Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Pc G5 mod and new build

Options
  • 10-04-2012 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭

I've had a powerpc g5 case laying around for years upon years and it's almost time to use it. I would post this in the modding forum but I need help picking appropriate components for this build.

1. What is your budget? [Nothing set in stone, my build below places it somewhere around 2100.]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming(some css infrequently.)/Video editing(few layers of 1080p at a time, badly needs to be smooth realtime playback)/3D Modelling(After effects count as modelling?)//Internet]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [no, have a copy of 7 professional]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility) [Have lots of HDD's laying around so may only need an ssd.

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [24'(dell)/27(catleap)]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [meh]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] Card reader would be nice, don't know how I would fit it in the case though.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No] Going to push every part to it's limit.

8. How can you pay? [HWVS]

9. When are you purchasing? [June, I know it's a ridiculously long time away but I want to have a rough price and have a plan for my casemod drawn up with possible hardware in mind]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Clare, building myself though but if anyone wants to pop along and help with some dremilling they can definitely give me a hand.]

Extra things to take into consideration, I would really like to watercool this, although I have never built a loop before so maybe doing it around a lot of money for the first time isn't a good idea. (H100 with noctuas would suffice as it's pretty beastly.) The case has huge possibilities.

Some ideas I've had for the setup
    16GB Mushkin Enhanced Redline Ridgeback #994057 (4x4GB) 1600 (PC3-12800) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM CAS 7-7-7-24 1.65V

Item|Price
    Intel Core i7-3930K Retail, ohne Kühler, LGA2011|€518.65
    ASUS SABERTOOTH X79, Sockel 2011, ATX, DDR3|€272.94
    Intel SSD 520Series 120GB Reseller|€170.09
    Dell UltraSharp U2412M (schwarz)|€260.10
    Special item: Corsair Hydro Series H100 (Sockel 775/1156/1366/AM2/AM2+/AM3/FM1)|€81.21
    4 x Noctua NF-P14 FLX Gehäuselüfter 14cm|€79.96
    ASUS Xonar DG, PCI x1|€25.83
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1427.77
    I don't know what to choose for a graphics card, I will be doing a lot of workstationish tasks so maybe a quadro would be the right choice? I have a 9800gt which I could use to power my display (and game) and have the quadro to edit with etc. (I have no idea if that would work.) Or would I just be better off getting a 680 and use the pretty nerfed cuda to do what I want.
    I'm kind of on the ram, and not sure whether I should get 32gb and have 8gb ramdisk and 8 ramcache, while keeping enough left to have several huge psd files open / edit in sony vegas. ssd is subject to change, but from benchmarks I've seen it's pretty much the most consistent 120gb drive.

And don't know what psu I would need for this.

TL;DR: computer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Osmosae

Best of luck with the build, just a few things of note:

What type of work are you using After Effects for ? I dont think theres a need for a quadro card in after effects, you could spend the money of a gaming card without sacrificing performance in the program, especially as you mention gaming as being one of the uses for the computer, quadro's are useless in this regard.

Any particular reason you picked the sabertooth ? Not saying yer wrong here, but you could also go for the p9x79 pro, little bit less expensive, and i dont think your really losing out on anything ? Also the sabertooth has a fan on the motherboard itself, while this can be good cause it keeps temps down, its another moving part that could possibly break on the motherboard. On the other side of things the sabertooth has a 5 year warranty i believe whereas the p9x79 only has 3. So again not saying yer wrong, but personally i like as little moving parts as possible.

The Intel 520 is quite new, probably too new to see if there's much longevity problems with it. The samsung 830 series is cheaper and has been around long enough for it to be tested more. There is also the Mushkin Chronos which is very good. In fact at the aria site you link above they have a special offer for a 240GB Mushkin Chronos for €204 which is fantastic value

I think you'd be mad to spend that much on a 24 when you can grab the 27 for basically the same price (again this is personal choice though, and will be more suited to what you can fit in your work space). That is unless you need some of the connectivity the dell offers, as the catleap is short in that department

Since you have the money to spend the 3930k is a very nice card (have 1 myself :D ) but are you sure you need it ? The i7 2600 and 2700 are quite good as well (and for gaming the 3930k is overkill). If you do end up getting the 3930k i can tell u the h100 is fantastic with it :)

You can't really use a quadro and a geforce side by side (i say cant really - there are some methods such as flashing the bios' but thats pretty dangerous, or you can dual boot windows with drivers for quadro on one install and drivers for geforce on the other or you can also do certain driver hacks but none are really worth it and all are pretty dam time consuming

Heh, just noticed your not buying till june, prices will have changed and new hardware will be out/about to be out so things will most likely have changed, i'm still posting this cause it took a while to write though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Osmosae wrote: »
    Best of luck with the build, just a few things of note:

What type of work are you using After Effects for ? I dont think theres a need for a quadro card in after effects, you could spend the money of a gaming card without sacrificing performance in the program, especially as you mention gaming as being one of the uses for the computer, quadro's are useless in this regard.

Any particular reason you picked the sabertooth ? Not saying yer wrong here, but you could also go for the p9x79 pro, little bit less expensive, and i dont think your really losing out on anything ? Also the sabertooth has a fan on the motherboard itself, while this can be good cause it keeps temps down, its another moving part that could possibly break on the motherboard. On the other side of things the sabertooth has a 5 year warranty i believe whereas the p9x79 only has 3. So again not saying yer wrong, but personally i like as little moving parts as possible.

The Intel 520 is quite new, probably too new to see if there's much longevity problems with it. The samsung 830 series is cheaper and has been around long enough for it to be tested more. There is also the Mushkin Chronos which is very good. In fact at the aria site you link above they have a special offer for a 240GB Mushkin Chronos for €204 which is fantastic value

I think you'd be mad to spend that much on a 24 when you can grab the 27 for basically the same price (again this is personal choice though, and will be more suited to what you can fit in your work space). That is unless you need some of the connectivity the dell offers, as the catleap is short in that department

Since you have the money to spend the 3930k is a very nice card (have 1 myself :D ) but are you sure you need it ? The i7 2600 and 2700 are quite good as well (and for gaming the 3930k is overkill). If you do end up getting the 3930k i can tell u the h100 is fantastic with it :)

You can't really use a quadro and a geforce side by side (i say cant really - there are some methods such as flashing the bios' but thats pretty dangerous, or you can dual boot windows with drivers for quadro on one install and drivers for geforce on the other or you can also do certain driver hacks but none are really worth it and all are pretty dam time consuming

Heh, just noticed your not buying till june, prices will have changed and new hardware will be out/about to be out so things will most likely have changed, i'm still posting this cause it took a while to write though :P

Yeah I'm sure with the massive upgrade this cpu will be over what I have now, a geforce with be more than enough to make after effects be as smooth as I need it.
    Sabertooth has only Digital 8+2 power phase but it uses better chokes, caps and mosfets in the power design to compensate, meaning 24/7 overclock degradation will be far less of an issue than with a pro. Also the 2 extra years warranty is nice.

Mushkin chronos is a non contender for me, the choice was basically down to the 520 or the corsair force 3, and the 520 has got nothing but great reviews whereas there have been mixed ones for the corsair. I've based choosing my ssd on their IOPS performance, rather than read/write speed which would suggest that the chronos was a clear winner due to giving the 'same' performance for a much lower price.

The thing about the dell vs catleap is that I can always return the dell if there's a problem, and from the reviews I've seen of that dell monitor it boasts very consistent colour reproduction which is something I really want. The catleap would also work out to be a little bit more expensive with the risk of it arriving with deadpixels and there's pretty much nothing I could do then. In an ideal world I would get a dell 27inch but at their current price there's just no chance. I'm also going from an apple 22" cinema display from ~6 years ago(@1680x1050) so the 24' will feel far too big, a 27in would be a ridiculous step up :P

I'm definitely going to need the 3930k(or the 990x -> 2600k replacement if that's there in June), 90% of this computers use is going to be photoshop and video editing. The gaming is an afterthought, really, and I just listed it as I was wondering about the whole quadro thing.
    Thanks for helping, I know it's not for a long time but I'm getting excited about it already :D.

the p9x79 deluxe has 16 + 4 + 2 + 2 power phase if your interested, bit more expensive than the sabertooth, but kinda combines the best of both worlds :), still if your happy with the sabertooth im not telling u not to go for it, just more things to think on :)

I'm dubious of the 520 series since it's initial delays and then introduction with no seeming announcement (maybe i just missed it or it was small though :), and again this is just personal feelings, not grounded in any factual data :D )

I'm not an audiophile so our interests may differ but the onboard sound on the asus x79 boards is quite good, do you need that sound card ?

If you do a lot of after effects work, and depending on the type of work, it might also be worth throwing in a bit more RAM

Heh, i know how ya feel, as soon as you make the decision to upgrade its hard not to keep speccing parts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Osmosae wrote: »
    the p9x79 deluxe has 16 + 4 + 2 + 2 power phase if your interested, bit more expensive than the sabertooth, but kinda combines the best of both worlds :), still if your happy with the sabertooth im not telling u not to go for it, just more things to think on :)

I'm dubious of the 520 series since it's initial delays and then introduction with no seeming announcement (maybe i just missed it or it was small though :), and again this is just personal feelings, not grounded in any factual data :D )

I'm not an audiophile so our interests may differ but the onboard sound on the asus x79 boards is quite good, do you need that sound card ?

If you do a lot of after effects work, and depending on the type of work, it might also be worth throwing in a bit more RAM

Heh, i know how ya feel, as soon as you make the decision to upgrade its hard not to keep speccing parts :)

Since you've mentioned the little fan on the sabertooth I'm starting to dislike it. A lot. :D.

The 520 has some really consistent benchmark results. a 240gb 'lower' end ssd for around the same price may actually perform better, though, I still don't understand but 240gb ssds always outperform 120s 60s and 400+s (I'll find out some day!). But I'm pretty much just choosing based on 4-5 independent benchmarks of all of the main ssd contenders.

Long and short of needing the sound card is yes I do :P Although I may choose to get a usb DAC so I can use it with my laptop also. When I get a harder to drive set of cans the Xonar would come in handy as it has a headphone amp that drives upto 150ohms IIRC. Currently just have a pair of Audio technica ath M50s which are only 37ohm so onboard could drive really easily. I may end up just trying the onboard audio and if needs be get something in the future < That is what I shall do. Yeah I've never dealt with anything near 16gb ram let alone 32 so it's hard to gauge what I'll need. 2 8gb sticks may be a better choice to leave me lots and lots of headroom to expand in the future if I need. But that does throw timings and speed out of the window. But realistically I won't notice the difference outside of benchmarks. I've been just trying to hold back from making this thread for a few weeks and I gave into temptation last night. :P
    Thanks for helping, and saving me from the noise of a 1 inch fan on my southbridge! :D

hehe your actually building a very similar computer to my own so it's much easier to see where your coming from :D

I'm running 32gb ram myself, and have come close to maxing it out on a few diff occasions, but they have all been inside 3d programs with dynamics and high res texturing. I'm not compositing very much these days so havent really pushed after effects, but that program eats ram like no other, and depending on your work it could be beneficial to have that extra ram. 8 gig sticks will indeed provide ya with more room for expansion, but by the time you need to upgrade to a 64gb setup ..... will you even be using the same ram sticks ? also the ram u linked earlier comes to ~€150 ... you can pick up 32gb in 8 x 4gb sticks for less that €20 more, or in 4 x 8gb sticks for a little more than €200 over at hardwareversand so if you decide to go down that road, its not that much more expensive

• Advertisement
Advertisement