Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

heather and roundup

• 10-04-2012 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Have 25 acres of a heather moor recently fenced in. it is fairly level with a gentle slope. most of it has a shallow layer of peat. I was thinking about spraying it with roundup, power harrowing it and sowing grass seed on it. I am wondering will roundup kill the heather and if not what will.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Poor Farmer in the hills

has anybody ever tried roundup on heather?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

I've never tried it, but I'd say it will kill it.
    You could buy a small bit for the knapsack and do a test. I think it will burn it off for you.

Are you allowed to reseed heather land like that.?

Anyway bit of advice, get a soil sample done, more than likely if its peaty soil it will be extremely acidic, so it would be better to have the PH right before sowing the seed.

You can get gran lime in 50kg bags if its too wet for lime spreader. Also get your p and K right.
    If you dont do this the seeds will not thrive.

If you do that you should get grass! Costly though

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Poor Farmer in the hills

Thanks hillfarmer going to try a tank full anyway want to do something with it rather than paying big money to rent land. i think it not that bad but just has never been touched by human hands!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

word of advice

i think there are pretty strict regulations governing what you are about to do, i reckon you might need permission beforehand due to all sorts of environmental bullsh_it.

fair play for giving it a go but be careful!

Advertisement