Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Quick question for you lads, did you all have a teacher in the waiting room outside the oral or someone popping their head in to get rid of stressed people?

I kind of screwed up French, spent 40 minutes listening to a friend hyperventilating before I went in and then I got in and panicked, but I think I recovered after the first 3 minutes and the rest was more or less ok, not to my usual standard but I might still have managed a B1 or even an A2 if she took pity on me. Aggravates me so much because oral French is my absolute favorite thing, love speaking it and I'm really good at it but that person really threw me accidentally or otherwise. My A1 in French is probably unlikely now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Chuchoter wrote: »
    Quick question for you lads, did you all have a teacher in the waiting room outside the oral or someone popping their head in to get rid of stressed people?

I kind of screwed up French, spent 40 minutes listening to a friend hyperventilating before I went in and then I got in and panicked, but I think I recovered after the first 3 minutes and the rest was more or less ok, not to my usual standard but I might still have managed a B1 or even an A2 if she took pity on me. Aggravates me so much because oral French is my absolute favorite thing, love speaking it and I'm really good at it but that person really threw me accidentally or otherwise. My A1 in French is probably unlikely now :(

Nope, we didn't. But we didn't have a waiting room, we sat in the yearbase outside the room the oral was in :p

Same here, I didn't get to talk about everything I wanted to talk about so I'm 99.9% sure I didn't get an A1 in the oral, which I was counting on for an overall A1, have no chance now, and it's my favourite and best subject. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

We wait in like a corridor between two first year classrooms, which is in a different building to where the orals are on >_> And we don't have teachers there, no-one really tells you when to wait either so you just kind of have to wander over when you think you might be up soon...I ended waiting for an hour.

We had about 10 of us in a box room, all the languages in together and lots of crying people and others giving out people were too loud etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Oh wow I'm getting nervous about Irish now, I've been doing so much preparation for it and I actually feel like I could do well in it, I'll be so disappointed if I mess it up now.

• Advertisement

Just stay away from people. Very very far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Namlub wrote: »
    We wait in like a corridor between two first year classrooms, which is in a different building to where the orals are on >_> And we don't have teachers there, no-one really tells you went to wait either so you just kind of have to wander over when you think you might be up soon...I ended waiting for an hour.
    I had my oral at around half 12 on Monday, in the first class the examiner talked to us for a few mins and after that I just sat on a bench in the courtyard studying.
    We had about 10 of us in a box room, all the languages in together and lots of crying people and others giving out people were too loud etc.
    Seriously? A few people in my year ended up crying too, but they did it in the bathroom so as not to freak out those who had yet to go in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

finality wrote: »
    Oh wow I'm getting nervous about Irish now, I've been doing so much preparation for it and I actually feel like I could do well in it, I'll be so disappointed if I mess it up now.

Exactly how I feel :/

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

Am so so so diasspointed with the french oral...got an A in the mock oral but i dont think today's went as good as that one... I had sooo much learned off that was so good that she never asked, but I'm generally good at speaking french so I hope i done ok... My document kind of fecked me up too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

My school is so relaxed where discipline is concerned! My Oral was at 3.15 and I didn't go into one class that day! I stayed in the Language Lab for 6 hours studying for French :pac: . The principal came in and was like 'what are you doing here?' I just told her I was studying and she walked away! :p we did our Oral in the Office so we just sat outside there! Was great! Me and my Friend had a good laugh before we went in so we were super relaxed going in!

One of the girls started crying when she came out, a girl in my year told her to 'shut the fcuk up' and move along :L

• Advertisement

Language Lab? Fancehh

Language Lab? Fancehh
    Nah, not really. It's just a big room with laptops and headphones loaded with podcasts and stuff! It's fairly handy though. We have a French assistance this year in my school, so she was giving last minute prep in there with us! Paid off I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

It is fancy still, my school doesn't even have a P.E. hall, never mind a language lab :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Damn examiner didn't ask me about my family this year either! Or even moi même! Pretty sure I aced it though because I did better than I did last year, and I got between 84 and 100 that time. :) Just got two subjunctives in (I'd prepared almost 20) but got a couple of my numerous top notch phrases in, grâce à dieu. :D

Was anyone else's French Oral examiner slightly unfocused? Mine told us at the start she was sick, but she seemed ridiculously unfocused throughout my Oral. I used the subjunctive 4/5 times and she never took note of it, she never made any notes throughout the exam, at one stage she said in English 'i'm after forgetting my question and paused for about 20 seconds'. She asked me about Sport and the Olympics twice (once at the start and towards the end). She did this for a number of people also? At the end she asked me what a couple of words I had said meant époustouflant and trilogié (as in a trilogy of books like :rolleyes:). Also she kept me talking for over 16 minutes before she realised how long I had been talking for She didn't seem to want to talk about the documents at all either? I think I gave a very good performance, I answered everything fully to my potential and my accent and intonation were good and all, I sounded natural and was communicating well, I just hope she gave me a fair mark! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Delighted with how my Irish oral went today. Got a lovely picture sequence (Cúrsa Gaeilge sa Ghaeltacht) and got a chance to talk about everything I wanted to, plus I didn't get asked anything that I couldn't cope with. I'm honestly so happy, it's making me want to study for the written because I think I could potentially get a high grade in Irish now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

In economics is the methods of intervention the fiscal and monetary policy ?or the aims?

In economics is the methods of intervention the fiscal and monetary policy ?or the aims?
    The Government's methods of Intervention? That'd be like Fiscal and Monetary Policy methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

The Government's methods of Intervention? That'd be like Fiscal and Monetary Policy methinks!

Thanks wasn't sure I was just going through the papers for the things you need to know for each topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Wow I'm surprised at all the people saying they had others in their schools crying after and hyperventilating before the orals:eek:
    It's been so "meh" in my school nobody freaking out.

For the A1 hopefuls:) Coeur and Chuco etc.. I'm sure you did much better than you thought. After all it is only a 15 minute exam which is really not enough at all to show off your grasp of the language. That's something that annoys me hugely and would be one of the first things I'd change if I was in charge. Poor students can bullshít through 15 minutes and at the same time strong students can't show their fluency. Ridiculous if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

leaveiton wrote: »
    Delighted with how my Irish oral went today. Got a lovely picture sequence (Cúrsa Gaeilge sa Ghaeltacht) and got a chance to talk about everything I wanted to, plus I didn't get asked anything that I couldn't cope with. I'm honestly so happy, it's making me want to study for the written because I think I could potentially get a high grade in Irish now! :D

I got that picture sequence too! T'was class. A lot to talk about on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

If someone was crying in my school after it I'd give them a slap and tell them to cop onto themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Chavways wrote: »
    If someone was crying in my school after it I'd give them a slap and tell them to cop onto themselves.

Sure there was people crying in the middle of the tough maths paper 1 last year with the hard integration question in my school! A fella I knew said he actually laughed at them :L Some people get so caught up in these things like :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I got that picture sequence too! T'was class. A lot to talk about on it!

I know, it was great! :D Feel like I rushed through it a bit though, I was so conscious of not going over 4 minutes in total that I think I didn't spend enough time on it, but oh well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Joey. wrote: »
    Danke :) I know! In all the time we've been there, the world stopped for 6th years but they treat us like that...it's disgraceful :pac:
    Oh don't me started about how they are treating us this year .... sure most of our irish teachers didnt even come talk to us before our orals... :mad:
    and 5th years seem to be running the place :eek:
    1st years don't even fear us anymore... what's up with that ? :(
    Togepi wrote: »
    Limmerz!! :P

Hehe, yeah...

Me: 'Ok everyone, take out your Pokémon copies...'

Class: 'Oh not this again...'

:P

(I will teach them the names of all 150 Pokémon in French.) :D
    oooh Limerick :P may see you there if things don't work out :P
    Pokemon copies :pac: yeah you'd be an awesome teach :P
    For homework "watch episode ... etc" :P
    subz3r0 wrote: »
    It is fancy still, my school doesn't even have a P.E. hall, never mind a language lab :P
    there is a leak in my school where they put our oral examiner.... every time it rains, drops keep falling on her ... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

Ok, I've just realised I haven't paid for my LC! :o

Wtf do I do? :L

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Anyone know how to pronounce these? J'aie and il y ait and j'aille? We're not doing the subjunctive til after the orals now so yeah.

One teacher told me j'aie is 'j-eye' but French people on the Internet said its the same as j'ai; my teacher said j'aille is 'j-eye-uh' but that seems awkward to say without it sounding like j'aie? Ahh so confused :confused:

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Anyone know how to pronounce these? J'aie and il y ait and j'aille? We're not doing the subjunctive til after the orals now so yeah.

One teacher told me j'aie is 'j-eye' but French people on the Internet said its the same as j'ai; my teacher said j'aille is 'j-eye-uh' but that seems awkward to say without it sounding like j'aie? Ahh so confused :confused:
    J'aie is pronounced just like 'j'ai' :)

Anyone that has the pleasure of doing LCVP. Do you think it'd matter much that my Career Investigation is 46 words over the 600 word limit? The rest of my portfolio is under the limit but I don't think I can reduce the work count any more on the C.I :( worried

Need to get into French mode fast. trying to do notes now and it's like a foreign language to me

>_>

• Advertisement

Need to get into French mode fast. trying to do notes now and it's like a foreign language to me

>_>
    Same with Irish for me! :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement