Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Idioms

• 10-04-2012 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭

Salut a tous :cool:

So I'm trying to to put together a list of some French idioms to casually drop into the oral conversation, but I feel like a lot of the ones I find on the internet are really obscure and the examiner won't know what I'm talking about so...anyone have any good/useful ones to share?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Namlub wrote: »
    Someone post in the thread I made, it's lonely
    je m’en fiche/fous! ;)
    (it means i dont give a damn but i'm not sure if its more like 'i dont give a fu(k, might not be appropriate!)

À toute chose malheur est bon - every cloud has a silver lining

Autres temps, autres mœurs.
    Times change.
    “Other times, other customs.”

Un clou chasse l’autre.
    Life goes on.
    “One nail chases the other.”

Il faut casser le noyau pour avoir l’amande.
    No pain no gain.
    “You need to break the shell to have the almond.”

Il faut qu’une porte soit ouverte ou fermée.
    There can be no middle course.
    “A door must be open or closed.”

Impossible n’est pas français.
    There is no such word as “can’t.”
    “Impossible isn’t French.”

Les jours se suivent et ne se ressemblent pas.
    There’s no telling what tomorrow will bring.
    “The days follow each other and don’t look alike.”

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
    When it rains, it pours!
    “Misfortune never comes alone.”

Tant va la cruche à l’eau qu’à la fin elle se casse.
    Enough is enough.
    “So often the pitcher goes to the water that in the end it breaks.”

Qui vivra verra.
    What will be will be. / Time will tell.
    “He who lives will see.”

My teacher said she asked a French person and they're all okay - learned them the night before my mock and got an A1, so yeah, I think you'll be fine with these :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Bonjour!

Does 'voir la vie en rose' count as an idiom? :confused

Edit: Nevermind...

How about:

'Tout est bien qui fini bien.'
    (All's well that ends well.')

Togepi wrote: »
    Bonjour!

Does 'voir la vie en rose' count as an idiom? :confused:
    Il faut voir la vie en rose is how you say it I think - My friend wrote that and our teacher corrected him :)
    (dunno if there should be a que there or not :confused:)

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Il faut voir la vie en rose is how you say it I think - My friend wrote that and our teacher corrected him :)
    (dunno if there should be a que there or not :confused:)

There's no need for a que, you could say 'il faut qu'on voit la vie en rose' instead though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

je m’en fiche/fous! ;)
    (it means i dont give a damn but i'm not sure if its more like 'i dont give a fu(k, might not be appropriate!)

Ta gueule! :mad:

Found a good one that's quite common apprently - Il ne faut pas chercher midi à quatorze heures (Don't complicate things)

• Advertisement

There's no need for a que, you could say 'il faut qu'on voit la vie en rose' instead though. :)
    Oh yeah thats what I meant :P Subjunctive though...would it not maybe be qu'on voye? like, voyons, knock off the ons, add an e? :o I havent done the subjunctive yet sooooo yeah I'm probably wrong but still :P

Oh yeah thats what I meant :P Subjunctive though...would it not maybe be qu'on voye? like, voyons, knock off the ons, add an e? :o I havent done the subjunctive yet sooooo yeah I'm probably wrong but still :P

I'm not very good on my subjunctive of voir so I just left it as it was, but you take it from the ils part not the nous part anyway. ;)

It'd be 'qu'on voie' I think :)

'Je souhaite que je puisse y rétourner un jour' is one of the only full sentences with the subjunctive I know, have to fit it in somewhere

I'm not very good on my subjunctive of voir so I just left it as it was, but you take it from the ils part not the nous part anyway. ;)
    Almost sure its the same stem anyway :P
    It'd be 'qu'on voie' I think :)

'Je souhaite que je puisse y rétourner un jour' is one of the only full sentences with the subjunctive I know, have to fit it in somewhere
    C'est la moins qu'on puisse dire - the least one can say

Some of my idioms have subjunctives too, and a really helpful person (presumably a teacher) posted a list of things that trigger the subjunctive always, really handy to know! Il faut que is probably the best, and you can always put a ne in too, just to show you know the ne expletif...even if you dont. :cool:

I have a few nice subjunctive phrases at the ready for next week. :D

Tip: Just use 'bien que je sois' (although I am - eg. hard-working, clever, etc.) and put whatever you want after it for a nice easy subjunctive. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I could be mistaken, but shouldn't it be "il faut qu'on voie la vie en rose" ? :confused:

Edit: nevermind, it's already been said

I could be mistaken, but shouldn't it be "il faut qu'on voie la vie en rose" ? :confused:

Ah, yeah you're right. (I think I've been corrected a couple of times now!) :P I don't know the subjunctive of voir very well at all, so I just left it in the present. At least it sounds the same for the orals anyway. :D

Another idiom I found today - en voir de dures - to have it rough. eg. 'Nous en avons vu de dures quand ma mère était au chômage.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

I have a few nice subjunctive phrases at the ready for next week. :D

Tip: Just use 'bien que je sois' (although I am - eg. hard-working, clever, etc.) and put whatever you want after it for a nice easy subjunctive. :)

Loving that one :D That, along with 'Il faut que' is going to make up basically all of my use of the subjunctive in the oral haha

dont forget avant que! maybe even 'il faut que j'aie les points pour mon cours avant que je sois heureux' :P

dunno if j'aie is right coz yeah, we havent done it yet :rolleyes: is voir irregular for subjunctive or do i just have the wrong conjugation rules? I thought it was take nous, remove ons and add endings :/

I'd check but we dont use a book... :pac:

Loving that one :D That, along with 'Il faut que' is going to make up basically all of my use of the subjunctive in the oral haha

Same, those two are life-savers! :D You can even throw in a sneaky 'il est nécessaire que' if you're afraid you'll overuse 'il faut que'. ;)

@Patchy~ When we learned the subjunctive we were told the best way to form it is to take the stem from ils, but most books say use the nous form. I don't think voir is irregular, as far as I know it's just like boire.

dont forget avant que! maybe even 'il faut que j'aie les points pour mon cours avant que je sois heureux' :P

dunno if j'aie is right coz yeah, we havent done it yet :rolleyes: is voir irregular for subjunctive or do i just have the wrong conjugation rules? I thought it was take nous, remove ons and add endings :/

I'd check but we dont use a book... :pac:

J'aie is right :) Couldn't ya just say 'il me faut avoir les points pour mon cours avant que je sois heureux'? Simplify it down to just one part of a subjunctive and reduce the chances of f**king it up haha. I've the subjunctive endings of voir here, it's basically regular except ye change the 'y' to an 'i'.
    -je voie
    -tu voies
    -il voie
    -nous voyions
    -vous voyiez
    -ils voient

Same, those two are life-savers! :D You can even throw in a sneaky 'il est nécessaire que' if you're afraid you'll overuse 'il faut que'. ;)

Handy :D Thingy though, why is 'il faut que je etc' subjunctive but 'il me faut etc' isn't? Confusing stuff!

Handy :D Thingy though, why is 'il faut que je etc' subjunctive but 'il me faut etc' isn't? Confusing stuff!

I've no idea. I'd never considered using falloir like that. :eek:

Can you even use falloir that way? :eek: il me faut...its me necessary? :P ah true but two subjunctives is like, super impressive :P

• Advertisement

I tend to say 'Il faut que j'obtienne assez de points pour mon cours' rather than j'aie because I don't like the subjunctive form of avoir. I'm weird like that...

Anyho, bruler la mèche de deux côtés - To burn the candle at both ends.
    Je brule la mèche de deux côtés en ce moment, et je suis épuisée

Yeah dudes :D It's unreal confusing the first time you read it 'cos you're just like 'It's.. me... required?' :confused: But eventually it gets really easy, and it's really easy to say too because the words are so short! It's nice and easy in the past and future too. 'Il m'a fallu' and 'Il me faudrai' :) Bingo :D maybe yese'll find it useful in the oral!

Does anyone know if phrases like 'Ce soir la', 'Ce jour la', 'Ce semaine la' make sense? I think they roughly mean 'On that night', 'On that day' etc. They'd be really handy 'cos you could throw them in to your sentences to dress them up a wee bit. Par example, 'Ce soir la, j'avais deja allé a la supermarché deux fois pour acheter du vin et donc j'ai voulu rester a la maison.' Yis should check this thing out, it's pretty handy. La plupart des verbes et des mots en sont tres informal, peut-etre un petit peu trop informal pour l'epreuve orale, mais ils peuvent etre utile encore. J'ai trouvé un bonne verbe la: Bicher! On l'utilise pour dire que l'on est heureux avec soi-meme. :D Par example, "J'ai biché car j'ai gagné six cent points en ma Leaving Certificate." ;)

I tend to say 'Il faut que j'obtienne assez de points pour mon cours' rather than j'aie because I don't like the subjunctive form of avoir. I'm weird like that...

Anyho, bruler la mèche de deux côtés - To burn the candle at both ends.
    Je brule la mèche de deux côtés en ce moment, et je suis épuisée

Are you referencing this song? :P

Yeah, I saw the name of that video and I though it was something to do with burning mesh (err...) so I looked it up :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Just so ye know, my teacher says that the plus-que-parfait tense sounds even more impressive than the subjunctive because it's a lot more difficult to form and very very rarely used in orals! So I think ye should also try to fit a few of those in. I did in my mock when talking about my document and when I was finished the examiner said it was a really good idea to throw it in :D

Oh, and one idiom I always say to describe someone is "il/elle a un caractere de cochon"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Wesc. wrote: »
    Just so ye know, my teacher says that the plus-que-parfait tense sounds even more impressive than the subjunctive because it's a lot more difficult to form and very very rarely used in orals! So I think ye should also try to fit a few of those in. I did in my mock when talking about my document and when I was finished the examiner said it was a really good idea to throw it in :D

Oh, and one idiom I always say to describe someone is "il/elle a un caractere de cochon"!
    I've never heard of this tense :S. Would you be able to give us a simple example?

Its simple really, PF - I have no accents on my keyboard btw but it should make sense.
    Like this:
    Je suis arrive a l'ecole quand j'ai realise* que j'avais oublie mon cahier (the plus-que-parfait bit is the I HAD forgotten, its to indicate something in the past tense further back than the rest of it)

*I know the correct verb is rendre compte or something, but I forgot if its reflexive so yeah :pac:

Its the equivalent of 'i had done' in english and is translated the exact same way, simples :) only thing is etre verbs are still etre verbs, so for i had gone you'd say 'j'etais alle'

What Patchy~ said. :)

It's actually really simple. You just take a verb in the past tense:

J'ai donné - I gave

Then you change the auxiliary verb (avoir or être) to the imperfect tense. Easy! :D

J'avais donné - I had given

What Patchy~ said. :)

It's actually really simple. You just take a verb in the past tense:

J'ai donné - I gave

Then you change the auxiliary verb (avoir or être) to the imperfect tense. Easy! :D

J'avais donné - I had given

And if you want to make it even more impressive (we're getting ahead of ourselves today lads :D), you could add a 'si' clause to the start of it e.g "Si j'avais rangé la maison, ma mere serais content." ;) (If I had, it would be)

• Advertisement

We're gonna ace these orals lads. ;)

Advertisement