. Essays were grand. (Ran out of time on the diary entry though, but I still wrote about 170 words for it, at a glance anyway.) Aural was grand (apart from two or three dodgy questions).

"Be grand," they said. 'Twas grand.

:P

Question. When they say around 75 words, was it preferable to keep it to around 75?
    It's just that, my 80 words or so looks feeble compared to the 200 some people would write:L

Quelques naggins, il sera bon.

I keep listening to Bryan Adams lately I don't know why :L.
    Motivational song :).
    I should be cramming business .

Oh yeah, week two of the Leaving - complete!! :D

Two exams next week and I'm done forever! (Again...) :cool: :P

How early did you's finish your French exam?
    I was finished after an hour and 15mins .

I was still writing just as he said "30 seconds left" to me because the other ones left in the centre had left 2 minutes earlier. Signed off my diary then so I'd say I finished with about 10 seconds to spare. :P I was finished 20 minutes early last year, and I wrote loads then, dunno how I was so pushed for time this year, thought I'd have a while to read over it! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I don't know how people can finish exams early. I've been the last or second last to leave all of mine so far.

finality wrote: »
    I don't know how people can finish exams early. I've been the last or second last to leave all of mine so far.

Clearly you are inferior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Eathrin wrote: »
    Clearly you are inferior.

Clearly :P

Togepi wrote: »
    I was still writing just as he said "30 seconds left" to me because the other ones left in the centre had left 2 minutes earlier. Signed off my diary then so I'd say I finished with about 10 seconds to spare. :P I was finished 20 minutes early last year, and I wrote loads then, dunno how I was so pushed for time this year, thought I'd have a while to read over it! :o

How much did you write? I only did 3 production écrite questions, between 80 and 120 words about. Though you get so much time in French. My friend last year did all 8 possible questions with time to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Irish Paper 1 was ridiculous for timing. We were all just staring around the place after finishing about an hour into the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Irish Paper 1 was ridiculous for timing. We were all just staring around the place after finishing about an hour into the exam.

Eh.....

I took my time with Irish. For the first 25 mins I drew up a whole plan and gathered phrases. My friend left when I just started my debate! I was in there to the very end, double/triple/quadruple checking everything! I finished the essay with 10mins to go so I just rechecked for the last 10mins. I'm happy we've 2 hours. I don't see why people would complain!! :L

Eathrin wrote: »
    How much did you write? I only did 3 production écrite questions, between 80 and 120 words about. Though you get so much time in French. My friend last year did all 8 possible questions with time to spare.

I did three, I never do any more than that! Wrote 170ish for the diary, about 230 for Q3 (a) and I'd say 240 for Q1 (b). Those are just approximations though, I wrote an average of 232 words for them in the mocks, and I did almost the same amount this time. What did your friend get in French?! They can't have done well if they spent so little time on each essay. :eek:

I stayed in for the whole exam. Only person in the country to do so? Probably. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Not complaining :P I wrote out a prepared essay in about 40 minutes and added a few extra bits. I can see how it's useful if you're making it up on the day though as I would've done the same had my essay not came up but 2 hours is a bit extreme :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AyeeBoyy

I did 2 eassys just for funs and still left half an hour early, far too much time. Better than having too little but :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I totally forgot about the word limit in the French exam :o I just got carried away in the question!

In Q.1 (A) I filled every line and the same in Q.3 (A) :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement