Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Yeah 4 is enough :) As long as you get enough into it to make it a good story thats all that matters :)

Yessssssss! I always do mine like that but was never sure if I'd make the examiner sad :L I did one last week on a man whos sad over his wife's death and I got 96/100, if I manage to fit that in I'd die :D

I was going to write about someone getting a illness then having to tell their family about it . I couldn't think of a illness to use as well I was going to use cancer then I was thinking it might be too much. Then I decided to change it to someone working in a business and people are losing their jobs but the main character hasn't and she has to move to another country because the business closed down but was bought by someone in that country and she had to tell her family they're moving. I don't know if this plot is too predictable though lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I feel so sorry for all of you who opt for the short stories. I could never make up a tale and develop characters and a plot that is somewhat realistic, or at least something that the examiner could empathize with, while also trying to make the story different to everyone else's and not too cliched.

Good ol' reliable speeches for me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I was going to write about someone getting a illness then having to tell their family about it . I couldn't think of a illness to use as well I was going to use cancer then I was thinking it might be too much. Then I decided to change it to someone working in a business and people are losing their jobs but the main character hasn't and she has to move to another country because the business closed down but was bought by someone in that country and she had to tell her family they're moving. I don't know if this plot is too predictable though lol.
    Predictable is fine if you do it nicely, I did a story that had no real plot a while ago where "an old person looks back on an important event" and it got the highest i've ever gotten :) Ive had to tone mine down a bit too :P
    I feel so sorry for all of you who opt for the short stories. I could never make up a tale and develop characters and a plot that is somewhat realistic, or at least something that the examiner could empathize with, while also trying to make the story different to everyone else's and not too cliched.

Good ol' reliable speeches for me. :D
    But they tell you what to write your speech about, they'd all be the same! Let your creativity flowwwwwww with a short story :D

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Personally I think the more disturbed you make your character in the story the higher the mark :P

Predictable is fine if you do it nicely, I did a story that had no real plot a while ago where "an old person looks back on an important event" and it got the highest i've ever gotten :) Ive had to tone mine down a bit too :P

But they tell you what to write your speech about, they'd all be the same! Let your creativity flowwwwwww with a short story :D

I could've made the son not want to go well I did but he gave in easily I just wanted to end the story lol. You don't need to mention what gender you are do you? I left it out and just said things like "my husband" or "my son" . I didn't really describe the character in much detail either.

• Advertisement

I would do a speech but my teacher was saying how you need to be the sort of person in tune with certain things around the world or be able to back your answer and know a lot about different abstract topics (or she said something along the lines of that). I think I'm more of an ideas person . I could do a short speech not for the 100mark essay. I know a personal essay I wouldn't be able to do or even argumentative as I usually see both sides to the situation so my arguments wouldn't be as strong. I'm going to try out both speeches and stories and see which suits me more. I've always attempted the short stories in the paper 1s though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I would do a speech but my teacher was saying how you need to be the sort of person in tune with certain things around the world or be able to back your answer and know a lot about different abstract topics (or she said something along the lines of that). I think I'm more of an ideas person . I could do a short speech not for the 100mark essay. I know a personal essay I wouldn't be able to do or even argumentative as I usually see both sides to the situation so my arguments wouldn't be as strong. I'm going to try out both speeches and stories and see which suits me more. I've always attempted the short stories in the paper 1s though.
    I would never do the speech, give me the short story option any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

3 weeks from tomorrow: English paper 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

My creative side doesn't get me half as many marks as my cynical, opinionated, cruel speech writing side. :P all my speeches are about how crap something is.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

finality wrote: »
    3 weeks from tomorrow: English paper 1.
    Stop it you're killing me :(

(On the brightside - exactly one month until I'm completely free!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Ugh, I wanna cry. ARGH. But anyway. It's 10pm and I'm in bed...this Leaving Cert craic is no fun. Remind me why I didn't drop out when I was gonna?

Has anyone tried this personality test thing
    http://www.worldpersonality.com/

it's quite interesting even maybe accurate :). What did you get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

so study day ... and I got my hair cut... you can see I took that seriously :rolleyes:
    I think I should do my economics homework at least :O

oh and did that personality test :) : ISFJ is also known as PRESERVER
    Dedicated and service-oriented. Dependable and orderly. Relate well to individual needs. Traditional and procedural.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Music practical next Tuesday, finally!!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

Doubting if I want to go to the debs now, I finally asked a girl I've liked for ages to go with me today but I was turned down bad :/ Excuse the language but I feel like shít.

Beginning to think 4 hours study in the evenings isn't enough at this stage. I usually start around 5.30 and finish up at 9.30, thinking I need to keep studying (after a little break) until about 11 or 11.30. Not getting the stuff done I need to do and the Leaving is in 3 weeks. I'm beginning to get extremely nervous at this stage. :(

Doubting if I want to go to the debs now, I finally asked a girl I've liked for ages to go with me today but I was turned down bad :/ Excuse the language but I feel like shít.

OMG what ? :( what she say ? if you don't wanna say its ok :(
    Go to the debs, don't mind that silly girl :O You will have a great time dear :) just bring someone else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Beginning to think 4 hours study in the evenings isn't enough at this stage. I usually start around 5.30 and finish up at 9.30, thinking I need to keep studying (after a little break) until about 11 or 11.30. Not getting the stuff done I need to do and the Leaving is in 3 weeks. I'm beginning to get extremely nervous at this stage. :(
    You will be fine! You do more studying than all of us combined, you can only do your best and it seems you're already outdoing yourself. Relax, take a break :)

You will be fine! You do more studying than all of us combined, you can only do your best and it seems you're already outdoing yourself. Relax, take a break :)
    Thanks Patchy! It's just the realisation of the exams coming so close that's got me freaking out completely. Really think i'm going to have to try studying until 11.30 for the next couple of weeks, it's not going to kill me and after that, a serious sleep will be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

You're fine <3 We're all here if you want to talk!

• Advertisement

so study day ... and I got my hair cut... you can see I took that seriously :rolleyes:
    I think I should do my economics homework at least :O

oh and did that personality test :) : ISFJ is also known as PRESERVER
    Dedicated and service-oriented. Dependable and orderly. Relate well to individual needs. Traditional and procedural.

Did you think yours was accurate? the result and kind of interesting?

Did you think yours was accurate? the result and kind of interesting?

em dunno really :O the questions were a bit odd :o

em dunno really :O the questions were a bit odd :o

Oh it's probably more interesting reading this it'll make more sense :)
    http://www.personalitypage.com/ISFJ.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Has anyone tried this personality test thing
    http://www.worldpersonality.com/

it's quite interesting even maybe accurate :). What did you get?

ENFJ! (Energizer :D) I was ENFP for a long time, but my personality's changed and I've become more goal oriented, hence the shift from Perceiving > Judging. :) Hey Patchy, yano the way you lovelovelove French? Well, could you understand the people on this with no trouble? Or, could you watch Amelie or something and understand perfectly what they're saying? If so, how did you train yourself to do that? :P

Oh yaa! - "ENFP: Sociable, active, popular but put time enough into their work to perform well. Natural leaders. Effective in interpersonal relationships and skills. Tolerant trusted and forgiving." :D Hey mysteriouschic, did your teacher say anything else about doing the speech? It sounds like something I'd enjoy especially if I don't have to right much! :pac:

Super worried the same thing will happen to me, that's why I'ma just not ask her... bleh. :(

ENFJ! (Energizer :D) I was ENFP for a long time, but my personality's changed and I've become more goal oriented, hence the shift from Perceiving > Judging. :) Hey Patchy, yano the way you lovelovelove French? Well, could you understand the people on this with no trouble? Or, could you watch Amelie or something and understand perfectly what they're saying? If so, how did you train yourself to do that? :P

Oh yaa! - "ENFP: Sociable, active, popular but put time enough into their work to perform well. Natural leaders. Effective in interpersonal relationships and skills. Tolerant trusted and forgiving." :D Hey mysteriouschic, did your teacher say anything else about doing the speech? It sounds like something I'd enjoy especially if I don't have to right much! :pac:

I got INTP :).
    I'm not sure how much you have to write though she didn't really say I'll type up the basic thing she said quickly.
    1. Adress audience
    2.Register informal/formal
    3. Take position
    4. Strong opening must start with either controversial statement , joke , statistic ,anecdote or quotation
    5. Link the topic sentence to paragraph and use illustrations ,examples , linking words however ,also etc.
    and other things to address the audience , I can see you agree with this you will see why with my next point, I see many of you are etc..
    6. Good strong ending - use another joke/anecdote/quote

And then said how you need to have a good knowledge and be able to talk about a wide range of subjects and if you're not the type of person who knows a lot and strong examples about them to avoid the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I am kinda stressing out slightly too :/ I usually start at 4 and finish at 10.Still feel like I am dont have enough time in a day :P

I got INTP :).
    I'm not sure how much you have to write though she didn't really say I'll type up the basic thing she said quickly.
    1. Adress audience
    2.Register informal/formal
    3. Take position
    4. Strong opening must start with either controversial statement , joke , statistic ,anecdote or quotation
    5. Link the topic sentence to paragraph and use illustrations ,examples , linking words however ,also etc.
    and other things to address the audience , I can see you agree with this you will see why with my next point, I see many of you are etc..
    6. Good strong ending - use another joke/anecdote/quote

And then said how you need to have a good knowledge and be able to talk about a wide range of subjects and if you're not the type of person who knows a lot and strong examples about them to avoid the question.

Ah great :D Did she say anything about how much should be written? :)

Btw about the MBTI (personality type thingies), I'm in no way an ENFP :P At least not yet, anyway. I'd say I'm the most introverted person in my year at school :pac: But maybe that'll all change when I get to Uni, being a real ENFP sounds like the shit. :D

Ah great :D Did she say anything about how much should be written? :)

Btw about the MBTI (personality type thingies), I'm in no way an ENFP :P At least not yet, anyway. I'd say I'm the most introverted person in my year at school :pac: But maybe that'll all change when I get to Uni, being a real ENFP sounds like the shit. :D

She didn't say just told us the layout really.

Lol it's not bad or maybe you're the ENFJ like before just read them both and see which fits more. Mines worse makes me sound like I should be great at maths .
    http://www.personalitypage.com/ENFP.html
    http://www.personalitypage.com/ENFJ.html

• Advertisement

She didn't say just told us the layout really.

Lol it's not bad or maybe you're the ENFJ like before just read them both and see which fits more. Mines worse makes me sound like I should be great at maths .
    http://www.personalitypage.com/ENFP.html
    http://www.personalitypage.com/ENFJ.html

All of the 'E' types seem to be focused on people skills. Apart from the people skills bit, I'm definitely an ENFP (which seems a little bit pointless :pac:). IDK. I think the reason I don't feel very extroverted right now is because I live in redneck central, where half the population can't hold a conversation to save themselves. :P But, I get really extroverted when I'm doing something I enjoy! Maybe I should just do things I enjoy more often. :pac: Nawww, yours sounds great! Like really unconventional and innovative :D It sounds like the perfect personality type if you want to be a genius or something :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement