Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€6,000 budget...any ideas?

• 10-04-2012 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Well i have a 6k budget and I'm looking for a diesel car that is reliable and fairly cheap to run. I'm 19 and will be using it for just local driving. It has to be diesel and relatively cheap on insurance. That's it really all ideas welcome, sound!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have you priced insurance on ANY diesel cars, just so we have a benchmark?

Also why diesel if you just do local driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bally2009

Yep have a 1.6 diesel 1987 mk2 golf at the moment and insurance is 835 for the year. I know no car will be as economical as that but just want a upgrade! Diesel is cheaper in the long run.

Assuming you could get something with a similar sized diesel engine that wouldn't be overly complicated, and have expensive problems that would cancel out any small savings you'd be making on fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Looking to make any modifications to it? i.e. straight through exhaust, lowering?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

What kind of mileage do you do per year? 4000 miles? 24000miles?

Unless its the latter it will cost much more in the long run, you will have an extra €2 in your pocket every time you fill up VS a petrol but it wont be cheaper in the long run

• Advertisement

View2-10462245.jpeg

+ €3000 for petrol tbh

I was thinking of something more powerful like a passat or bora, well anything with a turbo really. I know insurance will be crazy but leave that aside for the moment ;) Also remember I have a 6k budget so I'm open to suggestions...

Caliden wrote: »
    Looking to make any modifications to it? i.e. straight through exhaust, lowering?
    Yep, well if it doesn't already come with any mods I will put them in myself!

facepalm.jpg

conzymaher wrote: »
    What kind of mileage do you do per year? 4000 miles? 24000miles?

Unless its the latter it will cost much more in the long run, you will have an extra €2 in your pocket every time you fill up VS a petrol but it wont be cheaper in the long run
    I would say I do 24000+ miles per year but still nothing is changing my mind about diesels :P

• Advertisement

So basically you want a 1.9 TDI.

There is no shortage of skanked Boras, Pisshats and Toledos around the place.
    Be mindful that insurance ocmpanies like to know about modifications. They're especially happy when they can find an excuse to get out of paying a claim.

Why does it have to be diesel? If fuel cost is a big concern to you, surely a small 1.2/1.4 petrol would be better than a 1.9TDI Passat or something?

On the other hand, if it has to be diesel, I assume you have a source of green/red diesel...?

Edit:
    If you're going to be doing 24000+ miles a year, then you're not just driving around locally IMO...

Why does it have to be diesel? If fuel cost is a big concern to you, surely a small 1.2/1.4 petrol would be better than a 1.9TDI Passat or something?

On the other hand, if it has to be diesel, I assume you have a source of green/red diesel...?

Edit:
    If you're going to be doing 24000+ miles a year, then you're not just driving around locally IMO...
    Yeah maybe you're right but I also wanted a upgrade on power from the 1.6 I have. I know I can't have the best of both worlds but came here for some suggestions. I do some weekend driving too but not that much. I'm not driving long enough to know how much I do per year but I'd say it would be up around 24000.
    And yes I do have a source of green somewhere :P

bally2009 wrote: »
    And yes I do have a source of green somewhere :P
    Thought so :P

As said already you'll have no problem picking up a TDI Passat etc, just shop around.

Hi folks,
    Well i have a 6k budget and I'm looking for a diesel car that is reliable and fairly cheap to run. I'm 19 and will be using it for just local driving. It has to be diesel and relatively cheap on insurance. That's it really all ideas welcome, sound!
    I was thinking of something more powerful like a passat or bora, well anything with a turbo really. I know insurance will be crazy but leave that aside for the moment ;) Also remember I have a 6k budget so I'm open to suggestions...

How about this one?

Spoiler is a bit small and it's only on 19's though...

Or this one?

I think that covers your specs.

Advertisement