Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

What subjects do you like/dislike that you studied for the lc?

If you were to pick subjects again would you choose any different subjects or not do some of the ones that you chose?

HATE Economics but I couldn't even justify not picking it cos I find it really easy and I know it's handy points. Apart from that I like all mine :) Wish I could've done either Latin or Classics though, I think they're both fascinating! And I would have loved Technology, did it up to JC but my school doesn't have it for senior cycle. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

@Patchy every class in our school has mixed levels in it bar the core subject ones. :P Bit annoying 'cause they could easily change it so there's a higher and ordinary class each, but sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Originally Posted by Mysteriouschic

If you were to pick subjects again would you choose any different subjects or not do some of the ones that you chose?

If I were to repeat and had the availability of subjects I would do (I've a list compiled as I was nagging my friends about this already! )

Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    App Maths
    REGULAR Maths (no project maths shy-te)
    Classics
    Latin
    Music
    French/Spanish/Italian/Japanese/Irish

And the list goes on... :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Togepi wrote: »
    Now you've reminded me of my friend. :P We were out one night, no more than two weeks after her 18th, and we went into Supermacs because we weren't bothering to go to a nightclub or anything. Anyway, it was full of young wans who couldn't get into the local club, and she just walks in and goes to the rest of us - "ugh, the smell of underagers in here!" :pac:

Reminds me of this girl who used to be in my school, she skipped fourth year so this was her first year of college. Every weekend she'd have some status about "teenybopper leaving certs in town". She's not 18 until August, we're all older than her -.-

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Hey, you withdrew you're ninetales so I couldn't even battle it! :L :cool:

I'd destroy your team HK... ;) Heart gold/Soul Silver ya? :L

It was your connection that wasn't working ;) I just think you were to afraid to be beaten by pokémon 10 levels weaker :L
    Only so you wouldnt lose so badly! :P
    And hey I stood there for ages while you flew in and out in terror :D

• Advertisement

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Only so you wouldnt lose so badly! :P
    And hey I stood there for ages while you flew in and out in terror :D

Arah now...

You stood in the corner bouncing up and down and saying you were busy! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

@Patchy every class in our school has mixed levels in it bar the core subject ones. :P Bit annoying 'cause they could easily change it so there's a higher and ordinary class each, but sure!
    Oh same, but then there were two French classes on at once as there are every year but I wasnt in either of those ones because of business messing up my geography messing up my history ;_; It wasnt so much that which annoyed me but we actually had to ask our new teacher to do things and then I asked her if we could go over the Passe Simple and she was like "we dont need to do that" when you clearly do >_> I always just asked the other teacher for help, she loves me and shes so much better, it kills me that I didnt get to be in her class </3 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'd probably have chosen maths, english, classics, business, accounting , geography, spanish. Those would be my perfect subject choices :).

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

I'd drop geography as it's so much hard work and not worth it.

I'd love to have done classics and/or latin, just wasn't available in my school :( oh and construction studies looks quite interesting, when I picked my subjects I just didn't really know what it was tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Are you not 18? :eek: Ah it was still funny though 'cause she had just turned 18. She wouldn't have said it purposely to insult any of the gang there, she was just having a laugh! Nothing personal. :P

I am haha, it's just a lot of people genuinely take that sort of superior attitude once they've turned 18 or moved to college or...even in school, fourth years going "aww look at the little third years", fifth years going "all look at the little fourth years". It just annoys me so much. :L

I think I'd have liked DCG and engineering, my school doesn't have them though. Happy enough with my subjects, though if Irish were optional I would've been so out of that class :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

If I repeated the leaving I'd probably try much harder in French, wouldn't mind giving economics a bash either.

Oh same, but then there were two French classes on at once as there are every year but I wasnt in either of those ones because of business messing up my geography messing up my history ;_; It wasnt so much that which annoyed me but we actually had to ask our new teacher to do things and then I asked her if we could go over the Passe Simple and she was like "we dont need to do that" when you clearly do >_> I always just asked the other teacher for help, she loves me and shes so much better, it kills me that I didnt get to be in her class </3 :pac:

Last year I couldn't be in the best French teacher's class because of History. </3 (Probably one of the things that made me hate the subject. :pac:) I still went into her class once or twice though on days when there was only a few people in school in (winter 2k...10 I think!) 'cause she was sound and she loved me since I had her for the Junior Cert. :P And half our year just went to her for help for the orals, 'twas gas, she let of all of us just go to her classroom during religion or computers. :D Had great craic in her class this year, so glad it fit the timetable!

@finality yeah it can be pretty annoying - the worst is second years coming in in September and acting as if they own the place - what's that about?! :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

This x1000. Cian if you look at the arts block in tcd it seems to me they really just have it for the sake of it and it's really unappealing. I've heard theres writing in the toilets saying "Whats the difference between a triangle and an arts student? A triangle has more points" and all sorts of awfully snobby stuff, whereas UCD is the place to be :P
    (What I mean by that is I'll be there and kitty might be too mwahaha

Very good point, the arts block in Trinity is horrible! :P The science buildings are where it's at! What I meant in my original post though is that it's not as good for Arts as other colleges (from what I hear, anyway). Although in saying that, apparently it's very good for maths so that might be a factor to consider. But don't let the points influence you, there are smaller places in Trinity so it's in higher demand, and it does have that reputation of being "the best," so a lot of people who get higher points will see it as being more prestigious so they'll apply. Whereas UCD, as mentioned, has huuuuge numbers doing Arts, so the demand isn't as great as Trinity.

I love all my chosen subjects (biology, chemistry, German and music) and I like maths too. Don't really like Irish and I HATE English :P I've actually spent a fair bit of time wondering what I'd do if I repeated, I wouldn't want to do English again but literally no other subjects that you can take for LC interest me!

I would have liked to have done art actually, I was going to do it in fourth year and my junior cert teacher said I'd have a good chance of getting an A in it. I think it would have stressed me out though, I hate painting etc when there's a time limit.

If I could choose any seven (which I couldn't 'cause I'd probably have ten favourites :pac:), I'd do:

French
    Spanish
    Irish (though the literature would put me off big time)
    Physics or Phys/Chem
    Japanese
    Maths (only if there were bonus points!)
    English/Art (I wouldn't do English unless it included Hamlet) </3

I've done all of those bar Spanish, Japanese and Physics, so I can't complain really!

Music, DCG (again), maybe even Construction or Geography would be pretty cool too though, although the Geography course sounds a bit intense. Edit: And Religion, unless it was overly similar to History.

I'd love to do technology it looks really interesting. I did engineering it was alright I just hated cutting metal it's so frustrating I didn't put a lot of effort into it either it was theory for the whole of 5th year then practical in 6th year.. Woodwork would've been better :). Or even a science but not biology.
    I wish they had ICT at leaving cert level.

@Togepi What's DCG like? was it good? it sounds quite interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

finality wrote: »
    I am haha, it's just a lot of people genuinely take that sort of superior attitude once they've turned 18 or moved to college or...even in school, fourth years going "aww look at the little third years", fifth years going "all look at the little fourth years". It just annoys me so much. :L

Didn't mean for my comment to spark off so much hate! :pac:

I was only joking anyway, although I'm more than a year older than ye so I'm allowed! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

If I could choose any six:

French
    German
    Swedish
    English
    Classics
    History/Geography/Religion (although I'm an atheist)

Quite language heavy :P

If I could choose any six:

French
    German
    Swedish
    English
    Classics
    History/Geography/Religion (although I'm an atheist)

Quite language heavy :P

And no Irish despite the fluent mother:rolleyes:
    How's the Swedish coming anyway?

And Religion is an odd choice, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Well if we're doing absolutely perfect lists... :)
    Irish (surprisingly I love it!)
    English
    NORMAL Maths (none of this Project crap, hated it)
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Classics
    Technology
    and possibly Applied Maths if I could do it properly, not the two-classes-a-week thing we did this year.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Oh, how different my subject choices would have been if I could go back in time (and go back to a school that offered more :rolleyes: )

I'd do:

English
    History
    Biology
    Geography
    Music
    Religion

But ah well, all in the past! Get to do geography in college though for my first year so I am quite happy with that. :)

I remember I did Mandrin in my old secondary in England when I was like 11.
    I had to do two languages I did both Spanish and French then I was made to do Mandrin for a term. It seemed really difficult with the characters. Drawing them were very hard. I still remember 3 phrases :).

I actually would've liked the chance to learn irish but there was no way I could pick up irish from first year. My whole family know irish except me.

If was picking between french and german I might have chosen german instead (if their wasn't spanish).

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

If I repeated I'd definitely do these:

-Applied Maths
    -Physics
    -Economics
    -Geography
    -French
    -Normal Maths :L

And if I had to do one more I'd pick Japanease :D

Somebody posted this on FaceBook
    petchay.jpg
    It's called Petchay.

Reminded me of Patchy:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

If I could go back in time i'd do
    The usual suspects
    German
    French
    Biz
    Economics
    Applied maths

And yes my Sig is for patch <3

This has to be one of the best movies! :D
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_yywvKq7MoNmiiuOJIgLVooKwdsi8dc_v0H9Y-TyU2iKw_IBi
    I really want to watch it now.

If I had a free choice of any six I'd do

maths
    German
    biology
    engineering
    DCG
    phys/chem

seems like a nice combination

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Eathrin wrote: »
    And no Irish despite the fluent mother:rolleyes:
    How's the Swedish coming anyway?

And Religion is an odd choice, why?
    I actually really really like Irish, but the literary course is so damn annoying, and I couldn't face having to look at a single sraith pictiúr ever again. Although I'd definitely do it if I repeated :p

Svenska has sadly been left on the back burner over the last few months, but I don't think I've really forgotten anything so that's good. Gonna buy a grammar book in the summer and go wild! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Think I might actually do some French over the summer, I really don't want to forget everything now the LC's over

• Advertisement

There's a spider on my floor with 4 legs, 3 on one side and one the other. I feel bad for him even though I have spiders but I'm more worried of what ate its legs.

And we're back OT.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement