Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damage to rental house

Options
  • 10-04-2012 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm renting out a house and the tenant called me to say that the neighbours child damaged the exterior with crayons. He wants me to talk to the family and sort it out. I want nothing to do with it. It is his responsibility to repair any damage. Am I right or is this my problem?

Thanks,
    Gumby.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Did he invite the child? Then yes, his problem as the child was not properly supervised. If the child went over the fence or the wall faces a public street, your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

How much damage could a child do the exterior of a house with crayons? Can it not be washed off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

It's his home, but your house. The tenant cannot be held responsible for damage caused by a neighbours child. He has advised you quite correctly, of the damage.

If you were still living in the house, what would you do???

Then do it, but don't blame the tenant unless the tenant encouraged the child to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I assume that he is asking you to fix/clean it. You can't expect him to live in a house with crayon drawing on the walls.

Advertisement