Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legend of Grimrock

Options
  • 10-04-2012 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭

Unlocks tomorrow and I really can't wait! I just love some of the things some indie devs are pushing out and this is one game I can't wait to get my hands on. Roll on tomorrow.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It'll unlock at 1700 GMT it seems.

Buy it on the author site and you get both a Steam key and a direct installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ChubbyHubby

Ordered this a few nights ago and can't wait to get home later. It's also getting very positive reviews, 84% on metacritic. Might even be enjoyed by people who's not clouded by the nostalgia of Dungeon Master, Choas Strikes Back, Eye of the Beholder etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Very much looking forward to this. Pre ordered weeks ago:D
    The reviews are making it out to be rock hard! I hope my Wizardry 8 playing has prepared me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Haven't seen any gameplay vids until now and I have to say it looks great. Have really been looking for a good old school dungeon crawler and this comes out of nowhere.

Will pick it up later me thinks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

wow Dungeon Master flashback

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hadn't heard of it but it took exactly 20 seconds of the video for me to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Spear wrote: »
    It'll unlock at 1700 GMT it seems.

Buy it on the author site and you get both a Steam key and a direct installer.

As well as directly supporting the developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

Installing on Steam for anyone? Still says not released. Got it off the author site the other day and glad I did, cheaper than Steam.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

blaa85 wrote: »
    Installing on Steam for anyone? Still says not released. Got it off the author site the other day and glad I did, cheaper than Steam.

Steam didn't unlock yet. But the direct download is up.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Any good? A modern Dungeon Master?

These guys need to re-make Space Hulk next.

• Advertisement

Maximilian wrote: »

After a brief few minutes earlier, it's definitely old school DM/Eye of the Beholder. Movement seemed surprisingly fluid too, but that's probably a fairly subjective thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

That game looks dreadful :P

Maximilian wrote: »

It copies a lot of the game play elements and puzzles from Dungeon Master. Definitely a very polished modern DM made with a lot of love of the old school dungeon crawler. It's also hard and i am playing on normal difficulty.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Couldn't resist. Just played it for an hour. Got flashbacks to DM etc which was great. Pretty tough too which I like. Not sure about the magic yet, haven't been able to try it out due to low skill.

I can see myself sinking hours into this and I have such a backlog of unfinished games at this point it's stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Just taking a break from this now, loving it so far! Some of the puzzles are fairly tricky.

If anyone did start the direct download version before the Steam one unlocked, you'll be pleasantly surprised to learn that they share the saved games location, and there's no compatibility issues between client editions.

Got stuck at the end of level4 last night. Then back tracked a little and found a crossbow...wish I had it sooner :) Anyone else making any progress?

On level 8 atm. Bloody hell this game is addictive. Complete time sink.

Started this last night and I love it already, it's Eye of the Beholder through and through!!

Did most of you start with the default party or make your own? I had to make my own, a party without an insectoid isen't a party at all!! :pac:

Made my own. Insectoid seemed better for mages for one reason - don't think there's one in the default line-up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I was sort of hoping there might be a turn based option.

Also there isnt any "gold" per se, and I only just noticed this, so I have been hoarding for no reason as there isnt any bloody shops :)

Am disappointed a tad too. It doesnt come anywhere near the scope of the old school crawlers.

I was hoping for something with the complexity of Wizardry 6 or 7.

Spells are sort of simple and attacks are button clicks.

Jumpy wrote: »
    Am disappointed a tad too. It doesnt come anywhere near the scope of the old school crawlers.

I was hoping for something with the complexity of Wizardry 6 or 7.

Spells are sort of simple and attacks are button clicks.

It was never going to be that way, it was always meant to be Dungeon Master/Eye of the Beholder style.

Not that I wouldn't like another classic Wizardry game myself.

Jumpy wrote: »
    I was sort of hoping there might be a turn based option.

Also there isnt any "gold" per se, and I only just noticed this, so I have been hoarding for no reason as there isnt any bloody shops :)

Shops? Did you even follow the 30 second intro that explains the storyline? :pac:

I need more time to play this, EOTB 2 is one of my favourite games of all time and this is such a good homage to the series. Has anyone finished it yet? How long of a clear time are we looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Dunno, somehow it does not tickle my curiosity.

Though I would pick it up on some of the ste sales.
    Why there were no easter sale :(. They are keeping it for summer sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

Picked this up last night to relive the old dungeon crawling days. I'm enjoying it so far, just got down to level 5. The blend of puzzles, combat and relatively limited gear is just right.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 schiz0phren1c

On my 4th party and second full play through at the moment,
    and Grimrock ROCKS!,
    its ticking all my old school EOTB,Wizardry Lands of Lore buttons(except no gold/shops in this dungeon) can't wait for the modding flood to start with people making their own Dungeons etc,
    and hope it is a MASSIVE success for the devs so that more old school classics get updated in this fashion(Imagine Wizardry 8 with this engine?!)
    Just a little note about parties-One thing thats different and seems counter intuitive to old schoolers is that Dexterity does NOT affect your ranged weapon damage,it is Strength,Dex still affects chance to hit though,seems a bit bizarre(and makes the hugely strong Minotaurs a great rogue)but there it is.
    The monsters are scary feckers in this game,
    I'll never get used to getting "ninja-spidered" at corners it scares the be-jaysus out of me every time!.

Please do not mention Wizardry and 8 in the same sentence. It never existed.

It's light on the rpg elements but Dungeon Master (and LOG) are really like 3d versions of Rogue than a "proper" rpg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Polar101

I think I'll buy it, not very expensive and seems to get good reviews. Just wondering about the monster design, the creatures look really crappy in all the pictures I've seen.. has that bothered anyone?

Advertisement