Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warmer Homes Scheme - Problem's Being Addressed

Options
  • 10-04-2012 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of anyone who availed of this scheme, http://www.wap.ie/warmer-home.aspx

and that had problems afterwards and managed to have them addressed and hopefully resolved.

If so could you reveal how they got on and if they got any real satisfaction and how long it took to resolve the issues if at all.

Some Problems that may arise are:

Damp in walls after cavity wall insulation pumped in.
    Insulation blocking air vents in attic.
    Thermal Bridging.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Does anyone know of anyone who availed of this scheme, http://www.wap.ie/warmer-home.aspx

and that had problems afterwards and managed to have them addressed and hopefully resolved.

If so could you reveal how they got on and if they got any real satisfaction and how long it took to resolve the issues if at all.

Some Problems that may arise are:

Damp in walls after cavity wall insulation pumped in.
    Insulation blocking air vents in attic.
    Thermal Bridging.

Yes Danjo - just found a bunch of problems - major ones unfortunately. Will cost me a small fortune to put straight, plus ALL the insulation in the attic (including what I already had there) is ruined. Don't know where to have this addressed as am just now putting it all in writing to the PO box number they helpfully gave me when I rang the SEAI. They also gave me the ph no of the contractors who did the work and said I should get in touch with them. However, the warrantee has run out 5 months ago (Work done in 2011) and "their hands are tied".
    Will tell ya all my troubles if you tell me why you're asking?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Hi Obliq,

The main problem I am having is black mould in one corner and around window in back bedroom.

Also black mound in corner in Bathroom.

Both rooms are South Facing and mould only appeared after walls pumped, and only appears over Winter.

The type of wall insulation I had was were they drill several rows of holes along the wall and pump the little beads in.

I got some extra attic vents fitted which they said might help but I knew that wouldn't solve the problem. Have to follow up now.

1. How long does the Warranty last.

2. What problems have you being having.

Hi Obliq,

The main problem I am having is black mould in one corner and around window in back bedroom.

Both rooms are South Facing and mould only appeared after walls pumped, and only appears over Winter.

The type of wall insulation I had was were they drill several rows of holes along the wall and pump the little beads in.

I got some extra attic vents fitted which they said might help but I knew that wouldn't solve the problem. Have to follow up now.

1. How long does the Warranty last.

2. What problems have you being having.

With the company who were contracted to do the work for me, it turns out the warranty lasts a year. I don't know if that's regulated or average, or what.

The problems? Oh jaysus, I've such a headache from it I don't know where to start. Ok, the water tank was lagged, but the lagging over the top of it and the expansion tank wasn't supported and fell in on top of the stop cock in the expansion tank. Also, foam pipe insulation was poked down onto the stop cock. The insulation got water logged and started dripping down the outside of the lagged tank, into the new insulation covering the ceiling. The water sat there on the original plastic covered insulation......until it didn't any more. Floods, etc. Electrics blown, you name it, I got it.....
    Also, no vent put into roof cavity, so roof timbers are dripping wet and covered in white rot. How's them problems for ya?! :mad: I could cry, really....I could cry. Still in process of looking for some come-back off the SEAI and trying to get the sodden insulation down out of the attic. Fiber glass is very uncool stuff.
    Will let ya know how I got on. Good luck with the mold. I'm nearly grateful they couldn't do my cavity walls now (the cavity was too narrow) after what they did to the attic.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Would you recommend staying clear so?

I got Bord Gais to look at my house, the fee on the guide was around €699 but the quote was €4,000. I sent the price guide to the State Advertising Board for false advertising I was so annoyed with the gap.

Nothing happened.

Wow, that is strange.

On the above, a friend meets those conditions. Should she apply?

mozattack wrote: »
    Nothing happened.

Wow, that is strange.
    :rolleyes: Yeah, unheard of!
    On the above, a friend meets those conditions. Should she apply?

Well I was delighted about the amount of free insulation - till all this happened. Vents are now in the regulations, there is simple stuff that I didn't (at the time) know to look out for, eg. joints being loosened/the lagging over the water tank checked that it is supported and won't fall in....all that. I reckon it's well worth applying for, especially if she can get more work done under the scheme, like the cavity wall filling - I live in a stone house with converted attic space, (except this part with the tank) so couldn't get more than a small part insulated.

I'm contradicting myself, I know. I'd definitely go for it but I do think that your own plumber should check over the work afterwards (even after the inspection from the seai crowd) and I think any existing problems with damp will be made worse, so that includes problems you haven't spotted yet. I don't know what to say about the OP's problem with damp - I have a gable end wall with black mould all down it and the warmer homes didn't go near that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

Hi Obliq,

Speaking from experience black mould usual appears where there is a condensation point.... Your house in now keep heat in and the warm air is condensing on a lower temperature wall... I have a vent in my room and I still get it... So you can either dehumidify the room or repaint with an anti-mould paint or get a paint and add a mould resistant poison to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Kracken wrote: »
    Speaking from experience black mould usual appears where there is a condensation point.... Your house in now keep heat in and the warm air is condensing on a lower temperature wall... I have a vent in my room and I still get it... So you can either dehumidify the room or repaint with an anti-mould paint or get a paint and add a mould resistant poison to it.

There is actuallly a 9" vent in the room, their normally only 6".

Going to try the anti mould paint and see how that goes.

Sorry I got anything done as house was in better shape than it is now.:(
    Doesn't feel any warmer and now black mould on walls, and its less than 30yr old.

Advertisement