Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do all my house plants die after around 12 months?

Options
  • 10-04-2012 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

I like to have a large potted plant or two inside my apartment. Since I moved in here, I've bought 5 plants, including Yuccas, Corn Palm (Dracaena) and Pachira (has a braided stem). I have always bought plants that are meant to be tolerant to a lack of direct sunlight as I can't give them that where I locate them in the room. The apartment is south facing and gets good direct sunlight until about 2pm every day....after that it fades somewhat as the sun moves westward. I didn't overwater (especially with the Yuccas), or underwater them and fed with that baby bio stuff from time to time........but obviously I'm doing something very wrong......I find myself today chucking out another 2 plants that cost me €60 this time last year.

Just wondering am I missing something?

Cheers.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

gebbel wrote: »
    I like to have a large potted plant or two inside my apartment. Since I moved in here, I've bought 5 plants, including Yuccas, Corn Palm (Dracaena) and Pachira (has a braided stem). I have always bought plants that are meant to be tolerant to a lack of direct sunlight as I can't give them that where I locate them in the room. The apartment is south facing and gets good direct sunlight until about 2pm every day....after that it fades somewhat as the sun moves westward. I didn't overwater (especially with the Yuccas), or underwater them and fed with that baby bio stuff from time to time........but obviously I'm doing something very wrong......I find myself today chucking out another 2 plants that cost me €60 this time last year.

Just wondering am I missing something?

Cheers.
    If you go to Ikea then you will get 3-4 foot tall Kentia Palm,Devils Ivy and Yucca plants for 15-20 euro each.;)

These plants all like humid conditiions,so some water vapour needs to be in the air.A jug of water placed near a radiator and the plants is a good trick.

You also need to mist the leaves regulary too with "tepid" water.Not too cold and not too hot.

The plants roots should be checked too,as the plants wont survive long if rootbound.If the roots are wrapped around each other and wrapped around the outside of the soil,then its time to fit a bigger pot.

I transplanted all my Kentia Palms,Yuccas and Devils Ivys to bigger square pots and mist them down on a regular basis,and all are absolutely flying.I also use caplllary matting for the plants too (7 euro for 2 meters of it in Aldi.)

Hope this helps.:)

PS-All my indoor plants are from Ikea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Thanks for the above tip Paddy. Anything I've ever grown has been safer living against the elements than it has been living with me :D

I'll try the trick you mentioned with the jug of water, makes sense :)

Advertisement