Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Eathrin wrote: »

Yeah in TCD you would need upwards of 500 for most arts degrees, whereas in UCD it's more like 350. Points don't usually bother me and this will probably sound a small bit obnoxious, but that is just too low! Even if it was over 400 I wouldn't think twice about it.

Aw you don't , Which course do you prefer from TCD or UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Aw you don't , Which course do you prefer from TCD or UCD?

Honestly I'd prefer TCD, but I can only do Maths and Irish in UCD. If I were to go to TCD I'd have to pick Maths and something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Oh no I can't do Maths and German together in UCD :( </3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I've got it, Arts. Maths and Irish are my two favourite subjects in school so why not just continue with what I love. Of course Maths alone would be monotonous and dreary but if I study a language alongside I won't get bored. UCD allows that combination I think, sorry Trinity, tough luck.
    Fellow UCD arts buddy! :P
    I would like small classes, not tiny, somewhere around 40 would be good, but 100 would just be way too crowded.

I would do Maths and Irish as my first two, then I think you can do up to 5 in first year? Maybe English, Economics and French.

It is a nice language tbh, I might do it as an additional subject in first year, then might go and study in France on the study abroad year!

Yeah in TCD you would need upwards of 500 for most arts degrees, whereas in UCD it's more like 350. Points don't usually bother me and this will probably sound a small bit obnoxious, but that is just too low! Even if it was over 400 I wouldn't think twice about it.
    I was the same. But my arts course is languages more specifically so its 410 for me, which I can live with, its not too much lower than what I'm expecting and I'm loving the lack of pressure :o

Slowly realizing more stupid mistakes I made in French, how did I think privés was private, its clearly a verb turned adjective ugh :( I'd never have made these mistakes normally, I'm disgusted with myself and I'll be so upset if I don't get the A1, it's my best subject by a mile and blehhhhhhh :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I would like small classes, not tiny, somewhere around 40 would be good, but 100 would just be way too crowded.

I would do Maths and Irish as my first two, then I think you can do up to 5 in first year? Maybe English, Economics and French.

Yeah forty's pretty much ideal. I thought it was four, it is in most places, but I might be wrong!

It's like 340 in NUIG! :P There's about 1,000 places though I think. Then it's about 440 in UL, so some people would think it must be a "better" course in UL, but the subject choice is crap in UL and it's brilliant in NUIG!

I get the points thing, I bet if it was over 400 or 500 points to do Arts, I'd go for it, but because it's not, I'm always subconsciously thinking it can't be a really good course. Which is silly 'cause the points have pretty much nothing to do with how good it is!

Edit: Oh god you can't go to UCD, Patchy will be there - the horror!! :P :pac:

• Advertisement

Sher you'll have it figured by the time it comes around :)

I'll probably decide on the day of the results. Last year I really wanted to move. I'm not sure the course seems better over there they don't really have the course I like over here. It's extremely hard to find a IT business or BIS course. Only the level 7s then dcu , nci have the course. All of the courses have different modules. One of my friends told me I'd be better off that it's look good on the cv or whatever. And there's a year working rather than just 6/7 months in the level 8s. I only want my firm choice in England though not sure about the insurance I only picked it because it seemed like a good course. I didn't visit it either.

Question for you repeater people, I finished the LC three days again now and I'm already dying for my results. Like I really, really just want to know what I got and cant wait 8 weeks :L

DOES IT GET EASIER (hint: please say yes).

Honestly I'd prefer TCD, but I can only do Maths and Irish in UCD. If I were to go to TCD I'd have to pick Maths and something else.

Aw you should pick tcd if you prefer that course. Is there any other subject you'd study if you couldn't do irish?

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Question for you repeater people, I finished the LC three days again now and I'm already dying for my results. Like I really, really just want to know what I got and cant wait 8 weeks :L

Yep :)

Nope it gets worse your whole summer will be spent wondering. It'll go so slow even on the day of the results to the minute you open the envelope.

Fellow UCD arts buddy! :P

I was the same. But my arts course is languages more specifically so its 410 for me, which I can live with, its not too much lower than what I'm expecting and I'm loving the lack of pressure :o

Slowly realizing more stupid mistakes I made in French, how did I think privés was private, its clearly a verb turned adjective ugh :( I'd never have made these mistakes normally, I'm disgusted with myself and I'll be so upset if I don't get the A1, it's my best subject by a mile and blehhhhhhh :(

How do you know what it is specifically, I can't find points for any specific UCD joint honours degree courses. Just the general one.
    And yes, you will get an A1, so many people probably got that wrong they will change the marking scheme completely for those 5 whole marks.

• Advertisement

Togepi wrote: »
    Yeah forty's pretty much ideal. I thought it was four, it is in most places, but I might be wrong!

It's like 340 in NUIG! :P There's about 1,000 places though I think. Then it's about 440 in UL, so some people would think it must be a "better" course in UL, but the subject choice is crap in UL and it's brilliant in NUIG!

I get the points thing, I bet if it was over 400 or 500 points to do Arts, I'd go for it, but because it's not, I'm always subconsciously thinking it can't be a really good course. Which is silly 'cause the points have pretty much nothing to do with how good it is!

Edit: Oh god you can't go to UCD, Patchy will be there - the horror!! :P :pac:

I think there's over 1000 places in UCD. If you're not doing arts, what are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

What's everyone's 2nd choice ?

1. Civil Law, Business & Economics (BCL)
    2. Civil Law & Business (BBL)
    3. Psychology
    4. Commerce & French

Really want #1 though <3

How do you know what it is specifically, I can't find points for any specific UCD joint honours degree courses. Just the general one.
    And yes, you will get an A1, so many people probably got that wrong they will change the marking scheme completely for those 5 whole marks.
    Oh yeah it's just 355 in general but my course is International Languages ;) Pretty sure I'm just a regular arts student but I'm guaranteed the year abroad. I could get arts and work for it but...nah. :P

Everyone seems to have gotten that wrong yeah! Here's hoping because the aural wasnt too nice either. I'd never live down an A2, or worse...a B :pac:

Hahaha, well for me last year I had the fortune of realising 30 days before the results, that it was 30 days 'til the results came out! So basically the first thing I thought of every morning from then on was the results. :pac: I don't remember any results dreams, but like, you never know. :P

Ah it does get easier though, just take your mind off it as much as you can and you'll be grand! And don't start counting down the days. Ever. :eek: :P

Everyone makes silly mistakes lol. I've made so many from English to Business. Like when I wrote anesthetic and European general meeting for EGM.
    It's the pressure :). It happens to everyone don't dwell on the mistakes :).
    Just think positive and see what happens :).

I think there's over 1000 places in UCD. If you're not doing arts, what are you doing?

That'd explain the lower points then. :) I still don't know. :( Trying to decide between Applied Languages and Product Design. The latter was number 1 all year, but now I'm leaning towards languages. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Come to TCD and do maths with meeeeeeee :D
    (That's if I get in. Yesterday's discovery of the amount of applications has seriously dented my confidence about that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Yeah, it's quite fun! It really depends on the night though. Sometimes it can be really really packed and then it's just ****, and then other it's not that busy at all that the dance floor is like awkwardly empty. But usually it's good craic! Most of my friends prefer Carbon and I keep meaning to go there but I never do! :p

Go to Karma! Carbon is just always...sweaty :-/ :P
    Is anyone from boards going out in Galway on Thursday night?

>_> :eek: Damn, forgot the one night we were thinking of heading out is the night all the likkle LC's will be out! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Go to Karma! Carbon is just always...sweaty :-/ :P

>_> :eek: Damn, forgot the one night we were thinking of heading out is the night all the likkle LC's will be out! :P

While I agree with your views on Carbon, I don't like Karma at all! CPs ftw :cool:

Or you could get the ride in Club K :pac: I wonder if anyone will get that..

Wesc. wrote: »
    While I agree with your views on Carbon, I don't like Karma at all! CPs ftw :cool:

Or you could get the ride in Club K :pac: I wonder if anyone will get that..

Tbh....Cuba :'(

Heh heh...NUIG memes page? :P (Although if its what I'm thinking about I'm sure its done the rounds over a few pages, not just that one! :pac:)

• Advertisement

You stay classy Club K... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I forgot about it already :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I keep feeling like I should have Arts somewhere on my CAO, not because I actually want to do it, but because it seems like everyone else has it down somewhere. Almost feels mandatory :pac:

leaveiton wrote: »
    I keep feeling like I should have Arts somewhere on my CAO, not because I actually want to do it, but because it seems like everyone else has it down somewhere. Almost feels mandatory :pac:

I don't have arts on my cao either lol. I keep thinking the same thing .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

My aunt died, I've been busy the past three days. Only got back home there. I am so ****ed for physics. I'm going to have to repeat probably because of this exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Tbh....Cuba :'(

Heh heh...NUIG memes page? :P (Although if its what I'm thinking about I'm sure its done the rounds over a few pages, not just that one! :pac:)

Cuba will be back! I think it is anyway..

Of course! Love NUIG memes :)

Wesc. wrote: »
    Cuba will be back! I think it is anyway..

Of course! Love NUIG memes :)

The property has been bought afaik. Or at least there's tonnes of "Cuba's back!!!" pages on facebook now! It'll never be the same though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I don't have arts on my cao either lol. I keep thinking the same thing .

Everyone seems to have it down as at least a back-up, it feels like I should too! :P Even though my 3rd choice would interest me much more and is the same points as most arts courses in the country :pac: Might just stick it in as no. 10 before the change of mind for the craic.

Okay guys, this has been a long time coming...

I'M LEAVING YOU ALL :(

(for three weeks :P)

I'm going to america tomorrow with my dad and sister til the 11th of july, oh god, its such a long time away from home and i'm missing all the fun things i'd planned months in advance :mad: but hey, vanilla coke, i cant complain.

so i might or might not be making some more posts before i go but just in case, i didnt die, im just livin' it up in amurica.

• Advertisement

Oh no, rather than studying today, I've just been going back and forth in my mind about whether I should do Arts or not:(
    I honestly don't know whether I should put Arts or a more "prestigious" course down as 1st choice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement