Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain Ash Plantation

• 10-04-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hey, I'm just wondering how many mountain ash trees should be planted per acre or per square metre given that each tree is about 1 inch in diameter and 4.5 feet tall when planted?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

whats the purpose of planting? a spacing of 2 x 1.5 m or 2 x 2m would be normal. if its for firewood you'd be better go 2 x .75m

(mountain ash is the last thing i would dream of planting by the way)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

The trees you have seem to be very big and may not have a great survival rate or just sit there. Always best to plant small whips, less expensive, easier to do and better survival rates.

Do you intend to prop the trees until they settle in?

Cant say I've seen a mountain ash plantation before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Mountain ash plantation! :eek:

I hope you planted for pleasure, not business :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

Was hoping someone else would ask, but they haven't, so here goes.

What's the issue with mountain ash ?? :o

What's the issue with mountain ash ?? :o

It doesn't give any economic return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

Ahh, ok, so the issue is more with the word plantation than with mountain ash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Ettellig

Hey, I'm just wondering how many mountain ash trees should be planted per acre or per square metre given that each tree is about 1 inch in diameter and 4.5 feet tall when planted?

Thanks
    It's a free country and you can plant what you like I suppose. Good thing is that your plantation will become a seed bank to spread Rowan all over the place and even maybe allow it to gain a foothold in thinned plantations/forests. Best of luck!

Ettellig wrote: »
    It's a free country and you can plant what you like I suppose. Good thing is that your plantation will become a seed bank to spread Rowan all over the place and even maybe allow it to gain a foothold in thinned plantations/forests. Best of luck!

You could plant thistles too and hope the same!

Except you probably wouldn't get a grant for the thistles. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Ettellig

But think of the biodiversity dividend...the Forest Service Inspector would wet his pants with delight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

And the birdies would thank you in the autumn for the extra delightful seed source! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

just to clarify mountain ash is not on the approved species list and therefore isnt eligible for grant aid

just to clarify mountain ash is not on the approved species list and therefore isnt eligible for grant aid

Indeed. Thistles either. ;)

Advertisement