Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HereForaWhile.com

Options
  • 10-04-2012 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hello,

I would very much appreciate some feedback and suggestions for a website myself and a friend have developed. It can be found at www.HereForaWhile.com

We have set up a number of sample Hubs including:
    • M7 Naas to Limerick Motorway (for travel alerts, speed cameras etc)
    • Dublin Airport (mainly for taxi sharing from the airport)
    • Euro 2012 Ireland - Irish Fans on Tour (to help fellow travellers during the summer)- there's a min no of members needed on this

We've a few other test hubs listed as well which can mainly be found by typing in Dublin. Please feel free to add your own and use/test it.

The website is image free to reduce download costs particularly when roaming, hence it may be a little bland. It would be great to get feedback on how it displays on a range of mobile devices.

Much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭VMotion

Can you explain it a bit?
    Don't get the whole idea. Why do we need those hubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

I think I get the concept but hasn't technology somewhat superseded this?

You shouldn't need to search for a Hub. The phone is aware of it's own location. Isn't this just Grindr for regular folk looking for an oul chat?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭william

Thanks for taking a look at the site for us. Your time is very much appreciated.

The concept is to enable people in the same physical location (or Hub as we call it) to interact with each other. A Hub is user defined and so could be any place any where. It could be people hanging around in an airport passing time, in a Starbucks somewhere, people travelling by train on a route somewhere, people going to Croke Park for a match. All are brought together temporarily for being in the same place for a while and commenting amongst each other about what is going on. That's the social aspect to it. Where we would like people to take benefit from the site is to use it for something like sharing a taxi. 6 taxis taking 6 individuals to the same location is a good example. If the website was popular, then a post to the the Dublin Airport Hub (travel mode) saying one is looking to share a ride to Rathmines for example could save people a few bob. Ticket exchange was the other angle we put in.

I myself am hoping to use the site for the upcoming Euro 2012 as we travel around Eastern Europe. Yes, it is for a bit of chat and banter but also could be very helpful for dealing with logistics and finding last minute tickets.

We tried to keep the website as simple as possible. No requirement for an email address or validation therefore quick sign up process. Anyone can create a Hub in under 15 seconds. Searches rank Hubs by no. of people active on them.

I agree with the point on technology. However, we don't have a budget or capability for that right now. If there was interest in the site, then naturally we would develop an appropriate app for it. Re the phone being aware of its location, we considered that but felt that it wouldn't be right for us - we wanted to give users some choice as to the Hub they joined and its intended purpose.

I've set up a Hub called Website Feedback if you want to test it out.

Thanks again.

William

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You could explain it better with something like working examples.

Reconsider the logo. You should easily be able to create a low file size gif one by using just a few colours in the palette. Having a logo is a lot more important than you might think.

Also, you can offset the small logo overhead by getting your code right as there's a lot of validation errors and some bloat in the css and the html.

tricky D wrote: »
    You could explain it better with something like working examples.

Reconsider the logo. You should easily be able to create a low file size gif one by using just a few colours in the palette. Having a logo is a lot more important than you might think.

Also, you can offset the small logo overhead by getting your code right as there's a lot of validation errors and some bloat in the css and the html.

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like there still some work to do....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

This is a great idea, but it needs a critical mass of people using it to be effective and useful. Euro 2012 is a good idea to get people on board, but it'll take a lot of work.

You should approach a sponsor. redbull hubs would be a nifty campaign...

Thanks. We have taken lots of the advice here. New logo and layout.

We also implemented the auto identification of country but gave the users the option of changing it.

We also put in a Hub description feature.

The idea of a Red Bull hub would be great. Wishful thinking maybe.... but we will make the approach nevertheless.

Hi,

Me again. Would appreciate any comments you have on updated design and layout - www.hereforawhile.com

Thanks,

William

Advertisement