Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Finished school forever today. And can honestly say it was one of the best, funny, amazing, special, exciting, class day ever! Had a day full of Activities with my year (Tug-a-war, rounders, hide and seek, hula hooping :P, dancing, sack races, 3 legged races etc). No-one cried leaving, we had such an amazing day nobody felt the need to cry! We have our Graduation Mass tomorrow evening which is always an amazing moment, no doubt we'll all be crying then! But for now, my memories of my final days at school are nothing but positive! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

I can't wait to look at this board next year and laugh at all of the people doing the Leaving Cert

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

I can't wait to look at this board next year and laugh at all of the people doing the Leaving Cert

Unless you have to repeat......

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

reznov wrote: »
    Unless you have to repeat......

:pac:

Why you little Mortal_Kombat_-_Johnny_Cage.gif?v=1

Why you little Mortal_Kombat_-_Johnny_Cage.gif?v=1

:cool:
    Probability will dictate our fate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Wkds

Just did 7 hours of study :) it's the longest I've ever studied for by a good 2 hours. 500 points seems closer than ever :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Wow, you guys can get a serious amount f study done in a day. :/ Now I'm feeling a bit worried about myself because I can only get around 4 hours of good study done per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

I secretly want 600... and if I don't get it, I'm actually going to be pretty disappointed :( But here's the plan!

Applied Maths: Simply has to be an A1, I know you're all gonna hate me for saying this, but I can get A1's in it without any study :P But yeah I did come 3rd in the All-Ireland Applied Maths competition :cool:

Maths: Also has to be an A1, only thing I always f`uck up on is probability and a bit of stats but I can do everything else.

Physics: I'd like an A1 in this too. Not doing any study now until the days before the exam though, I have 4 and a half days like! So yeah hopefully all will go well:) However I think I'd get a B1 with last year's paper though I personally found tough!

Geography: If I don't get an A1 in this I'll actually be stunned. I know the whole course at the moment so I'm in good shape.

French: I would LOVE a sneaky A1 in this, but an A2 would suffice. I'm going to do an hour of listening every night from now 'till the leaving cert so hopefully I'll improve on that, comprehensions are grand, and I'm good enough at the written :)

Irish: I want a B1.. despite not studying anything for pros and poetry :P They take up too much time for too little marks IMO. There's basically only 3/4 types of questions that can come up for A Thig Na Tit Orm so that should be ok, and so far I've prepared and learnt off 5 essays!

English: I'd also like a B1. I'm dire at paper 1 though, well not that good (I failed the comprehension in the mock ffs) but for paper 2 I'm in decent shape, but if General vision doesn't come up I'm a bit screwed. I'd like to learn off a short story but I can't find one that'd fit into everything :(

So yeah, that's it! With a stroke of luck all will go well! Good luck to everyone else:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I don't know about anyone else but I've completely lost the ability to make decisions. Picking what to start studying, breakfast cereals, my brain is gone altogether :P

In any case, in terms of CAO, do I put business and law first because its theoretically better to have a joint degree or pure law because it has better options in the last two years? I've never done business and I don't know if it would be interesting or not :S

Chuchoter wrote: »
    In any case, in terms of CAO, do I put business and law first because its theoretically better to have a joint degree or pure law because it has better options in the last two years? I've never done business and I don't know if it would be interesting or not :S

Hey Chuchoter! Law and Business is my first choice at the moment, I love Business always have and got an A1 in the Mock. For me, it's a no brainer to combine Business and Law together as I would also be interested in working in the Business field. It's hard to say whether you'd find Business interesting or not. I know everyone in my class (bar 3 or 4) find Business excruciating. That's just Leaving Cert. Business though. If you're interested in Businesses/Economy/Accounts that sort of thing I would put the Business and Law first, if not, I would consider something else! Possible Pure Law could be a good choice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Wesc. wrote: »
    I secretly want 600... and if I don't get it, I'm actually going to be pretty disappointed :( But here's the plan!

Applied Maths: Simply has to be an A1, I know you're all gonna hate me for saying this, but I can get A1's in it without any study :P But yeah I did come 3rd in the All-Ireland Applied Maths competition :cool:

Maths: Also has to be an A1, only thing I always f`uck up on is probability and a bit of stats but I can do everything else.

Physics: I'd like an A1 in this too. Not doing any study now until the days before the exam though, I have 4 and a half days like! So yeah hopefully all will go well:) However I think I'd get a B1 with last year's paper though I personally found tough!

Geography: If I don't get an A1 in this I'll actually be stunned. I know the whole course at the moment so I'm in good shape.

French: I would LOVE a sneaky A1 in this, but an A2 would suffice. I'm going to do an hour of listening every night from now 'till the leaving cert so hopefully I'll improve on that, comprehensions are grand, and I'm good enough at the written :)

Irish: I want a B1.. despite not studying anything for pros and poetry :P They take up too much time for too little marks IMO. There's basically only 3/4 types of questions that can come up for A Thig Na Tit Orm so that should be ok, and so far I've prepared and learnt off 5 essays!

English: I'd also like a B1. I'm dire at paper 1 though, well not that good (I failed the comprehension in the mock ffs) but for paper 2 I'm in decent shape, but if General vision doesn't come up I'm a bit screwed. I'd like to learn off a short story but I can't find one that'd fit into everything :(

So yeah, that's it! With a stroke of luck all will go well! Good luck to everyone else:)

How many questions are you doing for applied maths / recommend to do?

How many questions are you doing for applied maths / recommend to do?

I do the good old questions 1-5 and 10. The great thing is, you can almost full marks for questions 3,4,5 and 10 because they're all pretty much the same method over and over again. Q1 can be tricky but it's a nice question in general I find, but I am hopeless at doing the v/t graphs and you have to prove something equals something else in loads of letters :o Only thing is question 2 can either but lovely or an absolute bitch :pac: It's usually fine for me though... watch collisions and resultant this year!
    if you're doing another question I'd go for moments of inertia, proofs come in part a every year which is an easy 20 marks and the methods to solve the question are pretty much the same all the time according to my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

625 points for me is as likely as the moon hitting the earth tomorrow afternoon. :pac: But the grades I want are...

English: Not gonna lie, I really really really want the A1 in this just because I've gotten A1s in any essays I've done recently and it'd be a pity to let that slip. I got a B1 in the mock, 8 marks off an A2, and that was mainly because I sort of misinterpreted the essay title, we hadnt revised Hamlet and I didnt know how to do unseen poetry. I'd be happy with an A2 and a B1 maybe, anything less would kill me. :(

Irish: I only ever wanted a B1 and managed an A2 in the mocks, but I dunno how, that exam was a real best care scenario. I'd be happy with a B2 but I'd like a B1, its a nice halfway point :)

Maths: As long as I pass I wont complain :D I've been doing a lot more work on it lately though neglecting P2 because its dreadful. I secretly want a C2, just because it'd be the equivalent of an A2 in anything else. ;)

French: If I don't get an A1 I will be crushed. I got it in my mock by the skin of my teeth because my oral was marked awfully hard, but French is my favourite thing ever and I really work consistently at it.

Geography: Seeing all my friends who do the easier parts of the course getting A1s effortlessly in the mocks has made me bitter, and the subject is piss easy anyway, so I'd like an A2/B1 at least.

Business: Meh, I find this subject hard believe it or not. B2 would keep me happy but maybe I'll get lucky. :)

History: Lol. I'll pass easily from the document and my project, but unless my predictions are right I mightn't get more than a C...but it could also go really well. Ideally I'd like a B3 or even a C1 so as to not make my results sheet look awful, but its a horrible subject.

I dont know how close I am to those results. English, Irish and French are definitely doable, business/maths are just one grade up from my mocks, and geography is the same.

</blogpost> :P

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Agricultural Science: Hopefully an A. I get them in class but when I look at the exam papers I'm not sure. They consistently ask things which aren't in the book and it's hard to know what exactly to study because the syllabus is so vague - A1

Biology: A hopefully as well. Sometimes questions can be a bit awkward but for the most part it's ok. I've probably put the most work into it - A1

Chemistry: A as well :p I've done all the exam papers and read the book numerous times so if I don't get it I'll be pissed :pac: - A1

Gaeilge: If I don't get the A I'll also be pretty mad. I've been doing an essay a week for the past year.. I haven't done any listening but that should be grand and I haven't put much into the Prós/Filíocht because there's a lot in there - A1

German: I'd like to say I'd get an A or a strong B but I don't put a lot of work into it. I'm awful at the listening - B1

English: My handwriting is awful and I'm really slow at writing so if I were to hazard a guess a C or a B - B1

Math: Hopefully a B :rolleyes: I just don't know with this subject :pac: - B1

Them results are best case scenario :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Yay bloggy posts! :D Okay here's mine:

(Obviously 6 A1s would be ideal, but seriously, where would ya be goin'?!) :P

English: B1. Same as last year. Any less is very likely but would also be a little embarrassing after last year. :cool: I'd love an A2, but it'd be so hard to get!

Irish: A1. If I can't get an A1 after so many years of the subject, and with 40% for the oral, then I never will! :P

Maths: B3 would be lovely, but my original aim was a D3 and seeing as I only took it up this year, I'll be happy as long as I pass! A C2 or higher would be nice though. :)

French: A1. I'd nearly repeat again if I don't get an A1 this time! Favourite subject ever + best teacher ever + actually working fairly hard = an A1, surely! :P

DCG: Oh god it's so hard to predict this one! I'm going to say at least a B1. I should be able to get a B, and if the paper's nice then maybe a high one. :)

Phys/Chem: Hopefully at least a B1 here too. The Chemistry will definitely bring me down though, but if I work my ass off and am lucky on the day, I could get an A.

Very optimistic, but that would give me 555 points. Lovely looking number that is, I better knuckle down for the next couple of weeks so!

Biology: A
    Chemistry: A
    Physics: A
    French: A
    English: A
    Maths: A
    Applied Maths: A
    Economics: A
    Business: A
    Religion: B-C

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I honestly wish we could type our Leaving Cert. My handwriting's atrocious

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

reznov wrote: »
    Biology: A
    Chemistry: A
    Physics: A
    French: A
    English: A
    Maths: A
    Applied Maths: A
    Economics: A
    Business: A
    Religion: B-C
    I want you to scan your results in August, just to see if you even do all those :P
    Ughhhhhhhhhh saaaaaaaaame. It'd make it easier for everyone. :(

I'm in the same boat as you in that regard. My handwriting becomes very scroll like once I pick up speed. Typing = Fast, quick and legible for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Think you can if you have some sort of medical reason. It's the internet age ffs, we'll never need to handwrite this much again in our lives...

• Advertisement

Wish we could do our leaving cert from home.

My Ideal Grades:

Irish- B2 not too fussy about this one! Haven't really looked at any of the stuff as of yet but my Oral went well and I think i'm fairly ok for it.

English- A2. Really want it. Would be my pride and joy if I managed it tbh. Have to learn a lot more Hamlet if i'm gonna get it though.

Maths- B2. Aghhh. Got a B3 in the Mocks so i'm hoping for a grade higher anyway! Haven't done anything for it really but hopefully i'll get my ass back into gear.

French- B2. Would absolutely die for this. If the Comprehensions are nice and I score well in them I could just get it! Here's hoping

Music- A2. Really, really want this one. Everything i've handed up lately for Composing has been high A1's and the occasional B1 so I hope to god I get this! I've a 5 day gap for Economics and Music, so once I get a **** load of Listening done in this time I should get this hopefully! Practical was very good, not flawless but very good all the same.

Business- A1. Nothing else is acceptable. Seriously. If I go below an A1 I might die. Have never gotten less than A1 in Business, ever. If it happens during the Leaving, i'll actually just give up on life. Did 4 Mocks and got high A1's in each of them so here's hoping!

Geography- A2. Would love to get it, but I think i've left it fairly late to learn a lot of the stuff. Haven't studied at all since Sunday night and Grad Mass is tomorrow, thinking of getting up fairly early tomorrow morning and craming the entire Physical/Regional sections into my brain.

Economics- A2. Would be delighted to get this. Got an A2 in the Mock so i'm hoping I don't drop. Have become somewhat complacent with this over the last while, but then again i'm hoping the 5 day gap I have for this and Music will help me get back up to the A standard again.

All together, If I got this i'd end up with a total of 540 which I would actually die for! My proper study is starting back up again tomorrow, and I WILL get this if I study my absolute ass off for the next 13 days. Hopefully!

There is one person in my year online on facebook. I think people are actually...studying?

Namlub wrote: »
    There is one person in my year online on facebook. I think people are actually...studying?

I can pretend I'm in your year so there'll be two people.

:cool:

I wish you were in my year Rezzy <3

Namlub wrote: »
    I wish you were in my year Rezzy <3

Awh that's so sweet <3

(considering how much of a jerk I tend to be. But I'm sure it motivates people.)

The 2010 French paper must be the easiest paper I've ever seen. It's just so so much easier compared to older years, even the listening was a piece of cake and I'm not even that good at it!
    Here's hoping for a nice french paper <3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Wesc. wrote: »
    I do the good old questions 1-5 and 10. The great thing is, you can almost full marks for questions 3,4,5 and 10 because they're all pretty much the same method over and over again. Q1 can be tricky but it's a nice question in general I find, but I am hopeless at doing the v/t graphs and you have to prove something equals something else in loads of letters :o Only thing is question 2 can either but lovely or an absolute bitch :pac: It's usually fine for me though... watch collisions and resultant this year!
    if you're doing another question I'd go for moments of inertia, proofs come in part a every year which is an easy 20 marks and the methods to solve the question are pretty much the same all the time according to my friend.

You're studying 6? No backup? I'm not sure, should I be only studying 6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

I can use a computer for all my exams but honestly I only use it for english, with papers such as biology, physics, maths, french, LCVP (To an extent) It only wastes time.

Also - funny story, had my grad mass yesterday and I managed to catch a bug that day. I was on the stage saying a "Prayer of the Faithful" when I had to run out the door to get sick :(. I couldn't go out on my grad night then either. It was horrible. :(

• Advertisement

You're studying 6? No backup? I'm not sure, should I be only studying 6?

Well that's just my opinion, it's better to do that little bit more in each of your 6 to devoting a lot more time to another question. But hey everyone's different so you don't have to copy what I do! But with 2 weeks left, it's probably best to nail those 6 questions now rather putting hours of extra work into another.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement