Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Does anyone else count 'one, two, tree'? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Togepi wrote: »
    Ha that sounds daft! :pac: Aw I'd love to live somewhere where people switch from Irish to English all the time, I often do that in my mind, except sometimes there's French too. :P

You really wouldn't :P This place is pretty dull (apart from the bilingual convos) :pac: Same as that! It was such a balls though, when I was in my Irish oral I found myself getting the French word for what I was thinking of before the Irish word. :P And I'm a fleunt Irish speaker haha. I guess they use the same part of the brain or something, being languages... I do love French though, gona do a 2-year diploma in it along with my degree course down in NUIG :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Eathrin wrote: »
    What is bohh? As in cow?

Haha no! When you meet someone you go
    "Well bohhhh!" and then, if you do something rebellious or wrong or anything it's "oh sucha bohhh"

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

has anyone every heard someone say this: "it's not that now but this" :L my dad says it almost once a week. :L and i say it too as a result.. :L aah :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

By the way, are the words beour, tome, feen etc used all over the country or just in Galway? Nothing better than hearing a skanger going "I SHIFTED AN ABSOLUTE BYOOOOOOOOOOOORE IN CPS AT THE WEEKEND" :P

Beour yes. Never heard of the other two!

• Advertisement

I always switch from a English to Irish accent. If you heard me speaking you'd really notice it. It happens all the time. An saying "three" I usually say it just a "three" and then other times I'd say "tree" or even the word car or park.
    I'd say it like "Cahr" "Pahrk" hard to explain.

Haha, that's strange! I hate the way I say the word 'no', I butcher it. I say it like 'no-hhhh' :pac: I wanna make it sound more like 'know', 'noh' is pure culchie like*!

*yes, I know. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

My mom is a native Irish speaker so English is her second language, and it's so funny listening to her speak sometimes :p she always puts the stress on weird parts of words.

She says certiFICate instead of cerTIficate, calINdar instead of CALendar, regESter instead of REGister etc :p
    Also the way she says French is hilarious, it rhymes it 'brunch' as in the ice cream, but she sort of rolls the r :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

We always say "Hawaii?" instead of "how'ya" or "how are ye?" too. :D
    Beour yes. Never heard of the other two!

Same!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

ChemHickey wrote: »
    "Well bohhhh!" and then, if you do something rebellious or wrong or anything it's "oh sucha bohhh"

I might start saying that, but with my own tilt on it.
    Story bó.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cosmic.Postman

Well lads... I just really wanted to let you all know I'm eating some coco pops right now. Mmmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Togepi wrote: »
    We always say "g'luck" instead of bye where I live, and ewes are "yoes". :pac:

@Mysteriouschic my friend does that all the time, he sounds English, and then when he says things like "half", "park", "art", etc, he just has a pure Irish bogger accent. :D

Haha I sound kind of eastenders but not as cockney I could easily put on the accent. My friend always gets me to say "Thats shocking" . She finds it hilarious the way I say it. And I say "mum" instead of "mam" .

Hahaha that's what we say when we're making fun of people from Cork :p story bahh? :p
    And when we're making fun of Dublin peeps we copy our year head. ROIH!!! YA BLAYDIN TWIH!!!!

I might start saying that, but with my own tilt on it.
    Story bó.
    :pac:

We say that, but we don't spell it like that. you have to say it every sentence or it loses its meaning! =L

The phrase "Mother Mange" seems to be doing the rounds lately, or should I say "Mudder maaange".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

My mom is a native Irish speaker so English is her second language, and it's so funny listening to her speak sometimes :p she always puts the stress on weird parts of words.

She says certiFICate instead of cerTIficate, calINdar instead of CALendar, regESter instead of REGister etc :p
    Also the way she says French is hilarious, it rhymes it 'brunch' as in the ice cream, but she sort of rolls the r :p
    Thats mad :pac: I always thought native Irish speakers would just have both equally...crazy to imagine someone would speak Irish more fluently than English!

The phrase "Mother Mange" seems to be doing the rounds lately, or should I say "Mudder maaange".

And I can't say the word ride.... It has to be ROIDE...

Hahaha that's what we say when we're making fun of people from Cork :p story bahh? :p
    And when we're making fun of Dublin peeps we copy our year head. ROIH!!! YA BLAYDIN TWIH!!!!

Haha I thought of another one we connaught bohhs say loads...

Arah now...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

524253_373327166044288_181454875231519_1029671_274353448_n.jpg

:D

Lads, ye should all have a look at this page, it's an absolute gem! My friend and I found it like a year ago and would literally spend hours on the phone reading them out to each other, it's so hilarious because it's all so true of us westerners :L I haven't looked at it in a few months so the new ones might be **** but the older ones are priceless!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/108317527124/

Patchy~ wrote: »
    524253_373327166044288_181454875231519_1029671_274353448_n.jpg

:D

Where'd you find my profile pic? :O

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Hahaha I always laugh at the "rooiiiiide Sally, rooiiiiide" bit in "Da Commih-ments". :D

That's it! A good mocking of those Dublin accents! Don't you just hate it when people write it as riode? Eugh....nearly as bad as fingernails on a chalkboard.

...Where do you live? :P
    Reminded me of this song haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

What the hell does that mean? Is it like... boy? :L

I think I speak properly for the most part, though I do have a slight "cark" accent sometimes and I think I emphasize the letter r a lot.

That's it! A good mocking of those Dublin accents! Don't you just hate it when people write it as riode? Eugh....nearly as bad as fingernails on a chalkboard.

Its not "riode" or even "roide" its ROIDE

finality wrote: »
    What the hell does that mean? Is it like... boy? :L

I think I speak properly for the most part, though I do have a slight "cark" accent sometimes and I think I emphasize the letter r a lot.

Oh jesus, when people say "Cark" I have to imitate them... it's hilarious (apologies!)

It is a general phrase... kinda like boi, but more stretched out... bohhhhhhhhhhhhh

Haha, that's strange! I hate the way I say the word 'no', I butcher it. I say it like 'no-hhhh' :pac: I wanna make it sound more like 'know', 'noh' is pure culchie like*!

*yes, I know. :P

I have general london accent . It'd sort of be like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA9Ivmar2XI with a irish hint added at times.

I can't say the word ride I say it like "Wryide" I can't say it like "Roide" I find it really hard or it comes out sounding weird when I say it like put on lol.

...Where do you live? :P
    Reminded me of this song haha

Ahahahahahahaha.....Oh dear god, that's fúcking hilarious!!

I'm from sligo by the way.

Could you imagine if we had the boards meet? all the different accents haha from everywhere :).

• Advertisement

Something else that my mom says, if she sees someone dressed oddly, not necessarily stylishly she'll say "Jaysus, wouldja look at the shtyle on that one!" :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement