Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheel nuts won't come off!!!

• 10-04-2012 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Long story short. Got a puncture the other day. Tried to take wheel off. No luck and ended up damaging the wheel brace (rounded the edges on it). Called insurance company who sent out breakdown company and got wheel off. So i bought a new wheel brace today and tried taking another wheel off to practice haha. Still no joy. Absolutely livid coz i'm well used to changing wheels on past cars no problem at all. What am i supposed to do if i get another puncture and can't loosen the wheel nuts....

It's a 05 vectra if that matters

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Give the nuts a hard wallop with a hammer and that should loosen them up!

Did you buy an extendable wheel brace or a smelly standard ole yoke? The extendable ones are the right shot.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/21-EXTENDABLE-17-19-mm-WHEEL-TELESCOPIC-VAN-TRUCK-LORRY-CAR-BRACE-SOCKET-WRENCH-/110747846477?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item19c916074d#ht_500wt_1054

Anyway, best thing to do if wander down to your local tyre fitter and explain your predicament, they'll open up the nuts with the air wrench for you and you can tighten them up manually :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Hi folks,

Long story short. Got a puncture the other day. Tried to take wheel off. No luck and ended up damaging the wheel brace (rounded the edges on it). Called insurance company who sent out breakdown company and got wheel off. So i bought a new wheel brace today and tried taking another wheel off to practice haha. Still no joy. Absolutely livid coz i'm well used to changing wheels on past cars no problem at all. What am i supposed to do if i get another puncture and can't loosen the wheel nuts....

What kind of wheel brace did you get? The breakdown guy probably had a good long breaker bar and proper 17mm socket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Hi folks,

Jumping on the end of the brace sometimes works. Be careful, though. The best thing is to get an iron pipe to go around the brace and increase the leverage.
    Get a tyre shop to loosen all the nuts and tighten them just using the wheelbrace to ensure you can loosen them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Sounds like the wheels haven't been taken off in years. Little squirt of WD40 on the nuts would do no harm would it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Any chance the brave is getting wrecked by a security nut? (don't know vectra's).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Buy a breaker bar and keep it in the boot. So much easier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

When you do get them off stick a bit of copper grease on the threads before tightening. you wont have the same problem again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭voteforpedro

antodeco wrote: »

Tried that:(
    RoverJames wrote: »
    Did you buy an extendable wheel brace or a smelly standard ole yoke? The extendable ones are the right shot.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/21-EXTENDABLE-17-19-mm-WHEEL-TELESCOPIC-VAN-TRUCK-LORRY-CAR-BRACE-SOCKET-WRENCH-/110747846477?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item19c916074d#ht_500wt_1054

Anyway, best thing to do if wander down to your local tyre fitter and explain your predicament, they'll open up the nuts with the air wrench for you and you can tighten them up manually :)

Can anyone recommend a good brand of wheel brace?
    johnayo wrote: »
    What kind of wheel brace did you get? The breakdown guy probably had a good long breaker bar and proper 17mm socket.

I bought one that has 4 different sized sockets on it (a cross). Its a piece of .....

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Any chance the brave is getting wrecked by a security nut? (don't know vectra's).

nope no lock nuts on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭deandean

The big problem with wheelnuts is the frickin idiots is the tyre shops who WRING on the nuts in the first place.

I had a horrid experience with a place on the quay in Wexford, I bought 2 new tyres for the NCT, the DECEIVING IDIOT there fitted a 185 on one side and a 195 on the other side, car failed NCT as a result. There was no way I could get the 195 off to fit the spare. I bought a + wheelbrace and broke it! Eventually I got the wheel off with a 1" socket set and 4' long pipe, I must've nearly broke the stud.

Anyways, when changing wheels now I always use a torque wrench, the correct torque is about 135Nm and there is absolutely no problem whatsoever getting wheel nuts off that have been correctly torqued.

So I blame the tyre depots almost 100%. They need to TRAIN their employees in how to under-torque wheel nuts with the impact wrench, then torque them up with a trque wrench appropriately set.

/Rant

• Advertisement

Can anyone recommend a good brand of wheel brace?

I have a draper extendable one, I have found it fine and used it on a good few cars :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't think it's good practice to put copper grease on threads is it?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Where are you based? I've an wrench gun and can try getting them off for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

This is a bit extreme but I did it out in the middle of nowhere when i couldn't get the wheel nuts off. The wheel brace was long enough so that it touched the ground on the lower wheel nuts.

Put the brace on the nut, then drive very slowly forward if the wheel is on the right and in reverse if its on the left, the power of the car will cause the brace to turn and loosen the nut. Extreme but it works. ;)

Agreed that the best solution is to go to a tyre fitters and get them to loosen the nuts and then tighten them at the correct torque or do it yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

have to agree with the breaker bar...i jumped on the wheel brace, etc..used one of the extendable wheel brace to no avail..

Breaker bar had it off in seconds..might be an idea to keep a cheap rubber mallet in the boot..the alloy can bind it self to the hub sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

The old reliable wd40 worth a shot here at all?

Caliden wrote: »
    The old reliable wd40 worth a shot here at all?

I can't see WD40 getting to where it's needed here and it's not something I'd want on wheel nuts or threads :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

deandean wrote: »
    Anyways, when changing wheels now I always use a torque wrench, the correct torque is about 135Nm and there is absolutely no problem whatsoever getting wheel nuts off that have been correctly torqued.

So I blame the tyre depots almost 100%. They need to TRAIN their employees in how to under-torque wheel nuts with the impact wrench, then torque them up with a trque wrench appropriately set.

/Rant
    Agreed...I always tighten mine using a torque wrench....it is surprising just how "loose" the nuts should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I always tighten wheel nuts with an upwards pull, wheelbrace unextended. I know I can apply more presure downwards, I never have a problem removing wheelnuts I've tightened myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

RoverJames wrote: »
    I can't see WD40 getting to where it's needed here and it's not something I'd want on wheel nuts or threads :)

It will. Give it time and don't skimp on it. Kerosene is a great penetrating fluid too, a bit cheaper then WD40

I also have a sorta hammer chisel thing with a half inch drive on the end of it which is solely designed to "shock" tough nuts into submission.

I would sooner use the above methods rather then the breaker bar which can often round nuts and leave bit of nut in the hub.

Ohh and when putting them back on, a tiny bit of grease on the threads does not hurt. Once there torqued up your fine. However it makes it far easier to remove them at the side of the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I don't think it's good practice to put copper grease on threads is it?

No, was once told never to grease the threads.
    One solution was graphite powder.
    antodeco wrote: »

Extremely painful I should imagine.:p

have to agree with the breaker bar...i jumped on the wheel brace, etc..used one of the extendable wheel brace to no avail..

Breaker bar had it off in seconds..might be an idea to keep a cheap rubber mallet in the boot..the alloy can bind it self to the hub sometimes.

If i buy a breaker bar and socket do i need a wheel brace to tighten them again or does this do the same job? sorry if it's a stupid question:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

yep it'll be good for same job ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭piston

I think you have a combination of two problems. Garages over-tighten wheelnuts (I never let a tyre centre fit my wheels for me) and most standard fit wheel braces are purely for decorative purposes and should be thrown away and replaced with a quality wheelbrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

lidl or aldi used to do extendable wheel braces.. lidl, now I think, for about a tenner. My dad buys them like they're going out of fashion

Thanks for all the replies!! Can anyone recommend a good brand to buy? I really don't want to buy another p o s

Advertisement