Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is using bluetooth headsets in public really dumb?

• 10-04-2012 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭

on the way into work at around 10am this morning and a woman had her phone stolen. a guy on a bike grabbed her phone as she was talking to someone. This was at temple bar.

Despite her loud screams the guy flew off before anyone could notice. The thing was when i moved on 5 more people all women were on the phone and you could spot this a mile away!

I heard people before saying people saying people who use headsets including bluetooth look like tools. Given the risks in people having the phone stolen is using a headset so much a dumb thing to do or should they just keep the phones hidden when out on the street?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

What if a really cool skateboarder with gnarly moves, whips by an aul one with the bluetooth headset on....and just rips it off her ear and olys away without a care in the World?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

It's dumb because people speaking on bluetooth on the street confuse me and make me think they're talking to me, so I sometimes say hello back to them then look awkward when I realise they weren't talking to me and I try to pretend I didn't say anything. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I'm sure there all sorts of positive health implications from wearing them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

Saw a guy using two large bluetooth headsets simultaneously, to be honest he looked like a tool of an extreme level with stupid ears. They're fine as long as they are used the way they should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

I don't usually spend a lot of time considering people in the street in terms of what they wear etc; but I must admit, I think to myself "Tosser" everytime I see someone using a Bluetooth!! I have no idea why, I have never known anyone who uses one, it's just the look of the thing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Saw a guy using two large bluetooth headsets simultaneously, to be honest he looked like a tool of an extreme level with stupid ears. They're fine as long as they are used the way they should be.

"NO SORRY, I'M TALKING TO SOMEONE ON THE OTHER LINE"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

It's dumb when you hear someone someone boasting loudly on the phone in an area where there is no reception....:D
    Forgive me neighbour for mentioning that....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

thomasj wrote: »
    on the way into work at around 10am this morning and a woman had her phone stolen. a guy on a bike grabbed her phone as she was talking to someone. This was at temple bar.

Despite her loud screams the guy flew off before anyone could notice. The thing was when i moved on 5 more people all women were on the phone and you could spot this a mile away!

I heard people before saying people saying people who use headsets including bluetooth look like tools. Given the risks in people having the phone stolen is using a headset so much a dumb thing to do or should they just keep the phones hidden when out on the street?

Well according to your story it must be if you're a woman... :cool: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Where else would you use them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭thomasj

thomasj wrote: »

Well according to your story it must be if you're a woman... :cool: :pac:

I dont why i mentioned that just reposting my observations went into overdrive! :pac: completely irrelevant of course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Surely it would just be easier not to own a phone, in case it might be robbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Where To wrote: »
    Where else would you use them?

While driving your car for one..... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

it may look stupid but nowhere near as bad as those eejits that clip their phone to their belt.

i hate those people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

It was funny in the late 90's when the corded headsets for mobile phones came around

You'd see some fcuker mouthing off to himself in the middle of a train station and he was the only one doing it. The headsets also just look like an earphone so less conspicuous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

It's dumb because people speaking on bluetooth on the street confuse me and make me think they're talking to me, so I sometimes say hello back to them then look awkward when I realise they weren't talking to me and I try to pretend I didn't say anything. :(

Was just going to post the exact same thing. I nearly had a conversation with someone not realising they had one of these in, so embarrasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Use a bluetooth receiver that you plug ordinary headphones into...nobody is any the wiser :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

0mega wrote: »
    Was just going to post the exact same thing. I nearly had a conversation with someone not realising they had one of these in, so embarrasing.

I go round saying hello to strange people and when they say hello back I point at my ear. Cue hilarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

The best way to avoid having a mobile stolen is to adopt the Padraig Nally technique, only make calls while in the comfort of your own shed with a loaded shotgun close to hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Was he talking to himself? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I am looking for Bluetooth noise cancellation headphones with volume control. I am willing to pay up to 300 for a quality set, has anyone any pointers.

I tried google but nothing, but I am sure they exist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement