Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

I have general london accent . It'd sort of be like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA9Ivmar2XI with a irish hint added at times.

I can't say the word ride I say it like "Wryide" I can't say it like "Roide" I find it really hard or it comes out sounding weird when I say it like put on lol.

I've never met anyone from Tallaght, but just from watching Tallafornia, the wryide would be the way I'd associate saying that word to them...

"I'd wryide ya"

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

Something else that my mom says, if she sees someone dressed oddly, not necessarily stylishly she'll say "Jaysus, wouldja look at the shtyle on that one!" :p

hahaha i hear that a lot. or "jaysus wouldja look at the shtate'a yerwan!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Oh jesus, when people say "Cark" I have to imitate them... it's hilarious (apologies!)

It is a general phrase... kinda like boi, but more stretched out... bohhhhhhhhhhhhh

I don't think I'm that bad for it, most of my family have a really thick cork accent though and I find myself speaking like them when I'm around them. :L

Oh ok, I think it should be spelt "bahhhh" though, like "shtory bahhhh" :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I've been living in Finglas for my whole life, and I cannot for the life of me do the accent. :o

My personal favourite Finglas phrases would have to be:

"nah-hern-ah bean dune" I'm after have being doing.

"do be doing"

"i swear on me ma's grave it's legit, straight of de back of de truck!"

finality wrote: »
    I don't think I'm that bad for it, most of my family have a really thick cork accent though and I find myself speaking like them when I'm around them. :L

Haha oh no... where I'm from its definetly Bohhhh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cosmic.Postman

Not for us in the west, son! That's another thing...people say "well son" a lot. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I've never met anyone from Tallaght, but just from watching Tallafornia, the wryide would be the way I'd associate saying that word to them...

"I'd wryide ya"

I say it in a London accent.. I have a very mixed accent , I probably confuse people all the time.

I've been living in Finglas for my whole life, and I cannot for the life of me do the accent. :o

My personal favourite Finglas phrases would have to be:

"nah-hern-ah bean dune" I'm after have being doing.

"do be doing"

"i swear on me ma's grave it's legit, straight of de back of de truck!"

lmao the last one reminds me of "s/he looks like the back of a bus" XD meaning s/he's ugly.. :L i only hear that whenever gale on coronation street is on the tv though... :pac:

Not for us in the west, son! That's another thing...people say "well son" a lot. :p

Another sligo man! He can vouch for all the phrases I've been throwing at ye!

Something else that my mom says, if she sees someone dressed oddly, not necessarily stylishly she'll say "Jaysus, wouldja look at the shtyle on that one!" :p

My friends mum talks like that haha :) it's funny.

• Advertisement

"i'll brain ya!" :L :L have ya ever heard that!? my mother always says that!! :pac:

Watch this, the guy on the right has the most hilariously thick cork accent I've ever heard.

Another sligo man! He can vouch for all the phrases I've been throwing at ye!

Darn tootin'! This man tells no word of a lie! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

I have general london accent . It'd sort of be like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA9Ivmar2XI with a irish hint added at times.

I can't say the word ride I say it like "Wryide" I can't say it like "Roide" I find it really hard or it comes out sounding weird when I say it like put on lol.

Yeah, just compare yourself to someone with one of the nicest accents ever why doncha. :P It's a cool accent :) I've a pretty neutral overall accent, it's like half Derry, half rural Donegal, but I don't talk like Letterkenn-ay or like the Highland radio people or anything :pac: I lived in Galway til I was like 8 so that kinda helped keep my accent pretty weak. I'm pretty proud of it actually :')

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Common phrase around here for a similar situation is "look at the cut of her!" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Watch this, the guy on the right has the most hilariously thick cork accent I've ever heard.

Sounds pretty ordinary to me :P

Leonardo Dicaprio does a mean Cork accent haha

Togepi wrote: »
    Common phrase around here for a similar situation is "look at the cut of her!" :P

Does anyone else's mum tell them

" Ta throw a shape there..."

My mum always says it!:L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Togepi wrote: »

That's very common here too! Also if something is really bad we'll say "jaysus, isn't it just caaaaat!" basically the word cat with a really drawn out 'a' and the stereotypical swishy irish 't'! :p What county are you from btw?

'ya can bate the wife and ya can bate the cows, but ya can't bate the stretch in the evenins!'

I can barely understand him apart from when he's giving his speech. :pac:

• Advertisement

Leonardo Dicaprio does a mean Cork accent haha

haaaah you serious? :L Oh god I dunno what he'd make of that.

Yeah, just compare yourself to someone with one of the nicest accents ever why doncha. :P It's a cool accent :) I've a pretty neutral overall accent, it's like half Derry, half rural Donegal, but I don't talk like Letterkenn-ay or like the Highland radio people or anything :pac: I lived in Galway til I was like 8 so that kinda helped keep my accent pretty weak. I'm pretty proud of it actually :')

Haha it's not exactly like that or it's pretty close to that. I'm really half english irish mix accent. It won't change , the irish accent is slightly getting stronger.
    I can put on a lot of english accents easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rosualt

"nah-hern-ah bean dune"

I have never come across this! Could you use it in a sentence? :P

That's very common here too! Also if something is really bad we'll say "jaysus, isn't it just caaaaat!" basically the word cat with a really drawn out 'a' and the stereotypical swishy irish 't'!

Ah 'tis caaash alrish! :P Same as, or "you did now no more that the cat!" (as in "you did" in a sarcastic manner). :D
    :P What county are you from btw?

I'm not going to say on here to remain slightly "anonymous". ;) (Even though I basically say everything else on here. :P)
    Does anyone else's mum tell them

" Ta throw a shape there..."

My mum always says it!:L

I've heard people say "you'd want to shape up" as in get your act together, or "jaysus he's throwin' some shapes!" where "shapes" refers to moves on a dance floor. :pac:

haaaah you serious? :L Oh god I dunno what he'd make of that.

Leonardo or the Cark boy? :P He actually really reminded me of this guy at certain moments lol

Leonardo or the Cark boy? :P He actually really reminded me of this guy at certain moments lol

The Cark boy, I dunno what Leonardo would make of anything. :L I'd say the Leonardo comparison would probably be a little more flattering than that video though haha

He actually really reminded me of this guy at certain moments lol

I love his Hector impression. :D

I like the Sligo accent. I've heard it from some of my family over in Sligo it sounds alight.
    I always notice how when saying "I know" they'd say it like "I knoow" lol.

I like the Sligo accent. I've heard it from some of my family over in Sligo it sounds alight.
    I always notice how when saying "I know" they'd say it like "I knoow" lol.

....We do? This day is just full of shocking revelations. :eek:

• Advertisement

....We do? This day is just full of shocking revelations. :eek:

Haha it's a nice accent :).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement