Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

LCVP yeah? I thought my Portfolio was perfect, my teacher told me there was nothing wrong with it. Then the other teacher in my school went to a conference with like a Major Examiner or some head over LCVP and they gave sample perfect portfolios and there slightly different! I need the Distinction in LCVP and got 86% in the Mock but i'm unsure whether to change the portfolio or not! :(

Engineering, I'm already late with handing it up ><

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Watching Germany's next top model is the BEST way to study for the German oral. I'm addicted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

finality wrote: »
    Watching Germany's next top model is the BEST way to study for the German oral. I'm addicted.

:O

Is it online? If so, may I have a link? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

leaveiton wrote: »
    :O

Is it online? If so, may I have a link? :P

http://serienjunkies.org/serie/germanys-next-topmodel/

There's a list of episodes at the top and there are little icons under where it says "hoster", the first icon is the best one for all the episodes. You need to leave it load for a good while though, it's quite slow. For me at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

finality wrote: »
    http://serienjunkies.org/serie/germanys-next-topmodel/

There's a list of episodes at the top and there are little icons under where it says "hoster", the first icon is the best one for all the episodes. You need to leave it load for a good while though, it's quite slow. For me at least.

Danke!

I've been watching this as well: http://www.dw.de/dw/0,,13359,00.html It's a little webseries all in German. It's hilarious, but I don't think it's meant to be as funny as I find it :pac: Such good acting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm doing OL Irish and I don't even need to pass it. I'd still like to do half way decent in it. Still haven't done a tap of oral work though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Are you exempt or something? :O Or does the college just not require it? Either way youre down from HL, be grand :P

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

I'm 5th in tomorrow for Irish and I haven't looked at ANYTHING!

My God I'm dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

this would be a good time to finish my homework.... even better time to start it :( why do I put things off ? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭AlmightyDublin

Manic2 wrote: »
    I'm 5th in tomorrow for Irish and I haven't looked at ANYTHING!

My God I'm dead.
    Ahhh I'm sure you'll do well :D
    Go n-eirí leat! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Ahhh I'm sure you'll do well :D
    Go n-eirí leat! :)

Are you doing any preparation?
    After all you're fluent in Irish but I can't help but feel that not having things prepared is going to ultimately lose me marks.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Chuchoter wrote: »
    I'm doing OL Irish and I don't even need to pass it. I'd still like to do half way decent in it. Still haven't done a tap of oral work though :P

I'm the same but I was aiming for an A in higher... Emphasis on the 'was'.

I'd do grand but this year everyone's learning off loads of really good notes from our teacher, last year everyone was just like - I'm talking about sport, I don't care what they ask. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Are you exempt or something? :O Or does the college just not require it? Either way youre down from HL, be grand :P

TCD doesn't need it and they're all I have down. Probably will get some done...eventually.

Eathrin wrote: »
    Are you doing any preparation?
    After all you're fluent in Irish but I can't help but feel that not having things prepared is going to ultimately lose me marks.:(
    Preparation? Not really, sure irish should be grand :D But I'd say reading over the poems, maybe going over the sraith p's will help. Sometimes its easier to make up the story as you go along though, instead of having it revised :pac:
    I'm not doing mine until Tuesday anyways, I'm more focused on other things at the moment than irish :)
    Best of luck in your exam though!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Taking tomorrow off to learn all of my french. Prob be a disaster of a day :(
    Really bet down about everything lately. #sadface

Preparation? Not really, sure irish should be grand :D But I'd say reading over the poems, maybe going over the sraith p's will help. Sometimes its easier to make up the story as you go along though, instead of having it revised :pac:
    I'm not doing mine until Tuesday anyways, I'm more focused on other things at the moment than irish :)
    Best of luck in your exam though!

Thanks, should be grand I know, but I do actually want a good grade in Irish so there's more pressure this time than in French. I should do some sraiths but like you said, I usually just make it up as I see it anyway. I don't have a problem with the poetry, should be 35/35 100% sure of that.

I hope it's a generous marker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Ah French I was practising for the evening. I still don't know lots of what I have I end up, putting sentences together. I have until Tuesday to learn it properly. I keep noticing how when I speak French my accent changes between English and Irish nowhere near sounding French. I can't do the French accent I find it really difficult. I'm really not language fluent I mean my cousin was able to learn off my own paragraph in minutes :rolleyes: . I'm still trying to learn it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Talked to a French girl today, she corrected stuff for me, gave me some new phrases and said my French was absolutely excellent :D so happy :D

Thanks, should be grand I know, but I do actually want a good grade in Irish so there's more pressure this time than in French. I should do some sraiths but like you said, I usually just make it up as I see it anyway. I don't have a problem with the poetry, should be 35/35 100% sure of that.

I hope it's a generous marker.
    Yeah I completely agree. Sure my teacher, who's from the Gaeltacht, says that students there never bother looking at the sraiths etc., the first time they see them is when they walk into the Exam :) And poetry is just handing you marks :D Just take your time in the exam, and if you can somehow incorparate a Seanfocal into your sraith, or to answer one of your questions with (eg if they ask 'how do we solve the economic crisis in this country? try and put the 'ní neart go cur le ceile' one in your response, about everyone working together to solve the mess the politicians left us in or something)

It should be fine really, if you have confidence in your irish-speaking, you should walk out with marks in the bag :D

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

I posted this in the other thread as well (the Irish oral one) but I need the answer fairly urgently so anyway:

Im trying to use the Modh Coinníollach in the general comhrá and was wondering how to say :''If I had the money''..........

Is it: ''Dá mbeadh an t-airgead agam....''

• Advertisement

Yeah I completely agree. Sure my teacher, who's from the Gaeltacht, says that students there never bother looking at the sraiths etc., the first time they see them is when they walk into the Exam :) And poetry is just handing you marks :D Just take your time in the exam, and if you can somehow incorparate a Seanfocal into your sraith, or to answer one of your questions with (eg if they ask 'how do we solve the economic crisis in this country? try and put the 'ní neart go cur le ceile' one in your response, about everyone working together to solve the mess the politicians left us in or something)

It should be fine really, if you have confidence in your irish-speaking, you should walk out with marks in the bag :D
    I just heard about throwing a seanfhocal in there the other day. Such as silly exam, it's in no way a natural conversation.
    rkeano5 wrote: »
    I posted this in the other thread as well (the Irish oral one) but I need the answer fairly urgently so anyway:

Im trying to use the Modh Coinníollach in the general comhrá and was wondering how to say :''If I had the money''..........

Bang on.

I just heard about throwing a seanfhocal in there the other day. Such as silly exam, it's in no way a natural conversation.

Bang on.
    Yeah, I know. Sure its hardly an exam if the poem appears on the paper too :rolleyes: An exam is there to test your knowledge, I think having the peom included on the paper defeats this purpose :confused:
    And you could say that the leaving cert itself is in no way a proper examination method, I look at it as more of a mass points competition :P

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

Bang on.

Go raibh míle maith agat, I'm most grateful.. Have done feck all study for this Irish oral and am planning on just winging it. It worked in the mocks:o

Yeah, I know. Sure its hardly an exam if the poem appears on the paper too :rolleyes: An exam is there to test your knowledge, I think having the peom included on the paper defeats this purpose :confused:
    And you could say that the leaving cert itself is in no way a proper examination method, I look at it as more of a mass points competition :P

But say if we had a 30-45 minute conversation with the examiner(I don't see this as excessive, it is 40% after all) they could better suss out your true ability to speak the language.

I did the French oral last week and to say the least I was disappointed that I came out feeling all right about how it went and yet still couldn't hold a proper conversation with a stranger in French on some random topic without my learned off sentences should that happen for instance. How is that an education if the point is to trick the examiner??

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Is it not " Ma raibh an t-airgead agam "... then followed by the modh coinniolach, isn't that the rule? I could be wrong, but think I'm right? :L

Wesc. wrote: »
    Is it not " Ma raibh an t-airgead agam "... then followed by the modh coinniolach, isn't that the rule? I could be wrong, but think I'm right? :L

I suppose if you're directly translating from English but that sounds completely wrong as Gaeilge:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I can't bring myself to study for Irish and I'm on tomorrow. I can never make myself learn off Irish, it's just not natural!

It's ridiculous. So is French. When would you ever answer the question 'so, where do you live?' with 'I live in _____, it's a small town in the west of Ireland with a secondary school, a post office, banks, a cinema, supermarkets, etc...' So stupid!

Yeah that's perfect, the má raibh translation is taking it directly from the English so it's not right.

When is everyones French oral?

I'm getting slightly nervous but I really want to be off to a good start and do great.

I just thought of a way to be able to listen to what you prepared for the oral.
    Copy what you have typed up into google translate and click the listen button then record it on your phone or ipod.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement