Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Wanchor wrote: »
    Anyone planning on emigrating?

Might end up in Australlia or New Zealand if I really wanted to. Already have Australlian citizenship and once you have that it's really easy to get into NZ. :) I wouldn't bother untill I get my degree though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'd love to live and work in Australia for like a year or two after I get my degree :).

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Wanchor wrote: »
    Is it just by pure chance? I'm gonna chance my arm and apply for MIT next year as a transfer.

Can you start from that end? As in, if you get a college to accept you as a transfer, can you then use that acceptance to get a greencard? Or do you need a greencard before they'll take you as a transfer?

Caltech is my dream college :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Freewheelin_

Can you start from that end? As in, if you get a college to accept you as a transfer, can you then use that acceptance to get a greencard? Or do you need a greencard before they'll take you as a transfer?

Caltech is my dream college :(

1. You can get accepted, and get an immigrant visa - not the same as a green card and you'll have to get a job sharpish after getting your degree
    2. If Caltech is one of the colleges I'm thinking of, they have a low acceptance of international students. Is it a state school or am I thinking of other colleges? State schools in California are unlikely to accept internationals at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

1. You can get accepted, and get an immigrant visa - not the same as a green card and you'll have to get a job sharpish after getting your degree
    2. If Caltech is one of the colleges I'm thinking of, they have a low acceptance of international students. Is it a state school or am I thinking of other colleges? State schools in California are unlikely to accept internationals at the moment.

I know basically nothing about how to actually get in, I just know I'd absolutely die of happiness if I could go. I shall investigate though! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Freewheelin_

I know basically nothing about how to actually get in, I just know I'd absolutely die of happiness if I could go. I shall investigate though! :)

You'll need to sit the SATs. Their average scores are pretty high 2100+/2400

I got 1800ish in my first attempt (before studying at all) so you'll probably have a good baseline. If you're aiming anywhere near 600 you should be grand. You'll probably need to do some subject tests. They're fairly easy. I got 640 last year in Maths level 2 and I'm hoping for a B1 in the leaving. If you're serious (which you really do have to be to go through this painful process) then go to www.commonapp.org

You'll have to write some essays, no bother. Then there'll be a bunch of stuff you'll have to do because you're from Ireland. It's strenuous stuff but it's nothing too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

what's everyone planning on doing for the summer? :)

i have NO plans. fml. :L probably gonna sleep my way through it. :L ahh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

smithy77 wrote: »
    The world can be a cruel place.. Just found out my nan died the night before my business exam:(

Oh God, RIP.
    I actually don't know what to say.. Do your best in that exam obviously, but you know that anyway.
    If you wanna talk you can PM me or any of us I'm sure. Stay strong, if thats possible at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Sorry to hear that smithy, that's a horrible situation to be in! It'll probably be the last thig on your mind by do your best in business anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Hopefully going to move abroad after my degree. Not sure where exactly, could go anywhere! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Stays up all night to study----Ends up watching 6 episodes of favourite tv show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 The Black Marauder

Eathrin wrote: »
    Stays up all night to study----Ends up watching 6 episodes of favourite tv show.

It's the thought that counts..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

What's the show? I have nothing better to do with my summer than endless amounts of TV...

What's the show? I have nothing better to do with my summer than endless amounts of TV...

How I met your mother. I love how it just keeps going on:D
    You need to watch Chuck also if you haven't seen it.
    I need to watch Game of Thrones soon, I still am yet to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

How I met your mother. I love how it just keeps going on:D
    You need to watch Chuck also if you haven't seen it.
    I need to watch Game of Thrones soon, I still am yet to start.

Ooh I watch that :D I'm only on season 1, I watched some of it during the year but only have the time to take it up again now!

Game of Thrones is AMAZING. I watched the series during my Christmas exams (smart move! :P), then read the book a few weeks ago when I was on holidays, now I'm rewatching the first series (right in the middle of ep 7 at the minute!) before starting the 2nd one...I don't even want to start watching the 2nd series cos I know I'll fly through it and then there's so long to wait until the next one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Cill94 wrote: »
    You are going to crash HARD. And all the teachers in my school are telling us it's more worthwhile to just stop studying at 9/10 so that you can be fully rested and fresh for the exam.

You're right, I am - but that's okay. After half 12 today I have 5 days off to study for Chemistry, which means I might go to sleep after the exam, sleep until like 8, get up for 2 or 3 hours and go back to sleep. I can completely afford to crash since I have 5 days off!

Anyway, I overslept this morning, meant to get up at 2, got up at half 3. This is why I don't trust alarm clocks. :/

Can't stop procrastinating. Since I got up almost two hours ago I've smoked 4 rollies, had a shower, masturbated, eaten everything and read over two business chapters that I already know. The exam is in 4 hours and I have 11 chapters to learn. :(

Still can't stop procrastinating, wtf :(

I tried to wake up at 6am to study and set my alarm for 5.45am I just ended up pressing snooze for an hour .:rolleyes:. I'll try from 7am instead.

Just did an experiment and concluded that coke isn't that soluble in water. Pity I'm not doing chemistry later.

So ****ed for today hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

starting to feel ok ish about business, just hope i get the paper done. my teacher is like you only ever do 3/4s of a good paper because you're either too lazy to finish or run out of time..

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Just did an experiment and concluded that coke isn't that soluble in water. Pity I'm not doing chemistry later.

Fairly sure gettin stoned and doing some lines before business isn't the best way to approach it :P

Hahahaha I wish it was! Perhaps some LSD, then I can just copy off the unicorn sitting beside me!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

3 tests and 7 days to go, nearly all my friends are done :(. No motivation right now, I just wana be doneeeeeeeeeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

The drink or the drug? :P

Business went pretty well. I just managed to finish on time. Timing was going perfectly until Q6 I checked the time it was 12pm. I was only on part B I had to rush extremely fast to finish as I had to do Q7 just managed to finish :).
    Now only 1 exam left it feels great.
    Hopefully a B1.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

might scrape a B1 in business, raging was aiming for an A but 2 of my long questions i had to answer in the space of 15 minutes so you can imagine how good those answers are :/ only 2 subjects left now!

Fúckity fúck! Last night was such an absolute fail:(
    All I did was watch tv then fall asleep at 3am when I climbed into bed with my business book on top of me. So I got nothing studied and I couldn't concentrate this morning I was so wrecked.
    Fúck that exam was terrible. I actually can't believe it. I regret everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

My sleeping patterns so messed up!!! Woke up at 7am :( No you don't need to get up and study for another week :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

This is my 500th post and what an occasion to mark it. Pretty much finished the LC, just one exam left. Business went great (I think), Ireland match tonight.....the future is looking up. Happier then I've been in ages. :D:D:D:):):):D:D:D:):):):D:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement