Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for responding to threats

Options
  • 10-04-2012 8:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

I have not been through this process before so if I am doing it wrong please forgive.

A poster stated that I (personally) "should be removed not only from boards but from society as well".

Dr Bolloko was the moderator.

He took no action whatsoever about that personal attack; but when I respond with "That seems to be a threat. What can I say? F**** u ***" I got a five day ban from the entire After Hours forum - where I was engaged on several political threads.

The aim of my attacker was to silence a particular line of argument. With the help of the Moderator he has achieved exactly that.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Also, it is near impossible to cite references with having to log on and off.

The thread was: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78029035#post78029035, "Time to bow before the queen?"

So, this is what bwatson said in response to a post of mine:
    Mods - This is the most disgusting, offensive, evil post I have ever had the displeasure of reading on this message board. If this man thinks the massacre of tens of thousands is something to celebrate, not only should he be removed from the message board but society in general.

No action was taken by Dr Bolloko.

I responded as outlined above.

As it will be two days since the ban this evening I wish to move to the next stage asap.

How do I do that?

"Time to bow before the queen?"
    - is the name of the thread

"After Hours"
    - is the forum. I can't get that link to work :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Wild Bill wrote: »
    I can't get that link to work:mad:

Fixed.

Khannie wrote: »
    Fixed.

Well thanks for that! But I still need to log out to see it.

The only thing ongoing in this process that I can detect is that I'm here on this wee thread of my own, basically talking to myself. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

The only thing ongoing in this process that I can detect is that I'm here on this wee thread of my own, basically talking to myself. :(
    CMods, like Mods, are voluntary, and you were unfortunate enough to get yourself banned during the Easter break when I was away.
    I have not been through this process before so if I am doing it wrong please forgive.

A poster stated that I (personally) "should be removed not only from boards but from society as well".

Dr Bolloko was the moderator.

He took no action whatsoever about that personal attack; but when I respond with "That seems to be a threat. What can I say? F**** u ***" I got a five day ban from the entire After Hours forum - where I was engaged on several political threads.

The aim of my attacker was to silence a particular line of argument. With the help of the Moderator he has achieved exactly that.
    A threat? No.

Less than courteous and inflammatory? Yes, perhaps.

However, having waded through that thread (with great pain, I might add, the pain of an actual historian forced to witness history being savaged and misused by BOTH sides as political propaganda, with little trace of balance to be seen!) I see plenty of inflammatory statements and narrow-minded hotheadedness on all sides ... including some of your earlier posts, and including the one to which the poster responded.

So ... as far as I am concerned, thus far all are equally guilty and equally innocent ... about the only bit of balance in the latter part of that thread, tbh.

You then chose to take it a step further, to outright personal abuse.

And you were banned, and I see no reason to argue with that decision.

Ban upheld.

• Advertisement

CMods, like Mods, are voluntary, and you were unfortunate enough to get yourself banned during the Easter break when I was away.

A threat? No.

Less than courteous and inflammatory? Yes, perhaps.

However, having waded through that thread (with great pain, I might add, the pain of an actual historian forced to witness history being savaged and misused by BOTH sides as political propaganda, with little trace of balance to be seen!) I see plenty of inflammatory statements and narrow-minded hotheadedness on all sides ... including some of your earlier posts, and including the one to which the poster responded.

So ... as far as I am concerned, thus far all are equally guilty and equally innocent ... about the only bit of balance in the latter part of that thread, tbh.

You then chose to take it a step further, to outright personal abuse.

And you were banned, and I see no reason to argue with that decision.

Ban upheld.

OK.

So can I take it that I can now call for the removal from society and boards of any poster whose views I find inflammatory?

I presume I can quote you on this - when the occasion arises?

And whatever about hot-hotheadedness (guilty) I would ask you to withdraw the statement thatI made any "narrow-minded" posts.

Colonists who carve out land by murder and ethnic cleansing are fair game in any era in any location.

Successful extermination of such colonists (rare enough in history) is not something we should be slow to celebrate.

There is no law against this view; though as I pointed there are laws against famine/genocide denial in EU countries (which I don't support, but merely mention to provide some context and some moral relativity).

It appears to me that the original ban and your upholding of it may be related more to your political dislike of this viewpoint than any objective assessment of the relative "abusiveness" of the comments.

Of course I could be wrong.

Regarding the rather smug
    an actual historian forced to witness history being savaged and misused by BOTH sides as political propaganda

there are more than "two sides" to this issue; more than two issues on that thread.

It is a complex interaction of competing and intersecting perspectives, worldviews engaged in by posters of differing levels of knowledge. intelligence and ability to express themselves.

To characterize the thread as you do seems unworthy of a professional historian - if, as a scientist and philosopher, I may be allowed say so.

:mad:

Advertisement