Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm really, really excited for college. I want some gay friends. Bit nervous people will be cliquey though :/

General thing is I think to just join literally 20 societies at the start. If you only join 5 and 4 of them turn out to rarely meet up or be boring, you're screwed.

I've just learnt how to make my own stickers. This better not be another one of my disappointing internet craft projects. If it works, my life is complete and I don't need college :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

I'm scared of 3 things
    1. Not making any friends
    2. Not liking my course
    3. Being homesick :(
    tbh though I'm excited bout moving out and cooking for myself etc :)

Actually yeah I'm worried about my course too. I mean in theory it sounds really interesting but it could be really dry and boring. Especially if I've overestimated how well my LC went and I'm not looking at the high points I'm hoping for.

It must be so hard living away from home in 1st year. As much as it might sound fun in my head, I've a feeling I'd starve to death and be homesick fairly fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I used to be worried that I wouldn't make any friends, but now I'm not too bothered about it. I already know a couple of people in the college, and some of my friends are going to the same city next year so things are turning out nicely. Having said that, I was all for heading to uni without knowing anyone. It would've been terrifying but fun! I'm just assuming I'll inevitably have to make friends, I'll be joining loads of clubs and societies anyway so hopefully it'll be hard not to!

My main concern at the moment is that I'll live on chocolate and crisps and eat my way to a heart attack before the end of the year. It's actually possible, I can't not buy loads of chocolate/crisps when they're cheap, and they'll be so much easier to buy in a city than in the middle of nowhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I've no idea if I'll be staying in Dublin or going to either Newcastle or Sheffield for university. I know if I get Newcastle I'm happy with that but if it's Sheffield I'm not sure :S. The course is different . I'd love to move out but dcu might be a better course it's right across the road though I don't really want to be as close as that to it.
    I don't think my mum wants me to move though. The making friends again is kind of nervous and then if you don't get on with your roommates.
    Then maybe getting lost in the city and then managing money I'm not the best with money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

TheComeUp wrote: »
    On a side note, is there thunder and lightning by any of ye? I'm in my bedroom with some Kanye West blaring but no I still heard it. Turned off the music and the thunder clap nearly tore down the window. Now it's raining intensely. Wtf? First the 'leaving cert' weather never came now this ish.

Yes! The thunder is insane. Weather's trollin'. I just looked out the window and the lightning nearly blinded me :L Counted 20 seconds between lightning and thunder, so it's only 4 miles away.

Oh I want to add something else to my scared of list :P
    if I go to ucd I will be terrified of Dublin :O yes its a big irritational culchie fear but its a real fear!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

finality wrote: »
    Yes! The thunder is insane. Weather's trollin'. I just looked out the window and the lightning nearly blinded me :L Counted 20 seconds between lightning and thunder, so it's only 4 miles away.
    It's like five seconds for me, I'm gonna die :(

Oh I want to add something else to my scared of list :P
    if I go to ucd I will be terrified of Dublin :O yes its a big irritational culchie fear but its a real fear!! :(

There's just something fishy about places without fields... :cool:

Amazingly, its a lot less big than you think it'd be. You can easily walk the whole city centre in one shopping trip. You're not going to New York :P
    BE GRAND. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Chuchoter wrote: »
    Amazingly, its a lot less big than you think it'd be. You can easily walk the whole city centre in one shopping trip. You're not going to New York :P
    BE GRAND. :D

No your wrong. All us country folk are going to get lost and die. :(

I will protect you! I will be the pied piper of culchies!

Martin_94 wrote: »
    All us country folk are going to get lost and die. :(
    Or worse. Expelled. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Togepi wrote: »
    There's just something fishy about places without fields... :cool:

There's a field with horses in it 10 minutes walk from my house. Yes, in a big nice suburban area one wonders how they managed to keep it from being sold. They should have too, they were offered millions during the boom, worthless now.

Eathrin wrote: »
    There's a field with horses in it 10 minutes walk from my house. Yes, in a big nice suburban area one wonders how they managed to keep it from being sold. They should have too, they were offered millions during the boom, worthless now.

A field in the middle of a city with new buildings being built on it? Fairly valuable.

A field in the middle of a city with horses in it?

Priceless. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

The thing about college societies is, whatever things that I'm into and want to do, it's likely that my friends won't, then I'm going to end up going to these things alone where it'll just be weird and awkward and I'll be forever put off the idea of ever returning.

The thing about college societies is, whatever things that I'm into and want to do, it's likely that my friends won't, then I'm going to end up going to these things alone where it'll just be weird and awkward and I'll be forever put off the idea of ever returning.

Now you've just made me think that'll happen me! Nah, I bet all my friends will love French, Pokémon and chess, we'll all be signing up for the same societies anyway. :pac:

Seriously though, if you're in a society, you'll meet new people, so you'll end up making a few new friends, unless everyone in every society decides to only join ones with their own group of friends! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I really can't be arsed with not doing things because my friends aren't doing them anymore, so many people have told me that they'd love to have put down UCD or Trinity, but they can't because none of "the girls" are going. Just live your life mahn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I'm seriously excited for College, i'm not worried about making friends tbh, it's inevitable you're going to make friends, between class/societies/orientations/house shares etc. you're bound to make friends! I'm staying on campus and am really looking forward to it!

Heck, some of us are good friends from this, you're all sound, why wouldn't ye all make friends? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Mary I is my first choice and it's basically just like a massive school so making friends there is gonna be pretty grand like. Are ye really gonna be joining all those societies though? I might join two or three like but I dont see the point on joining loads for the sake of meeting friends. If anything its gonna be like secondary school all over again just with more people so if anything won't we have more friends if anything? Yeah and like what the above said, ye all seem funny nice and sound!!

I'm jelly of ppl living with loads others. I'm hoping to be in limerick but I found out that I'll be sharing a kitchen etc with only one other fella. If he turns out to be an @sshole I'll either tell him and get kicked out or have to deal with him for a whole year. But I hear that every guy who goes to Mary I is quite similar because you need to have certain qualities for primary teaching bla bla bla so I doubt it's gonna be an antisocial fella tbh although I've nothing against them. I just hope it's a fella similar to me because that would be deadly. F*ck it if he's full of himself that wont be too bad. I'm all for the banter and I can be cruel to strangers when I want to be :)

But yeah don't worry about that stuff until it arrives upon thy souls. Atm I'm worried about getting the course I bloody want...and the weather. My electricity is gone since like 6 cuz of the storm. Dad came into my room there just to announce it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

i repeated so it's kinda funny when you see people back from college now and who they're friends with. there are girls who never spoke before when in school together but went to the same college and now they're like best friends! :L

also some of my friends said that just try and go out and meet people in the first few weeks because that's when you really make most friends, also if you're on campus your roommates will be your friends and whether you're in a large lecture or a small class just introduce yourself to the person beside you :D everyone is in the same boat as you more or less.
    it is very worrying, it's part of the reason why i went to the gaeltacht on my own when i was younger because i knew it would force me to just randomly talk to people (i'm quite shy) :D
    if you're into a sport or whatever join that club too and you'll make loadsa friends through training and after-match beering :D
    and most colleges have freshers week first so it'll just be all us freshers for the first week and there should be events where you can go meet people.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

lads will be some popular in primary teaching colleges because of the 9:1 ratio :L

I'm a bit worried about not joining a sport. I'd like to do yoga or pilates or something, but I absolutely detest competitive sport. I'm not sure if TCD has yoga or pilates, and its seems to be important to join some variation on a sport.

Haha yes the infamous ratio. I thought it was something like 3:1 in Mary I though? Whatever it is I'm not nor will I complain in the slightest if I do get Primary Teaching, whether in Limerick, Maynooth or Dublin :P Thats gonna come in handy when going for a job too. They're crying out for male teachers. For example I guy from where I live just finished his 3 year degree last year. Within two months he's got a one school year contract. Thats pretty sick. In comparison to my cousin, a girl, who's been a 'sub' for nearly a year. But yes ''the ratio'' is great haha

Yeah I'm a lil worried about sport in college I guess. I was always pretty good at GAA and soccer but gave them up because of school and other things two years ago. My fitness is absolutely shocking. I must get into running again...then I'll just hit the gym in college and go from there.

I don't know anyone in any of the places I applied to. I don't know what the societies are like either. I had a look at the ones in dcu I don't really like any of them. It's always weird joining stuff by yourself. I usually take my time before I really get to know anyone. I'm kind of used to joining things by myself. Then sometimes I don't even mind if I don't speak to people because I'll feel awkward or shy. I'm not sure if I'll bother with any of them :S.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Haha yes the infamous ratio. I thought it was something like 3:1 in Mary I though? Whatever it is I'm not nor will I complain in the slightest if I do get Primary Teaching, whether in Limerick, Maynooth or Dublin :P Thats gonna come in handy when going for a job too. They're crying out for male teachers. For example I guy from where I live just finished his 3 year degree last year. Within two months he's got a one school year contract. Thats pretty sick. In comparison to my cousin, a girl, who's been a 'sub' for nearly a year. But yes ''the ratio'' is great haha

Yeah I'm a lil worried about sport in college I guess. I was always pretty good at GAA and soccer but gave them up because of school and other things two years ago. My fitness is absolutely shocking. I must get into running again...then I'll just hit the gym in college and go from there.

If you're good at GAA keep it going, they love Male Primary Teachers who are good at sport (particularly GAA) as they have someone to coach a team/go to matches with them! And I definitely agree that Male primary teachers have better employment prospects, even though I only know a few Male Primary Teachers, none of them have ever had any trouble finding work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

I don't know anyone in any of the places I applied to. I don't know what the societies are like either. I had a look at the ones in dcu I don't really like any of them. It's always weird joining stuff by yourself. I usually take my time before I really get to know anyone. I'm kind of used to joining things by myself. Then sometimes I don't even mind if I don't speak to people because I'll feel awkward or shy. I'm not sure if I'll bother with any of them :S.

MPS in DCU sounds like an epic society!

I don't know anyone applying to the same colleges as I either. I'm veery quiet (but very chatty if I get to know the people) and I don't drink which hopefully won't be too much of a challenge in meeting new people. It's very sad that sometimes it would be.
    We will all make friends in college, people! Don't worry about it yet.

I woke up to a buzzing sound near my ear lol either that or I was dreaming I had like 3 weird dreams .

I'm actually worried if I go to the one across from me. I'll just leave right before the lecture starts that I won't have time to get to know people. I kind of want to move away then it'll be easier to make friends if you have room mates then you have people on you and you'll see people around campus. It seems like it'll be harder if you're living at home the only time you'll see people will be for your course or if you join societies. This is so hard the decision I really don't know which place I want. I only know if I get the Newcastle one I'll definitely go there the rest I'm not sure :S.

subz3r0 wrote: »
    MPS in DCU sounds like an epic society!

I don't know anyone applying to the same colleges as I either. I'm veery quiet (but very chatty if I get to know the people) and I don't drink which hopefully won't be too much of a challenge in meeting new people. It's very sad that sometimes it would be.
    We will all make friends in college, people! Don't worry about it yet.

I'm the same it depends on the person some people I'm really quiet with others you can't get me to shut up. It's usually the more extroverted people I find it hard to talk with or some of them anyway I know a few in my old school I was always quiet with them more because we had nothing in common making conversations awkward that I just avoided it. One of them even said why don't you talk more. Not everyone gets that I do talk just not all the time and some people it's much harder if we have nothing in common. This year repeating I made an effort to speak to most but I only spoke to people in my group. But I'd say I was only close to 4/5 out of 10 as I didn't have much in common with the others or they weren't as easy to talk to. One of them used to bitch a lot and I can't trust somebody who is always bitching as I'm always wondering if they'll be doing that about me behind my back.

• Advertisement

I don't really have that problem because like 8 or 9 of my top 10 are away from Cork. And those 2 others are way low down the order. Cork just has no courses that suit me. So yeah it's gonna be Limerick, Maynooth or Dublin but the parents aren't too keen on me going to Dublin because one it's so far away and two they know I'm gonna go mental in Limerick and Dublin is away more open and stuff so they want me to be safe in my own danger :L

Actually what have ye guys got down for Level 7 stuff? Me and a few friends are just taking the piss outta it cause we dont know what to do for it. We've all got Bar Management #1 so if we do awful we'll just set up a pub!!! Like I've Forestry down at number two or three! :L it's a joke like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement