Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Hayezer wrote: »
    It's given me all your Pokemon and stuff :O? Don't wana mess yours up :pac: :P

Create a new account and start again lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Guys, I'm the biggest bogger here :P I have been known to occasionally drop in a few 'He be's', and 'I do be' and stuff like that into my sentences, and I have that Donegal knack of saying 'y'know' before everything and 'like' after pretty much everything as well. :pac:

What's a bogger? is it just a country person? :S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Guys, I'm the biggest bogger here :P I have been known to occasionally drop in a few 'He be's', and 'I do be' and stuff like that into my sentences, and I have that Donegal knack of saying 'y'know' before everything and 'like' after pretty much everything as well. :pac:

Oh god my mam says "he bes". :pac: I only say "I do be" if I'm taking the piss. :P That and "I seen him". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

I went to the gaeltacht down around there and that was basically every second word. How does something like that even develop?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Togepi wrote: »

Oh god my mam says "he bes". :pac: I only say "I do be" if I'm taking the piss. :P That and "I seen him". :D

I say those often! What I found hilarious was when my grandmother told me about someone she knew and "he got death"! I was, shure now, that's a swell phrase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

ChemHickey wrote: »
    I say those often! What I found hilarious was when my grandmother told me about someone she knew and "he got death"! I was, shure now, that's a swell phrase.

Jaysus, was she literally translating from Irish or what?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

He bes? Sorry that's too hardcore for me, I'm out.

leaveiton wrote: »

That's where most of it comes from. :D Bíonn sé = he does be. :D

I actually find that really cool, not the death of course but the literal translation from Irish way in which it is said. Shure isn't that part of our identity? Even when some don't have Irish, they still have the roots implanted in their English.

• Advertisement

Wanchor wrote: »
    I went to the gaeltacht down around there and that was basically every second word. How does something like that even develop?

Which one do you mean? :P I don't know how either would develop, to be honest. It's just a part of the accent haha.

Haha, I was mortified when I said 'I do be' in front of a few Dublin lads I met a while back. :P They nearly burst themselves laughing. It was only my 2nd time in Dublin, so I felt a bit out of my depth :pac: Another word which is basically compulsory in every sentence around here is 'lad'. eg: What's goin' lad? Lad, what's the craic? Pretty gay really. :L I've been told I have a pretty nice accent apart from the odd bogger focal though! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

That's where most of it comes from. :D Bíonn sé = he does be. :D

Ah fair enough, I don't understand ye culchies! :P To be fair though I say "I do be" and the other forms of it a lot myself :P

leaveiton wrote: »

I'm not sure! I was a bit shocked too! It's a hilarious phrase. I think it must be us westies (North-westies lawds) that have the * cool * phrases.

Haha, I was mortified when I said 'I do be' in front of a few Dublin lads I met a while back. :P They nearly burst themselves laughing. It was only my 2nd time in Dublin, so I felt a bit out of my depth pacman.gif Another word which is basically compulsory in every sentence around here is 'lad'. eg: What's goin' lad? Lad, what's the craic? Pretty gay really. :L I've been told I have a pretty nice accent apart from the odd bogger focal though! :P

Oh god. :P Loads of people say "lad" here, but it's more like they're getting it from the English lads 'cause they sound more English than Irish when they say "yes lad!" :P
    Eathrin wrote: »
    Shure

:pac:

My favourite culchie phrase I ever heard was "to go for a space" as in to go for a walk or a ramble. Most people have never heard of it though, it was probably very local to the lad who said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I find culchies' way of saying "well" for hello so weird. My friend's boyfriend is from Waterford and once texted me saying "well patrick are you with jenny?" and it sounded so...WELL??? ARE YOU?!!? :pac:

Oh god. :P Loads of people say "lad" here, but it's more like they're getting it from the English lads 'cause they sound more English than Irish when they say "yes lad!" :P

Naw, the way we say it is definitely worse. :P Another thing that's really common around here as a greeting is 'Yes boy!', where 'Yes' is pronounced 'Yay-iss' and 'boy!' is pronounced somewhat similarly to 'Bow-ie'. :pac: And Gaelic too ofc, there's a lot of convos around here that just flip between Irish and English nonstop haha. I love it. Speaking in Irish one minute then drop into English for a sec, then back to Irish :P

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

haha a good phrase i ALWAYS hear me auntie say is "oh merciful hour" in her pure bogger accent! :pac: actually love it :L

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I find culchies' way of saying "well" for hello so weird. My friend's boyfriend is from Waterford and once texted me saying "well patrick are you with jenny?" and it sounded so...WELL??? ARE YOU?!!? :pac:

It's so awkward when you walk past someone and they say "how'ya". :P What do you say back? "Oh I'm fine, how are you?" or "hello"?? :confused: I usually just say "well" 'cause it can be both an answer and a question. ;):D
    Naw, the way we say it is definitely worse. :P Another thing that's really common around here as a greeting is 'Yes boy!', where 'Yes' is pronounced 'Yay-iss' and 'boy!' is pronounced somewhat similarly to 'Bow-ie'. :pac: And Gaelic too ofc, there's a lot of convos around here that just flip between Irish and English nonstop haha. I love it. Speaking in Irish one minute then drop into English for a sec, then back to Irish :P

Ha that sounds daft! :pac: Aw I'd love to live somewhere where people switch from Irish to English all the time, I often do that in my mind, except sometimes there's French too. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Bubbleope wrote: »
    haha a good phrase i ALWAYS hear me auntie say is "oh merciful hour" in her pure bogger accent! :pac: actually love it :L

Hahaha one that a lot of my relatives say that I love is "with the help of god and a brown loaf" :L :L :L

• Advertisement

Where I'm from the a lot of 'Bohh' going around and 'goodluck' (meaning goodbye). Also the pronunciation of ewes (oyyys) and many, many more.

And every sentence starts with Shure, and if you don't pronounce the h in words beginning with an s (sure, sly, slick) you're not a true westerner.

I love when people say "'magine" instead of "imagine". :D Especially when they gasp first in a pure Irish mammy way and then say "'magine". :P

What is bohh? As in cow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

By the way, are the words beour, tome, feen etc used all over the country or just in Galway? Nothing better than hearing a skanger going "I SHIFTED AN ABSOLUTE BYOOOOOOOOOOOORE IN CPS AT THE WEEKEND" :P

Ha that sounds daft! :pac: Aw I'd love to live somewhere where people switch from Irish to English all the time, I often do that in my mind, except sometimes there's French too. :P

I always switch from a English to Irish accent. If you heard me speaking you'd really notice it. It happens all the time. An saying "three" I usually say it just a "three" and then other times I'd say "tree" or even the word car or park.
    I'd say it like "Cahr" "Pahrk" hard to explain.

Where I'm from the a lot of 'Bohh' going around and 'goodluck' (meaning goodbye). Also the pronunciation of ewes (oyyys) and many, many more.

We always say "g'luck" instead of bye where I live, and ewes are "yoes". :pac:

@Mysteriouschic my friend does that all the time, he sounds English, and then when he says things like "half", "park", "art", etc, he just has a pure Irish bogger accent. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Im such a bogger the culchies make fun of me.............

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cosmic.Postman

I love when people say "'magine" instead of "imagine". :D Especially when they gasp first in a pure Irish mammy way and then say "'magine". :P

Oh my god, you just made me realise I say that all the time....MY LIFE IS A LIE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

It's so awkward when you walk past someone and they say "how'ya". :P What do you say back? "Oh I'm fine, how are you?" or "hello"?? :confused: I usually just say "well" 'cause it can be both an answer and a question. ;):D
    OH MY GOD MY LIFE. This is the bane of my existence! :L I see people and I'm like hey and they're like hey how are you! and I'm like do I ignore you...or...do I say good and then ignore you...or do I *gasp* engage in conversation?! Its so awkward :'D
    By the way, are the words beour, tome, feen etc used all over the country or just in Galway? Nothing better than hearing a skanger going "I SHIFTED AN ABSOLUTE BYOOOOOOOOOOOORE IN CPS AT THE WEEKEND" :P
    We say beour ironically :P

• Advertisement

Does anyone elses grandparents call you chicken?
    I find it really funny. "You alright chicken?"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement