Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Riverside Tribute - C&C Please

• 10-04-2012 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Finally picked up my first proper lens, Canon 15-85mm, so I was testing it out today. Passed this tribute to a tragic drowning while out on a run recently and had been meaning to include it in a pic. (maybe some people will find that insensitive, I'm not sure)

I'm living in amateur hour at the moment, so need all the C&C I can get, much
    appreciated :)

First one, I tried to get the railings to lead the eye, my focus point was slightly off so the bigger bear isn't tack sharp

7065537691_173d79b54e_c.jpg

6919458730_7a0a290562_c.jpg

I felt given the nature of the subject I would like to include a B&W also

7065536203_2bc7431bb5.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Ditch the B&W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Effects wrote: »
    Ditch the B&W

Is it just badly done or doesn't work with the subject?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'm curious as to why you think the subject matter requires a B+W image. It's a weak shot. The others are bit more good but it would be better if you only picked one to show, pick which one you prefer and leave it at that (one).

If I was going to try and document the incident I'd go back to the shoot and re-arrange the teddy bears so that they reflect the point better.

The pics you have look as though they're commemorating a suicide by hanging more-so than by drowning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It just all blends in together, nothing stands out at all.

humberklog wrote: »
    I'm curious as to why you think the subject matter requires a B+W image. It's a weak shot. The others are bit more good but it would be better if you only picked one to show, pick which one you prefer and leave it at that (one).

If I was going to try and document the incident I'd go back to the shoot and re-arrange the teddy bears so that they reflect the point better.

The pics you have look as though they're commemorating a suicide by hanging more-so than by drowning.

Should have been a bit clearer on the B&W comment, IMO I find certain tragic circumstances or pics symbolising them a little more powerful in B&W. Probably just a personal thing and maybe not my finest example here :o

I wouldn't really like to touch the bears - I get what you mean about the hanging though - I didn't actually cop it until my better half said it to me. The angle I took it at didn't help either.

Wasn't sure which of the two colours I preferred so I copped out and posted both :D
    Effects wrote: »
    It just all blends in together, nothing stands out at all.

I get ya, cheers for the feedback!

• Advertisement

ronanc15 wrote: »

Wasn't sure which of the two colours I preferred so I copped out and posted both :D

I know exactly what you mean...but it is falling between two stools. Kinda just gotta throw yourself into one. Even if it's the wrong one.

Outta curiousity- is that Sarsfield Bridge in Limerick City?

I know exactly what you mean...but it is falling between two stools. Kinda just gotta throw yourself into one. Even if it's the wrong one.

Outta curiousity- is that Sarsfield Bridge in Limerick City?

Cool - lesson learned!

Yeah thats Sarsfield Bridge in the background, pics are taken towards the rowing club.

I'd go with the 2nd shot but positioned slightly different to get the boat house and bridge in (through the bars- tricky enough but would give sense of place). But then again I'd definately be fiddling with those teddies too though :).

I'd go with the 2nd shot but positioned slightly different to get the boat house and bridge in (through the bars- tricky enough but would give sense of place). But then again I'd definately be fiddling with those teddies too though :).

That occurred to me on the way home too that I really only approached it from one direction....not sure why, theres way more I could have fitted in :confused:

Knowing my luck I'd touch them, the lace would snap and they'd fall in!! :P

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Knowing my luck I'd touch them, the lace would snap and they'd fall in!! :P

:D

Now I must at this point warn you- I don't have a great record with dead people and artifacts.

If you are going back try and connect with the subject...but be bloody careful:pac:.

• Advertisement

I don't have a great record with dead people and artifacts.

I won't ask!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

It's very moving, I've never seen bears with rosary beads on so it really sticks out. Frankly I love black and white images but I have to admit it doesn't work in the 3rd image because it seems to lose real depth when everything blends so close together. I like the first one the most because of the tilt and the focusing. The 2nd one suffers a little because the rosary on the first bear is cropped out.

I also like the depth of field in the first one there is more a gradual distortion that takes a while to get there whereas in the 2nd and 3rd image it just goes from sharp to blurry. I hope some of that was useful and of course rest in peace to whomever passed away.

It's very moving, I've never seen bears with rosary beads on so it really sticks out. Frankly I love black and white images but I have to admit it doesn't work in the 3rd image because it seems to lose real depth when everything blends so close together. I like the first one the most because of the tilt and the focusing. The 2nd one suffers a little because the rosary on the first bear is cropped out.

I also like the depth of field in the first one there is more a gradual distortion that takes a while to get there whereas in the 2nd and 3rd image it just goes from sharp to blurry. I hope some of that was useful and of course rest in peace to whomever passed away.

Thanks Lisa, I think I over did the contrast on the B&W. Thanks for the feedback and glad you like one of them!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

For such a poignant subject I think the 'exciting' angles you've chosen are out of place. I would have stood back, and framed the shot straight on to the railings with the river occupying a large amount of the frame and the memorial quietly to one side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

but it would be better if you only picked one to show, pick which one you prefer and leave it at that (one).

I agree 100% I also said this about the diving board c&c thread as well.

@5uspect I think you're right. I might go back and try it out that way soon

@AnimalRights Thanks. ill keep it to 1 or as few as possible in future!

Advertisement