Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savings account instant access/long term

Options
  • 10-04-2012 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi all.

I would like some help and advice on what to do with my savings and have it make some money for me.

Currently I have about 7k in my current account with bank of ireland and 8k in an easy saver instant access account with BOI and 24k in a 1 year fixed rate ( 3.55% ) account with PTSB.

I save about 600e a month which goes into the easy saver account.

The easysaver with BOI is grand up to 5k, but after 5k the interest drops from 2.5% to 0.5% so I have to get money out of there now.

With my PTSB fixed rate account up for renewal next month and the easysaver past the 5k limit I need advice what do.

In an ideal world I would like to have an instant access or short access saving account with a good interest rate 3-4.5% but they are hard to find.

I would like to keep 4k in my current account ( for emergencies, dodge bank fees etc )

The rest in a good savings account.

A few people have suggested getting a flight to a tax free country like Switzerland, Austria etc an open a savings account to avoid dirt, but is that even legal?

Dirt at 30% is a killer.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I believe the off shore account route is legal as long as you declare any money earned from it as income tax. e.g. if you have €100,000 in an offshore account earning 4% interest you inform revenue of it and then pay income tax on the €4,000 earned as interest.

I could be wrong there though so hold off on that until some else clarifies it. Permanent TSB do a regular saving account at 4% interest. You can put between €1 and €1000 a month into it and the rate stays the same until you go over €50,000. It's instant access as well so no need to keep a huge amount in your current account and you can use it on line as well. I use this as my savings account and I find it brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 mazdamps

I believe the off shore account route is legal as long as you declare any money earned from it as income tax. e.g. if you have €100,000 in an offshore account earning 4% interest you inform revenue of it and then pay income tax on the €4,000 earned as interest.

I could be wrong there though so hold off on that until some else clarifies it. Permanent TSB do a regular saving account at 4% interest. You can put between €1 and €1000 a month into it and the rate stays the same until you go over €50,000. It's instant access as well so no need to keep a huge amount in your current account and you can use it on line as well. I use this as my savings account and I find it brilliant.

Thanks Almighty.

Do you have a link for that account.

Sounds ideal.

Offshore would be an idea if I had alot of money, but I am just your average joe putting a few pennies away every week.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

https://www.permanenttsb.ie/whatweoffer/savingsandinvesting/savingsaccounts/online-regular-saver/

Make sure the balance doesn't go over €50,000 though as the interest rate drops to 1% on the whole balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

instant access on lump sum

aib on line deposits or kbc. both about 3.1% before dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

mazdamps wrote: »
    Hi all.

I would like some help and advice on what to do with my savings and have it make some money for me.

Currently I have about 7k in my current account with bank of ireland and 8k in an easy saver instant access account with BOI and 24k in a 1 year fixed rate ( 3.55% ) account with PTSB.

I save about 600e a month which goes into the easy saver account.

The easysaver with BOI is grand up to 5k, but after 5k the interest drops from 2.5% to 0.5% so I have to get money out of there now.

With my PTSB fixed rate account up for renewal next month and the easysaver past the 5k limit I need advice what do.

In an ideal world I would like to have an instant access or short access saving account with a good interest rate 3-4.5% but they are hard to find.

I would like to keep 4k in my current account ( for emergencies, dodge bank fees etc )

The rest in a good savings account.

A few people have suggested getting a flight to a tax free country like Switzerland, Austria etc an open a savings account to avoid dirt, but is that even legal?

Dirt at 30% is a killer.

Any advice appreciated.

PTSB 2 month term deposit @ 3.55% would seem to suit you best.

All the options are here.

• Advertisement

Offshore is 100% legal provided you declare interest and declare the account to the revenue.

Agreed that the PTSB online regular saver account is a good option but the OP has a lump sum to deposit so a regular saver account is not the best immediate approach.

digzy wrote: »
    instant access on lump sum

aib on line deposits or kbc. both about 3.1% before dirt.

KBC Smart Access is 3.25% provided you have at least 3,000 EUR in the account.

Fungus wrote: »
    Offshore is 100% legal provided you declare interest and declare the account to the revenue.

Agreed that the PTSB online regular saver account is a good option but the OP has a lump sum to deposit so a regular saver account is not the best immediate approach.

He could still keep his 5k lump sum in his BOI account at 2.5% while moving €400 of it and putting his €600 a month in to the PTSB account.

He could still keep his 5k lump sum in his BOI account at 2.5% while moving €400 of it and putting his €600 a month in to the PTSB account.

The OP also has 24,000 EUR maturing that needs a home.

2.5% is a poor return for your money.

Again, the PTSB 2 month term deposit might be the best option here.

Drop feeding the PTSB Online Regular Saver account is an option over the medium term.

Fungus wrote: »
    The OP also has 24,000 EUR maturing that needs a home.

2.5% is a poor return for your money.

Again, the PTSB 2 month term deposit might be the best option here.

Drop feeding the PTSB Online Regular Saver account is an option over the medium term.

Ha ha. Completely missed the 24,000, I thought it was the 5,000 lump sump you were on about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement