Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COMPARITIVE QUESTIONS!!

• 10-04-2012 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Im severly stressing out! for my comparative we done how many miles to babylon, inside im dancing and dancing at lughnasa! i dont know what to compare for a gvv question! as in what paragraphs to follow and such! help please :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I am in the same situation tbh :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I've done those comparatives too, I've done fairly well in them.
    The general vision is layed out like:

1.Opening
    2. Plot
    3. Relationships
    4. Society - Poverty , wealth(class), religion/belief system
    5. Ending
    6. Language & Imagery

How Many Miles to Babylon - Overly of a pessimistic vision
    Dancing In Lughnasa - Overly of pessimistic vision but with some moments of laughter the text isn't entirely dark.
    Inside I'm Dancing - Overly of a optimistic vision and there is hope for Michael even with the loss of Rory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

I've done those comparatives too, I've done fairly well in them.
    The general vision is layed out like:

1.Opening
    2. Plot
    3. Relationships
    4. Society - Poverty , wealth(class), religion/belief system
    5. Ending
    6. Language & Imagery

How Many Miles to Babylon - Overly of a pessimistic vision
    Dancing In Lughnasa - Overly of pessimistic vision but with some moments of laughter the text isn't entirely dark.
    Inside I'm Dancing - Overly of a optimistic vision and there is hope for Michael even with the loss of Rory.
    I kind of use the same outline as you:
    1. Explain GvvP
    2. Introduce texts
    3. Internal relationships
    4. External Relationships
    5. Key moments.
    6. Endings
    7. Conclusion.

Use a lot of words such as 'similarly', 'in contrast to', 'unlike' etc. Quotes can be fairly handy too when you're trying to emphasise a point too! My all time favourite 'Free the Carrigmore fúcking one!' :p Inside I'm dancing is actually an alright movie :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

1. Explain GvvP
    2. Introduce texts
    5. Key moments.
    6. Endings
    7. Conclusion.

Use a lot of words such as 'similarly', 'in contrast to', 'unlike' etc. Quotes can be fairly handy too when you're trying to emphasise a point too! My all time favourite 'Free the Carrigmore fúcking one!' :p Inside I'm dancing is actually an alright movie :pac:

I remember someone posting in a thread like this that if you make 21 points that use 'in contrast to', 'similarly', 'unlike' and stuff like that, you'll get full marks (assuming the overall essay is good). I aim to make 25 of those points using your essay structure, then if I do well in my Overall, I'm sorted :D I got 67/70 in my Mock comparative doing it like that, so hopefully that helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

1. Explain GvvP
    2. Introduce texts
    5. Key moments.
    6. Endings
    7. Conclusion.

Yeah I do that exact layout. But I did it in the mocks and ended up writing 7 pages! How long would you, or indeed anyone else, write that essay!? I'm trying to work on my timing in English and it just takes so long!

• Advertisement

Wesc. wrote: »
    Yeah I do that exact layout. But I did it in the mocks and ended up writing 7 pages! How long would you, or indeed anyone else, write that essay!? I'm trying to work on my timing in English and it just takes so long!
    Yeah mine was 7 pages got nearly full marks, revamped it over the break to make it hopefully a full mark answer :p it's now 8 pages though! I can write pretty damn fast though so not too worried :)

Heres list of words for contrast and comparison.
    So you can vary the words you are using.
    I have a list of words to use written down for both the contrast and comparison.
    I got most of them from these websites very useful :).

http://www.virtualsalt.com/transits.htm

http://urbandreams.ousd.k12.ca.us/lessonplans/extended/9/garland/docs/Compare_Contrast_Intro.pdf

1. Explain GvvP
    2. Introduce texts
    5. Key moments.
    6. Endings
    7. Conclusion.

That layout looks kind of simpler :). The layout my teacher gave us is good but I end up spending ages writing up the answer .I think they're both good though , sometimes I get mixed up in the relationships going into too much detail. I might try this layout and see how it goes :).

That layout looks kind of simpler :). The layout my teacher gave us is good but I end up spending ages writing up the answer .I think they're both good though , sometimes I get mixed up in the relationships going into too much detail. I might try this layout and see how it goes :).

I find it fairly easy to follow anyway! Still have to start preparing Theme or Issue :pac: anyone done it yet? Wanna gimme a sneaky peak at your layout? :p:p

I find it fairly easy to follow anyway! Still have to start preparing Theme or Issue :pac: anyone done it yet? Wanna gimme a sneaky peak at your layout? :p:p

I think most of the time I've skipped the language & imagery as it's been quite long.

For the Theme or Issue we use friendship/relationships. There might be another layout too this one can be kinda long.

1. Backgrounds of the protagonists
    2. What glues them together
    3. How the relationships progress
    4. Characters of protagonists
    5. Trust or not
    6. External factors that influence the relationship
    7. How the relationship is at the end

• Advertisement

I think most of the time I've skipped the language & imagery as it's been quite long.

For the Theme or Issue we use friendship/relationships. There might be another layout too this one can be kinda long.

1. Backgrounds of the protagonists
    2. What glues them together
    3. How the relationships progress
    4. Characters of protagonists
    5. Trust or not
    6. External factors that influence the relationship
    7. How the relationship is at the end
    Seems pretty good! What do you mean by trust or not? Between the two in the relationship or what? How did you go about discussing it? :p

Seems pretty good! What do you mean by trust or not? Between the two in the relationship or what? How did you go about discussing it? :p

Yeah like between the two in the friendship/relationship you talk about if it's a trusting relationship or if it's not.
    Like you'd say Alec & Jerry has a trusting relationship as they both admit to being virgins etc. then similarly in Inside I'm Dancing Michael and Rory's friendship is trusting and also share secrets with Michael telling Rory his father dumped him in that home . Unlike in Lughnasa where Chris does not trust Gerry and he appears occasionally in the play.

I usually try and talk about only one friendship/relationship when I've spoken about more than one I end up writing too much.

Advertisement